Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Least Expensive Way to Add About 20HP  (Read 3188 times)

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
Least Expensive Way to Add About 20HP
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:02:16 PM »
Hi all.....

Just bought a 2007 2.4 manual with only 51,000 miles....like New condition one owner garage kept.....
Would like to add about 20-25 HP or so...nothing crazy.....on a tight budget.

What performance mods would YOU do if it was your car with limited $$$??

Thanks!
Jerry
Look up and read Charles Swindol "Attitude"

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
Re: Least Expensive Way to Add About 20HP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 12:43:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I'm curious of this too, the cost.  This is in my opinion (I'm a boosted 2.4 guy) and hope experienced members can chime in with their real world experience tuning the 2.4 N/A engine because now it looks scary after putting this all together.

Estimated cost range summing the 5 upgrades below for a real life +20-25 whp: $1,675-1,850 shopping the two popular kappa dealers. This assumes you're the person bolting the parts on and flashing your tune with the rented cable (you don't need to tune, just flash the ECU).  Looks like you're in the Carolinas, so I assume you're near sea level which would help achieve your goal for sure.

1) Engine Re-calibration for the following parts a.k.a. Tune $275
http://www.ddmworks.com/Trifecta-Tune-UpdateUpgrade-SolsticeSky_p_626.html

2) Header $355
http://www.ddmworks.com/SolsticeSky-NA-Header-by-Solo-Performance_p_123.html

3) Performance Cat $275-325
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php/werks-racing-le5-kappa-high-flow-cat-p-1293
http://www.ddmworks.com/24L-SOLO-NA-High-flow-catalytic-converter-by-Solo-Performance_p_388.html

4) Catback Exhaust System $550-600
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php/solstice-magnaflow-cat-back-exhaust-system-p-920
http://www.ddmworks.com/Solstice-NA-24L-Single-Exhaust-by-Solo-Performance-_p_124.html

5) Intake $220-300
http://www.ddmworks.com/DDMWorks-24L-NA-Cold-Air-intake-for-Solstice-Sky_p_655.html
http://www.performanceautowerks.com/catalog/product_info.php/aem-cold-air-aluminum-intake-polished-solsticesky-24l-p-1266

Camshafts are complicated but may alone achieve your goal on stock components; assuming someone else to does all the work, maybe $2200-2500 for parts, installation, and a dyno tune.

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline CarolinaSolstice

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 02:21:12 PM »
Hmmmm...Thanks for the reply....looks like I'll be leaving her stock! LOL.......she does have a "drop in" K&N...I know, doesn't do squat for performance.
I'm thinking of trying the CAI...
Look up and read Charles Swindol "Attitude"

PONTIAC FOREVER!!!!!!

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 03:16:18 PM »
Hmmmm...Thanks for the reply....looks like I'll be leaving her stock! LOL.......she does have a "drop in" K&N...I know, doesn't do squat for performance.

If you want to upgrade your car I say do it even if it doesn't make your car into a racecar. The CAI will make some engine sounds and obviously the exhaust system will make your car sound cool, so who cares man do it if you think these things are cool.

Low capital expense with a good Cost-per-HP value is a dream with a little NA. Weight reduction would be at the top of the list to make your NA car accelerate faster.  You want least expensive, but the best value regarding Cost-per-HP will be boost or nitrous oxide. 

Nitrous = +100 bhp for $1,200 = $12 per hp gain
Boost kit = +150 bhp for $5,000 = $33 per hp gain
Header = +7 bhp for $355 = $50 per hp gain
CAI = +2 bhp for $220 = $110 per hp gain
Cat-back = +4.5 bhp for $550 = $122 per hp gain
CAI/Header/Cat/Catback/Tune = +22.5 bhp for $1700 = $76 per hp gain
Camshaft diy installed = +22.5 bhp for $1000 = $44 per hp gain, might be worse if my hp estimate is wrong

2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
Been there done that.  Dyno'd stock 143 at the wheels, did the air intake, dyno'd 145, exhaust 146, tuned ecm 153.  Was part of the testing program for DDM superchargers.  Stage I, II, and III.  Still running stage III slightly detuned running 294 hp 297 tq.   I had the engine built with carrillo rods, ceramic top piston, super tech valves and springs. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 12:58:49 PM »
Been there done that.  Dyno'd stock 143 at the wheels, did the air intake, dyno'd 145, exhaust 146, tuned ecm 153.  Was part of the testing program for DDM superchargers.  Stage I, II, and III.  Still running stage III slightly detuned running 294 hp 297 tq.   I had the engine built with carrillo rods, ceramic top piston, super tech valves and springs.

Thanks for sharing!

