Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Another New Member from Colorado  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Duane19

• Apprentice/Gofer
Another New Member from Colorado
« on: April 28, 2020, 04:10:09 PM »
Hello All,

New member here from Colorado Springs, Colorado.  I purchased a 09' Sky Redline a couple months ago, after a long search.  It's Evening Blue, auto, all stock, with a little over 13k miles.  This is a car I've wanted since they first came out, and finally at a point in life where it became feasible, so I figured what the heck.  The kids are about out of the house, and almost an empty nester.

I've been a member of the Skyroadster forum for about 7 months and the Solstice forum for about a month.  Wasn't aware of this Kappa forum until recently stumbling across it from a google search.  I'm anti- Facebook, so I understand I'm missing out on yet another avenue to connect with fellow car enthusiasts. 

Anyways, I've been lurking on each of the forums daily, trying to soak up as much knowledge as I can, learning about all the oddities of our cars.  To date, I've only had to deal with minor common maintenance things.  My car still has original tires, so the next item on my list is to get them replaced.  The two passenger side wheels have curb rash, so I've been looking to find replacements before the tires so I only have to visit the tire shop once.  Harder than I thought to to find Grade A used chrome OEM wheels, everything I've found so far has had issues.  The drivers side wheels are nearly perfect, so I'm trying to keep to that level.  I've ordered Norm's fenders and replacement front splash guards to replace cracked pieces.  I plan to have the stock fenders repaired after removal, and then hold onto them to keep with the car.

After the fenders and tires/wheels are resolved, I probably will do the Trifecta basic tune, address the dim interior dash lights, firm up the seat bottoms, add the cup holder that was deleted on the 09's, and replace the stock console with the DDM console.  My list seems to grow daily, but that's ok. 

Such a fun car!  I don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon.  Anyone from Colorado feel free to reach out! 

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Another New Member from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 04:27:52 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 06:58:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum Duane! A lot of us are anti-Facebook.
Too hard to find stuff on Facebook, it's not a good archive. If I Google something about our cars, I don't remember ever getting a link to a Facebook page but I usually get lots of forum links.

Have you thought of just cleaning up and powdercoating the wheels? What ever you do get rid of this tires soon, even when they were new they were deadly.

Glad you found us, enjoy!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 07:02:30 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Duane19

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 12:21:31 AM »
Thanks for the welcome!  I'm glad I found this forum.  Some searches I've made have given me info I did not find previously.  Seems odd/redundant that there's 3 different forums, plus Facebook.  Anything else out there I'm missing?

I'm a big fan of the stock chrome wheels, love that look and shine, so want to keep it that way.  The curb check ground a fair bit of the edge off, probably beyond repair. 

I've been limiting my driving, as I realize it is unsafe.  The curb rash actually took the raised part of the tire sidewall too. 

Have a lead on a pair of wheels from a guy in CA who was planning a trip to CO, but this pandemic has put a pause on any definite plans.  He's not wanting to ship unfortunately, so I patiently wait and keep my eyes open in the meantime.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 12:30:51 AM »
Duane 19  ; Welcome to the Kappa Forum . One person In CO . is Rob The Elder  he has a Solstice & his wife has a Sky Red Line check him out when you get time' Enjoy the Forum .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2020, 02:49:42 PM »
Check out wheel re-finishers in your area, you will be surprised what they can do, and welcome to the forum.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Hi Duane!  Cool car you got there  :D
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline hammy221

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:08 PM »
to bad I just moved from the springs. welcome though

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 05:52:43 PM »
Hi Duane a warm welcome from Germany :cool:
Oliver  :usa:

Offline crisco

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • My Precious!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2020, 06:23:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum! Great group of people here.
I do go on Facebook, and there are several Kappa groups there, but yes it is hard to navigate. They most all have questions that I have seen here. I try to help, but mostly I send them here for info. There are a great many things to delve into with our cars and again the group that is here try to help!
On a side note, what tires are you thinking about.
I personally have great luck with the Continental DWS, they hold the road when it rains and great dry too.
Others have found luck with Pilot SS tires also, and there are a few others by now also. Ok Good luck with the rim situation. And Enjoy!
My Precious! 2007  Solstice GXP, Aggressive, Santana Cup Holder, Beachparty Fuse Box Cover,DDM Backbone Brace, DDM Performance Probeam, DDM Latin Venom Brace, DDM Oil Catch Can (Red), DDM LNF Intake Tube (Red), DDM Radiator Hose (Red), Wind Restricter, Solo Performance Mach Shorty Exhaust,...more to come!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 10:51:00 AM »
Welcome!!!

