Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Harbor Freight jack stands are recalled. Stop using them!  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Harbor Freight jack stands are recalled. Stop using them!
« on: May 19, 2020, 08:31:25 PM »
These 3 and 6 ton jack stands can drop and if you are under there when it does you'll be pushing up Daisys. Take them back to the store if you have ones that are affected by the recall.

https://jalopnik.com/dont-trust-your-life-to-these-jack-stands-1843546730

6 ton recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E016-6561.PDF

3 ton recall:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2020/RCLRPT-20E027-9959.PDF
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Harbor Freight jack stands are recalled. Stop using them!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 11:15:46 AM »
While I have bought a few items at harbor freight, I always question buying safety gear there.  I mean how much is your life worth?  I tend to spend the extra few $ somewhere else.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 11:46:36 AM »
While I have bought a few items at harbor freight, I always question buying safety gear there.  I mean how much is your life worth?  I tend to spend the extra few $ somewhere else.

The issue is, what defines "quality" these days in jack stands? I have some that seem quality, but they aren't really that different from HF's stands. (Which also aren't different from anyone else's...)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the note!  I have these recalled jack stands.  They were spares, I have AC Delco units from 2007 that have never let me down...or rather let a car down onto me.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 03:47:28 PM »
The issue is, what defines "quality" these days in jack stands? I have some that seem quality, but they aren't really that different from HF's stands. (Which also aren't different from anyone else's...)

Set the stand on the floor or other level surface, do all the feet touch or does it wobble?

How are the welds?  If they are under cut, cold, pin holed pitted or otherwise look like an amateur did them they are junk.

How thick is the steel?  Is it angle iron or sheet metal?  I have formed 1/8 in sheet in my garage by hand and it didn't take 3 tons of force to do it.  I won't buy sheet metal jackstands.

If they have castings look for cracks or porosities.  Bang them together, if they crack or chip leave them at the store.

Basically look them over and ask yourself are they up for the job?  Does the design make you question if they are strong enough for the rated load?  When in doubt don't buy them.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2020, 05:59:22 PM »
The recall has nothing to do with the welds nor does it have anything to do with the castings. I suggest that if you have these that you read the document from NHTSA.
Don't assume that because the welds and castings are good you are out of the woods.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2020, 06:04:51 PM »
Agreed

The problem with these is in the design/manufacture of the mechanism that locks the height adjustment.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
Thanks Bob.  Well I finally got out to the garage to look at mine.  They look exactly the same as those pictured, but do NOT have the same product numbers on them, so I presume I'm good.  I did check the locking mechanism and it seems tight and firm. 

I guess I'll continue to do what I always have with jack stands, slide the wheel(s) I take off, under the car to support a livable space if the car happens to slip/fall.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2020, 08:42:55 PM »
The recall has nothing to do with the welds nor does it have anything to do with the castings. I suggest that if you have these that you read the document from NHTSA.
Don't assume that because the welds and castings are good you are out of the woods.

Bingo! Just because it looks up to snuff doesn't mean there isn't a hidden flaw.

All jack stands make me nervous. Maybe that's a good thing...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Steelmesh

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
    • Kappadapt
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 01:22:08 PM »
Bingo! Just because it looks up to snuff doesn't mean there isn't a hidden flaw.

All jack stands make me nervous. Maybe that's a good thing...

I always have the floor jack jacked on the side I'm working on, I have trust issues too.
2006 Solstice #1458, Twincharged LE5/LEA, 5757+M62, Werks exh manifold, Tial bpv/wg, Cams, dual meth, 40 PSI, Kappadapt clutch hose/flywheel bolts/trans mount, Aisin AR5, Stage 5 clutch
Turbo-only power 444whp/422wtrq

2013 Cruze Missile, tuned, 42 lb, ZZP SRI/FMIC/DP/MP/CB, Kappadapt trans mount

Support Kappaperformance.com!!  Note: a couple huge corporations own and control several hundred of the top automotive enthusiast forums subsequently profiteering from these communities on the backs of volunteer moderators.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 07:11:32 PM »
I always have the floor jack jacked on the side I'm working on, I have trust issues too.

Same. If I can I'll usually have the tires on their side under the vehicle too, or if I'm doing an oil change/rotating I put them back on before I go under the car.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 08:12:32 PM »
Second Sentence is all you need to read

In fact, there’s a tradesperson’s adage you’d do well to heed: “If your job or your life depends on it, don’t buy it from Harbor Freight.”

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2020, 09:46:49 PM »
Okay, you took your recalled stands back to Harbor Freight and had them exchanged. Well I have bad news, the replacement stands have been recalled as well. Here's a link to the Harbor Freight site.

https://www.harborfreight.com/js-details