Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Just bought a totally stock 2007 redline 5-speed  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Maytagman

• Apprentice/Gofer
Just bought a totally stock 2007 redline 5-speed
« on: September 29, 2020, 10:43:46 PM »
Hello!  Just Bought a 2007 Saturn Sky Redline with 5-speed manual trans. It is totally stock, but I just put a high flow cat/down-pipe off the turbo. Can't tell much difference.
I need some help from you all,  I would like to install the gm tune, but I understand there are other tunes out there, but which one???  I am looking for a nice high performance running car that has the speed limiter removed, with not retard power when when I kick her in the guts. 
Also are all the red lines kinda "flighty" steering, it's very touchy, even had new tires and dealer alignment done, it's a little better.  I sure would appreciate any help and suggestions ,Thanks much!!!!

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Just bought a totally stock 2007 redline 5-speed
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 09:06:30 AM »
Welcome.  Most people seem to recommend the Trifecta budget tune as being the best 'bang-for-the-buck'.  If you don't have a tune, the factory software will 'learn down' any freer-flowing mods you do, hence the lack of difference with your cat.

Not sure what you mean about 'flighty' steering?  Are you sure it's not just getting used to the direct steering of the Kappa platform (not that many have accused it of such :) )?
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 12:37:35 PM »
What TS said, but also check tire pressures. Sometimes they set them too high.  What tires are they? And what were you driving before - as TS said, it might be the difference that you need to get used to.  We used to see many buyers of new Sprites and Midgets in the old days that used to own an American bargemobile coming back to complain about 'twitchy' handling (it was just fast ratio rack and pinion steering) until they adjusted to it.

And I'll second the Trifecta tune. Effective, more power than the GMPP and also much cheaper.  Then you should see some effect from the CAT you installed.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2020, 01:18:17 PM »
There are several tunes available.  Wester's is available at a discount via membership on this site.  TS already mentioned Trifecta.  Those are the two most popular custom tunes.  The GM tune is fine, but cost per hp is higher than other options.  Warranty clearly no longer an issue, so GMPP tune would be lower on my list.

Flighty steering - take a really good look at your bushings.  While there my be low miles, time has effect on the rubber.  Adding some braces also help quite a bit to get more control out of the car.  If the tires are new and the alignment just done, next would be wear items.  There is a better handling alignment setting for the car.  I don't have the specs, but DDM should have them.

GJ.
Make the right choices now