On your question about the multiple forums- I feel the need to point out a huge difference with this forum vs  the others. This forum is owned by one individual (Joe) aka deepbluegxp. The others are owned by massive conglomerates. While the front end experience my not seem too different, I believe you will come to appreciate this difference. The group here is amazing and the wealth of information here incredible. I believe there is more kappa knowledge here than remaining at GM.

Welcome. Have fun.
Make the right choices now

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 11:52:39 AM »
Welcome to the group! 

:thumbs:

Aggressive #000741

Offline Duane19

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2020, 04:08:50 PM »
Thank you for the kind welcome! 

Two OEM chrome wheels have been located, and new wheels have been purchased.  The wheels aren't perfect, but will do until I can find something to better match what I have on the other side. 

As far as tires, I went with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.  What a huge improvement after driving on 11 year old stock Goodyear tires with flat spots.  Anything would seem better, but time will tell.  I do notice it is harder to break the tires loose.  They grip very well.

Offline Duane19

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2020, 04:28:27 PM »
Just posted a pic of the car in the gallery section.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2020, 04:03:13 PM »
It's good to see another person from Colorado. I am up in Evergreen. Being that you purchased a low mileage vehicle the "standard" set of failures has not happened yet. Plan on s HPFP and water pump around 40k miles or so. If you drive th car like it should be driven you will want to pull the wheel bearing bolts and put locktite on them and re torque them to I believe it is 75lbs it could be 80lbs. You may or may not have the issue with the heat/ac blower motor.

I have some pretty sticky sneakers on my Solstice,  Firestone Firehawks. They are only good for 15k to 20k miles. But that is a non issue because I put < 5k on my car a year. It was 650 for a set of 4 mounted, balanced, disposal fee, and had the tpms sensors rebuilt.

I suggest this get done any time replacing tires. It's like a 3 or 5 dollar O ring set. I replaced the OE tires 10k miles ago and when the guy told me not to worry about the rebuild of the sensor stems. I argued him on it and said it's not worth getting stuck over 5 bucks and maybe another 10 for labor. He said it was a good thing I had him do it because 2 of the sensors had pinched O rings he was surprised that I didn't have issues with the tires holding air. My point is GM didn't do a fantastic job assembling these cars.

On another note. I am not that far a drive from you. If you need help with the car at all mechanic wise let me know I have not an issue lending a hand. I have worked on many many cars over the years. I have the specialty tools used to replace the water pump and things like that.

I also do custom fiberglass work and finishing. Don't buy the console with the cup holders from ddm they are to expensive for what they are. And to be honest it would be right in the way of the shifter. GM had the right idea with the one on the right hand side of the console it was the wrong execution with that cheezy pop out holder. I am going to be making a better holder for that location.

I have been thinking of moving my window switches out of the driver's door. I am not mini me so it's hard to get to the switches. I hope the engineer that put them there got fired. I was thinking about putting the switches on the top of the console near the shifter just like the 80's Camaros I would be able to delete the switch from the passenger door if I did that.

PM me if you are interested in meeting up some time. I am about to get into a huge project on my Solstice. I am replacing the driver's door, hood, fenders, front bumper cover and I am replacing the turbo, charge tubes, exhaust, intercooler, down pipe and I am adding a spoiler, side skirts, body bracing, and I am also swapping out the front brakes with 4 piston big brakes with a 2 piece rotor.

There is a huge amount you can learn about these cars if you are interested in learning.

Offline Duane19

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 12:31:47 PM »
Thank you for the response and willingness to help.  PM sent!
Duane