Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Does the key that came with the car still work after the ignition recall?  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Had the ignition recall done yesterday and just for the hell of it I tried the original slotted key that came with the car when new and it worked.

A new lock cylinder and 2 new keys without a Pontiac logo and the original key still works? Anyone else found that this is the case after the recall was completed?
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Does the key that came with the car still work after the ignition recall?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
They took my old keys when they gave me new ones.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 06:36:59 PM »
They didn't ask for the second key so they only got the one key I went in there with. I tore the house apart and found the second key when I got home as I HAD to try it.

That said, I know that the new key and not the original key is the one I should be using.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:49 AM »
Had the ignition recall done yesterday and just for the hell of it I tried the original slotted key that came with the car when new and it worked.

A new lock cylinder and 2 new keys without a Pontiac logo and the original key still works? Anyone else found that this is the case after the recall was completed?

Yes, everyone :)  It was a common recommendation on the forums, back when the recall came out, to tell them you 'lost' the second key, so you could keep another spare.  (That's what I did too)
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
I was quite surprised as I would have thought that they would program the key differently than the original for that very scenario.
How I missed before Mark is beyond me but thanks for the heads up.