Back of a napkin analysis begin:
Stock 143 whp dyno number with factory rating of 173 bhp estimates a drivetrain loss and dyno error of about ((173-143)/173) = -17.3%

bhp delta estimates with -17.3% drivetrain loss:
Air intake = (145/0.827) = 175.3 bhp = +2.3 bhp with air intake only, +1% hp
add Exhaust: (146/0.827) = 176.5 bhp = +3.5 bhp with intake/exhaust, +2% hp
add Tune: (153/0.827) = 185.0 bhp = +12 bhp with intake/exhaust/tune, +7% hp

Looks like we need cams, porting/matching and a header to make the 20-25 bhp based on your experience.  Of course 15:1 compression E85 could double that with rods/pistons to keep it alive.

Stage III boosted + built bottom + valvetrain mods = (294/0.827) = 356 bhp = +183 bhp with boost, +105% hp, that's totally unfair and why we do it  :D

Critterman, did you like the sound of the exhaust system on the NA 2.4 though?

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »

Looking at crittermans numbers, you should consider the tune for the best value performance gain and the intake/exhaust for underhood-bling and sound gains.  You could probably feel the +7% gain if you did all mods at once (intake/exhaust/tune), but not really the +2% from the intake/exhaust alone.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 03:06:16 PM »
I have a custom Solo exhaust center exit. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 12:57:21 AM »
The tune will give the best overall improvement for the lowest dollar.  Max power numbers don't change drastically, but drivability changes very noticeably.  Power across the range improvements are more important at that level that max power anyway.  Plus, it is quick and easy and can be saved up for without any other items required.  The intake and exhaust are only really capitalized on with a tune, so by themselves, they won't do much for long.  Those smart learning ECMs will realize more are is coming in and command lower fuel / timing to compensate.  Whop bam boom, back to stock numbers with some more noise. 

Tune first if looking for power dynamics
suspension / bracing second if looking for over all driving dynamics
tires - depends on what is on there.  if stock - this should be PRIORITY #1.
brakes - get a really good set of pads and fresh / refreshed rotors, plus at 50K, it's time to change your brake fluid.

When all that is done, let me know. :)

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 04:38:37 PM »
Easy way to understand what GJ is saying is to look at the Dyno curve and compare the areas under the curve.  Even though the peak HP might be the same the one with the larger area will be more fun to drive.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline PonchoP

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »
Have you researched the "Sprint Booster"? Although it doesn't add any power it certainly changes the throttle response tremendously and makes the car a lot more fun to drive! It has several other advantages that you will find out about in the research. There are other products on the market but none as good. It costs about $325 and can be installed in about an hour and doesn't void any GM warranties or damage the vehicle in any way.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 05:12:44 PM »
Have you researched the "Sprint Booster"? Although it doesn't add any power it certainly changes the throttle response tremendously and makes the car a lot more fun to drive! It has several other advantages that you will find out about in the research. There are other products on the market but none as good. It costs about $325 and can be installed in about an hour and doesn't void any GM warranties or damage the vehicle in any way.

In the tune the throttle response can be changed to do the same thing the Sprintbooster is doing, but with the tune you also get the benefits of the timing advance, air/fuel correction, cam timing changes, etc. for not much more money.

Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 08:12:18 PM »
If it was my car, even with a limited budget I'd relegate it to "project" status and swap in an aluminum block 5.3...assuming you have the knowledge/tools to do that on your own.

Anything else is throwing good money away these days...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2020, 03:30:09 PM »
The Torqamp electric supercharger added maybe +35-40 whp in the Cleetus McFarland Cobalt on the dyno.  He did a second video with twin electric superchargers and made like +90 whp.  They claim 4 minutes of boost out of the battery pack and a 500w charger for when you're off boost, both are a green flag in my book that it is likely a legitimate product because the specifications are realistic.

Okay I questioned my statement and nerded out:
I don't know if its a 15kW motor, it's a guess. 15,000W at 4 minutes is 15000*(4/60) = 1000 Wh or 1 kWh of energy expediture at 15,000 watts discharge rate for 4 minutes. 

1000 Wh / 48 volts = 20.8 Ah, this is the battery capacity needed at 48 volts.  If they are pushing the battery limits then we'll say they are using 90% of the capacity (where a long life EV battery is more like 80% of the rated capacity).  So 20.8 / 90% = 23.1 Ah

18650 Lithium cylindrical cell is 4.1V at 3.5 Ah.  If the battery pack specification is 48V at 23.1 Ah, then it's probably 12S (12*4.1V = 49V) and then you'd need 7P (23.1 Ah /3.5 Ah).

A 12S7P battery pack would have 84 [18650] cylindrical cells.  At an aggressive 10C discharge rate, it would be capable of about 230 amps sustained, with the 18650 cells.  Eighty-four 18650 cells would fit inside the Torqamp power pack unit. One issue is they might be pushing it harder than 10C or they have some more capacity.