Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: After Market Scanners  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
After Market Scanners
« on: October 14, 2019, 09:50:33 AM »
I've noticed recently that there seem to be a lot of aftermarket scanners that claim to read and diagnose GM (and other brands) electronic controls. Have any of you tried them? Do they actually work as advertised? I've started doing a lot of "concierge mechanic" work for friends, as well as my own cars, and find that a GM Tech2 clone could be a valuable addition to my toolbox. Your thoughts and experiences, please. Thanks.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: After Market Scanners
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:13:06 AM »
Check with Joe, he bought a Chinese Tech2 clone a while ago.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 10:18:16 AM »
Didn't work,  was missing a part that you can't get so I couldn't verify it worked.  All the reviews I read about the Chinese version was by people who already owned the gm scanner and may already had the piece that was missing.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 10:48:19 AM »
Good to know. Thanks. All of the reviews were pretty glowing. Glad to get your input.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
Of course a Tech2 isn't going to help diagnosing other brands. I haven't any experience with these but have heard good things about them.
https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Multiple-TIS2WEB-Diagnostic-Programming/dp/B01NACTAY8

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 03:20:53 PM »
Very interesting. Thanks.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
Of course a Tech2 isn't going to help diagnosing other brands. I haven't any experience with these but have heard good things about them.
https://www.amazon.com/VXDIAG-Multiple-TIS2WEB-Diagnostic-Programming/dp/B01NACTAY8

I got the VXDIAG GM kit from Amazon, it freaked out both the Cruze and Volt using their bootleg software. The cars would do random electrical things with the dash and radio, throwing a bunch of false codes and lost commuinication with many modules.  I wouldn't recommend VXDIAG for a Cruze or Volt for sure.

After returning the VXDIAG I bought a used and genuine bosch MDI from ebay and GM gave me a 30-day GDS2 license even though I paid for 3-days.  Not sure if the genuine GDS2 on the VXDIAG would work, but the VXDIAG pirated software is crap.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline MattM

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 12:44:10 PM »
If you get a highspeed blue tooth dongle and torquepro (app for your cell phone or a tablet) you can scan and datalog etc.  It works really well actually...

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 01:22:06 PM »
Not quite the same thing.  Some maintenance items need the Tech2 tool to program the car or do other features that a simple scanner will not let you do.  Your basic scanner is just a read only tool that may allow you to clear a code where as the Tech2 is a read and write tool that allows you to do a lot more.  Given Rouge asked about the Tech2 I am guessing he wants to do more than what a scanner will allow.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 07:34:09 PM »
Not quite the same thing.  Some maintenance items need the Tech2 tool to program the car or do other features that a simple scanner will not let you do.  Your basic scanner is just a read only tool that may allow you to clear a code where as the Tech2 is a read and write tool that allows you to do a lot more.  Given Rouge asked about the Tech2 I am guessing he wants to do more than what a scanner will allow.

Exactly
I have the Kiwi3 and use Dashcommand for simple stuff, I use HP Tuners for more detailed stuff and to be able to graphical look at historical data,
but I have a Foxwell Scanner to check for proprietary Alfa stuff that you just can't see in a smartphone app

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 04:02:31 PM »
Time now to jump back in. I took a chance and ordered a  Vident iLink400 off Amazon. It's bidirectional, so I should be able to do command functions. The price was attractive, reviews were positive, and the features seem to fill any needs I can imagine. Free software upgrades for 3 years. Currently supports vehicles from 1996 to the current. Maybe OBD1 also. I don't recall. I want it to diagnose evap issues, and activate ABS. The one catch for me after getting it is: it uses a Trans Flash card to program the data. None of the 3 computers in my place have a TF slot. I do have a USB to TF/microSD/etc adapter on order, also from Amazon. I'll report back right after I've actually gotten to use it. It comes unprogrammed. First program download is free. I'm getting the GM one. Most all other manufacturers are available as well.

Has anyone here used one of these yet?
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 05:20:17 PM »
Time now to jump back in. I took a chance and ordered a  Vident iLink400 off Amazon. It's bidirectional, so I should be able to do command functions. The price was attractive, reviews were positive, and the features seem to fill any needs I can imagine. Free software upgrades for 3 years. Currently supports vehicles from 1996 to the current. Maybe OBD1 also. I don't recall. I want it to diagnose evap issues, and activate ABS. The one catch for me after getting it is: it uses a Trans Flash card to program the data. None of the 3 computers in my place have a TF slot. I do have a USB to TF/microSD/etc adapter on order, also from Amazon. I'll report back right after I've actually gotten to use it. It comes unprogrammed. First program download is free. I'm getting the GM one. Most all other manufacturers are available as well.

Has anyone here used one of these yet?

Please keep us in the loop, I'm really curious how this works out. Haven't needed a ScanTool yet, but sooner or later I probably will...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 11:19:10 AM »
Rec'd the tool, and tried to download the software. Had some issues, but no time or energy to diagnose the problem. We were off to TX for two weeks to deal with family stuff down there. We're back home now, and I've gotten the device programmed for GM diagnostics. It seems the destination folder for the installer wasn't where they said it would be. Once I found the folder everything progressed nicely. I'll be out in the driveway this afternoon or tomorrow to see how it works. I will keep you all posted.
Go N.A.K.3.D..

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 02:13:53 PM »
Git er done!
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
Anxious to hear how you make out with it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
Anxious to hear how you make out with it.

He's "makin out with it?"  I don't want to know.....NO PICTURES please.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Rogue

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2019, 08:09:13 PM »
Sorry, Sly. It has a male connector on the end of the data link. That's the wrong equipment for me! OK....let's see if we can get serious. This crowd? I doubt it. I tried running basic diagnostics on it, and it ran great. At the moment I have nothing in need of repair, so I can't comment on the bi-directional controls. I did scroll through a lot of the functions, and it seems pretty user friendly. At this point I'm ready to give it a conditional 5 star rating. I expect it's going to prove to be money well spent.
Go N.A.K.3.D..