Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Upstream O2 sensor throwing codes and dumping boost  (Read 3084 times)

Offline Reblacklaf

• Tech
Upstream O2 sensor throwing codes and dumping boost
« on: August 28, 2020, 01:34:28 PM »
Hi, I haven't post in sometime due to the damn virus. I finally took the car out about a month ago and she drove fine for several trips. Last month while merging into traffic on the interstate the car lost power and the Check Engine Light came on. There are 4 codes all pointing to issues with the upstream O2 sensor. Changing the sensor didn't solve the issue. This is an intermittent issue and the car does not enter limp mode. It will stumble then catch and act normally. Has anyone had an issue like this? My tuner said it might indicate an exhaust leak but that has been ruled out. He is booked up until December and I need to get this fixed now! If you have an idea what I should look for or know of a tuner in Indiana that has a dyno please send me the info. I've called several tuners and they say they do not work on the Ecotec platform. I usually work with Dave at PerformanceAutoWerks in the Chicago area.

Thank you for your time.

Offline Reblacklaf

• Tech
Re: Upstream O2 sensor throwing codes and dumping boost
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 09:00:09 PM »
Forgot to include the codes: P0103, P0193E, P2096 and P2195.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:36:24 AM »
Have you checked all the engine wiring? Maybe there's some chafing somewhere and a short? The codes are from O2 sensor, fuel rail sensor and MAF - all over the engine.
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Reblacklaf

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 03:07:57 PM »
I seem to recall having to take off the DeJon Cover and finding the wires were pinched after getting it back from the dealer over a year ago. I'll follow up on that lead. I'm a bit down at the moment as I had to take one of our dogs in to pass over the rainbow bridge and haven't felt like going to the garage and checking in to it. I'll look further later in the week.

Thanks for the heads up. It jogged this 73 year old brain.

Randy

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 07:34:55 PM »
Randy - Check your battery.  Any time a Kappa platform car has multiple codes out of nowhere, the battery is the first suspect.  Even a slightly low producing battery will give this car fits. 

After that - check your grounds and make sure you didn't develop some corrosion while the car sat. 

After that - fill up with the best gas you can find and see if maybe you just have some bad gas.

Let us know.

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline Reblacklaf

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »
It's been awhile. Hello. The code issue has been solved. One of the timing chain guides had cracked. This led to wildly fluctuating timing issues which caused the codes. Remember these guides are only good for about 50,000 miles. I would suggest that if you drive less than that that you look into changing the guides every 5 years. It looks like time as well as mileage will cause them to go bad. I think the plastic used really doesn't like oil.

Randy

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2021, 01:18:02 PM »
Good info, thank you
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia