Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Can't wait until spring  (Read 6369 times)

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
Can't wait until spring
« on: November 14, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
COVID world plus push to retire equals purchase dream sports car. Just picked up loaded 2007 Solstice GXP. Slippery drive home but in the garage and ready to tinkle on. Looks completely stock and purchased from a dealer so no extra info. Any ideas on how l can find out if any performance tunes have been added?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 06:37:32 AM by DeepBlueGXP »
Westers tune, DDM CAI - Charge Tubes - Venom Brace - Backbone - Probeam, SOLO Mach Cat-Back and High Flow Cat., Draw-Tite hitch with a Curt cargo carrier, Ultra-Guage Blue OBDII.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: Can’t wait until spring
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2020, 12:39:47 PM »
See what your maximum boost pressure is in a foot to the floor run (on a long safe straight, of course). If you are in the 15-16 psi area you are stock, assuming that you aren't living on the top of a mountain (altitude affects boost).
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2020, 03:06:59 PM »
She's PURDY! I know that you guys out there have been hammered with snow out that way and are likely yearning for spring already. Keep her comfy until the weather warms and you'll have plenty of permagrins in 2021.

Stay safe out there!
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 04:34:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum! A GM tune will have a sensor change in the intake tube on drivers side using only one screw instead of two. Looks something like this one.
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 05:40:37 PM »
She’s definitely stock, so as a newbie, I’m not into racing but more of an acceleration enthusiast, which tune is best for putting you back in your seat with a smile and no mod parts required
Westers tune, DDM CAI - Charge Tubes - Venom Brace - Backbone - Probeam, SOLO Mach Cat-Back and High Flow Cat., Draw-Tite hitch with a Curt cargo carrier, Ultra-Guage Blue OBDII.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
Thanks for the info, reading through the forum topics, eyes are sore and brain overload but getting the drift. I’m sure many more questions will come up but the more I look they seem to be asked and answered before.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 12:32:24 PM »
She’s definitely stock, so as a newbie, I’m not into racing but more of an acceleration enthusiast, which tune is best for putting you back in your seat with a smile and no mod parts required

I have experience with the factory GMPP and the aftermarket Trifecta tunes and would advise the latter as you get more power for less money. They are by no means the only tunes around, but I can't comment on anything that I have no personal experience with.

Your car is the same colour as mine (mine is a coupe). I am luckier out here on the coast - I drive it year around unless we get snow and ice on the roads, although high performance tires don't really like temps below 5 C.

Hope that your tires are fairly new - there are still some cars out there with OEM tires on them that are actually dangerous now.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2020, 02:44:28 PM »
Defiantly need to upgrade the tires. Leaning towards the trifecta tune. DDM offering a package for $1045 US that :

Includes DDMWorks LNF Cold Air intake, DDMWorks Charge tubes, and Trifecta Tune

Car only has 30000 Km so thinking about holding off on exhaust mod. Can you just change the cat. conv. to the :

Solo GXP Ultra High Flow Converter for $425 US

Is the stock exhaust 3” for an easy fit to the Solo conv. that I can do ?

Also looking at the :

DDMWorks Brace Bundle ( Probeam, 3/8” Backbone and Venom Brace for $444 US)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:01:34 PM by Rdesh »

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2020, 09:45:53 PM »
All good choices, BUT I don't believe the stock exhaust is 3".
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2020, 12:59:09 PM »
All good choices, BUT I don't believe the stock exhaust is 3".

Correct - and only some aftermarket ones are (Solo, but not Magnaflow etc.)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 05:01:57 PM »
Actually you can order Magnaflow on 2.5 or 3.0 sizes.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2020, 12:41:43 PM »
Actually you can order Magnaflow on 2.5 or 3.0 sizes.

Correct, but it has been reported that the 3" actually necks down to 2 3/4" or less at the flange, so it counts as the smallest diameter rather than the largest  (otherwise you could sell megaphone exhaust tailpipe tips that flare to 5" and claim you have a 5" exhaust system).
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 09:47:40 PM »
Ok, I do have the GMPP tune, the sensor was in the bottom hole and didn’t notice the top was open. Won’t be the last “duh” moment for me. The week was spent repairing the rear window defogger tabs as both were broken off. Modified the broken coffee cup holder with a rivet and metal strip (hose clamp band) and conditioned/lubed all the weather stripping and rag top. Impressed with the condition of the car.

Previous owner put 2 new Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports on the back and has 60% tread remaining  on the Goodyear F1’s on the front. I’ve never had different makes of tires between the fronts and the rears and thinking I should match them up. The issue is I can’t find anywhere that shows the Potenza‘s are for the GXP model only shows for the NA. Any thoughts?

Positive note I’ve ordered the DDM bundle, proBeam/Backbone/Venom Brace. Looking forward to getting under the car. Also ordered the BMW jack pads from TMB

Thinking more about the exhaust, Solo and Magnaflow seem to be around the same price, any votes for which has the better sound? Prefer healthy not shake the neighborhood sound.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2020, 09:21:20 AM »
The GXP and the NA cars take the same tire size so the tires only being listed for the NA is a moot point. If those are the tires you are looking at don't let that stop you.

The Solo systems are by far the most popular for our cars. They are a Canadian company and Jeff Boychuk there has the best customer support in the business. They are an easy install.

I have sent you a PM.

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 09:32:53 AM »
By far Solo has the best service and many options you won't get with Magnaflow. I did not care for the drone of Magnaflow, the only thing available at the time as Solo was not yet on board when I purchased in early 2007.

Is your 2007 a standard or automatic?
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 12:05:55 PM »
Automatic

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2020, 12:13:19 PM »
The GXP tires were speed rated higher than the NA otherwise like Bob said they are the same size.

Westers is another tune option and I think that members of this forum might still get a discount with them.  If I remember correctly he had one that worked with the GMPP sensors for even more power.

Shouldn't Spikey/Spicey/Steve from Solo be having a Black Friday sale going on soon?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the info, reading through the forum topics, eyes are sore and brain overload but getting the drift. I’m sure many more questions will come up but the more I look they seem to be asked and answered before.
Not much that has not been covered over the years on this forum. You have picked a good place to start and do your research with a good group of folks.

Thanks for supporting the forum with your LSM contribution, you now owe the rest of us (LSM) a drink to complete your membership! Gentleman Jack... time to step in and collect. He's usually pretty good with keeping up with the new folks and this requirement.

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 04:37:41 PM »
Sounds good, hopefully things open up for us Canuks to head south for the winter again. Does the Westers tune have the on/off capabilities?

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2020, 05:28:36 PM »
Sounds good, hopefully things open up for us Canuks to head south for the winter again. Does the Westers tune have the on/off capabilities?
No it does not.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2020, 09:34:17 PM »

Only by your right foot  :)

Solo is a great company to work with.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2020, 10:13:44 AM »
Slippery drive home but in the garage and ready to tinkle on.
I would not recommend that mod. Maybe it helps to defrost the car?

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2020, 10:32:13 AM »
 Lol

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2020, 01:58:36 PM »
Does the Westers tune have the on/off capabilities?

Why would you want that?  I can see it back in the days  when these cars had warranty and using an aftermarket tune would affect that, but today I can't see any reason anyone would want to disable the tune.  Want better mileage or driving through an area that only has lower octane fuel than you tuned for - just keep it out of heavy boost.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Rdesh

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2020, 04:28:48 PM »
That makes sense, my days of running built up cars was back in the late 70’s early 80’s with massive carbs, cams and gas mileage was non existent. If you weren’t showing off you barely touched the pedal. Like they said “pass everything except a gas station”. With tunes everything is basically stock and normal driving habits do no harm. Leaving it’s on makes sense