Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: OBD issue  (Read 1652 times)

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
OBD issue
« on: September 07, 2020, 01:10:31 AM »
I have a 2008 Solstice GXP and I seem to be having an issue with the OBD port. I am able to plug in my scan tool (Innova 3130) and it reads the car. but then after about 20 seconds communications gets dropped. I reconnect and the same thing happens. It is almost like clock work and it drops 20 seconds after I connect. It does not matter if the car is running or not. I have also pulled the radio fuse because I erad somewhere that could cause an issue. The scanner works on my 2010 Lincoln MKS without an issue.

does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing the problem? I am supposed to be getting a tune done soon and if the OBD is acting like this I am not sure I will be able to and I do not want to shell out the money for HPTuners and the tune until I have the OBD issue sorted out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
Re: OBD issue
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 11:33:14 AM »
hmmm... I'm not sure I've heard of this one.  Just thinking out loud here -

Does it make a difference if your door is open or closed? 
20 second time out sounds like the headlight delay - though I have not idea how that would be related
Does anything else stop working at 20 seconds? Dash light, seat belt dinger, radio...
Have you tried a different scanner just to see?  Maybe borrow one as a test?

GJ
Make the right choices now

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:28:09 AM »
hmmm... I'm not sure I've heard of this one.  Just thinking out loud here -

Does it make a difference if your door is open or closed? 
20 second time out sounds like the headlight delay - though I have not idea how that would be related
Does anything else stop working at 20 seconds? Dash light, seat belt dinger, radio...
Have you tried a different scanner just to see?  Maybe borrow one as a test?

GJ

Everything that I have tested seems to operate just fine in the vehicle. The only thing is that there are no front lights plugged in at all, and the drivers door has nothing plugged in as well. I couldn't imagine this causing the problem but then again who knows this is a GM vehicle.  :lol:

Now that I am thinking about it I wonder if it is happening cause the drivers door is open when I am code scanning the car. Most times I code scan it and when I see what codes there are if any I unplug the thing. This takes less then 20 seconds to do so the problem could have existed for a long while and I would not know about it. If I want to dig deeper into the code I will then start the car which requires me to reconnect the scanner anyhow but at this point I would have closed the door to go for a drive with the scanner set to live data. Right now the car always thinks the door is open because nothing is plugged in. I am going to have to get the door back together and see if that might be the cause of the problem. I would find it very strange if it is because of something not being plugged in inside the drivers door, but not out of the realm of being possible. The GM LAN systems can be fickle sometimes.

I have done a huge amount of changes to the car over the past 2 months and the problem could be anywhere. I was hoping to ask to see if maybe someone has had the same issue and knows of a fix, could save me from having to back step through my entire build process checking everything I have changed.

This is what I have done to the vehicle in the past 2 months.

New/Used drivers door
New/Used drivers door mirror
New/Used drivers door OE glass
New/Used drivers door wiring harness
New/Used drivers door window regulator
New/Used drivers door window motor
New/Used driver door lock actuator
Custom fenders (vented)
Custom rear valance
Custom front fog lights
Custom front Turn signals
Custom front and side marker lights
Custom 2 piece front wheel well liners
Custom duct from the turbo to the passenger side fender vent
Custom duct to move air from the ram air hood into the duct between the intercooler and radiator.
RK Sport Hood
RK Sport front bumper cover
CSST upper radiator hose
CSST lower radiator hose
CSST coolant overflow lines
CSST engine to turbo coolant line
CSST brake booster vacuum line
Stainless steel braided oil cooler coolant hoses
Stainless steel braided coolant fill line
Stainless steel braided boost control vacuum line
1200 CA dry cell battery
Werks intercooler
Werks front frame brace
Werks rear frame brace
Werks front shock tower brace
Werks racing charge (IC) pipes
Werks cold air intake (modified)
Werks catted down pipe
Werks modified ZZP turbine housing for BorgWarner B1 center section
Werks turbo coolant lines
Bosch 3 bar intake air sensor with temperature
Bosch 3 bar MAP sensor
Stainless steel braided turbo oil feed line
DDM short shifter
DDM pro beam
Modified OE shifter handle (3/4" shorter)
BorgWarner 6758 turbo
Turbo Smart dual port recirculating valve (BOV)
Tial MV-S external wastegate
Custom wastegate dump tube vented to atmosphere
Vibrant O2 extender
Gates K050400RPM racing serpentine belt
Power steering delete
Silicone couplings on all turbo piping
T-Bolt clamps on all turbo piping.
New PET loom on engine wiring harness
Rerouted engine wiring harness
Rerouted lower radiator hose
Rerouted lower radiator hose
All new wiring harness retainer clips
All plastic rivets and x-mas trees
All new DEI gold heat shielding
All new DEI gold heat sleeves

I am sure there is some stuff I have missed.

Offline joybill44

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:20 AM »
If it is of any help. Whenever I scan mine, it is with the door open and the scanner works fine.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 03:13:50 AM »
I did finally track down the problem, It wasn't my scan tool that was the issue. It turned out to be an issue in one of the large clips by the battery. Give it a jiggle and the connection would become stable. The funny thing is There are no DTC's set for the connection problem and everything works fine in the car when the problem is occurring. I haven't nailed down which wire in the clip is causing it but according to the wiring diagrams there aren't any data wires that run through this clip. It's a strange gremlin.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:34:06 AM »
Thanks for the update, nice to know what happened and the information may well be helpful to someone in the future.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!