Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2006 Solstice Upgrade  (Read 2373 times)

Offline newgirlsolstice

• Apprentice/Gofer
2006 Solstice Upgrade
« on: June 17, 2021, 11:41:00 AM »
Hey all!

Super new to the car world, and looking to gain some knowledge on upgrading my new ride. I just bought a 2006 Pontiac Solstice 2.4L, and I am looking to either upgrade it to a V6, or put a Turbo Kit in it. Just need some pep in it, ya know?

Recommendations, thoughts?

-Newgirlsolstice

Offline wspohn

• Master Tech
Re: 2006 Solstice Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 12:03:31 PM »
Sell it and buy the GXP version - turbo already there and almost 100 more bhp.
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
1958 MGA Twincam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently sold:
1969 MGC roadster,
1965 Jensen CV8,
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Bill in BC

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 03:37:02 PM »
That's probably not the answer she was looking for, however it might be the most economical one.

That being said DDM used to have super chargers that could be installed on the NA Kappa you can check with them they also did turbo upgrades.

There are turbo kits for it there should be some thread on here about them you will just have to look and do some research.

Most go for a V8 swap however there is one forum member that is looking into the V6 swap that is a relatively new thread so should be easy to find, I believe he is in Brazil Agent008.

Welcome to the forum.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 03:43:27 PM »
Welcome to the forum, selling your 06 and buying a GXP would be the cheapest way to go.  Believe me I know from experience.  But what would be the fun in that.  Check the DDM web page and what is available at the moment.  Great customer support.

https://www.ddmworks.com/ 

GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 05:08:56 PM »
Welcome to the forum, and everyone is correct about buying a GXP.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline newgirlsolstice

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 07:04:33 PM »
Well here I am car shopping again already! Thanks for the info guys :)

Offline newgirlsolstice

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 07:10:26 PM »
Looking at $16,000+ for the GPX, compared to the $3,000 turbo kit, I'm not seeing the economical part in that. Is it the labour that would go into it to make the change?

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 08:52:20 PM »
3k turbo is just the start.  What are you going to do about the exhaust and intake?  Cooling the intake air?  All the thinks that will give you more than 30 or so HP.    I have around the cost of your GXP in work under my hood, not to mention all the other mods necessary to put over double the HP to the wheels, and be able to drive it.

Hate to be a party pooper.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2021, 09:46:06 PM »
I think Critter meant to say all the "things"

It's been a while since I gave him a hard time about his typing/spelling issues.

You could always transplant a GXP power train into it assuming you can find one.  Should bolt in without too many issues.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2021, 08:29:23 AM »
Perhaps Dave from DDMWorks can assist with the cost and installation of either a turbo kit or supercharger.  Critterman has the supercharger.  Fast....

Offline LatinVenom

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2021, 05:03:27 PM »
I second that, give Dave a call and see how much will it cost to buy and install.
Solstice GXP 2007.
Aggressive and fully loaded.
Mods: Magnaflow 2.5" exhaust, DDM Backbone & ProBeam,ZOK suspension,LV Kappa Front Chassis Brace, BTF Turbo Upgraded Wheel, Windristrictor, JPM Center console,arms,tulip,side doors,DDM Upgraded wheel tune.

Offline agent008

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2021, 10:17:24 AM »
Hey there. I'm the one looking to transplant a V6 into my base '06.
Current status: The Chevrolet Captiva (Saturn Vue) I bought at salvage auction and intended to be a donor is in too good a shape to be parted out. My wife convinced me to fix the car and either use it, have her use it, or sell it as a repaired car.
I've been thinking about an even more ambitious project - a V8 install. Not an ordinary LS one (LS's are so expensive around here! Like $10k expensive), but a Volvo B8444S - 4.4 60-degree DOHC V8 off a scrapped XC90 - that I already own and is at the machine shop for 4 years already, just waiting for me to go there so I can assemble it together with the shop assembly tech.

But if you decide to go the V6 route, you will be the first one probably. Or at least the first one that the fora know of. I researched this path quite extensively. The best engine would be the LY7 3.6 High Feature V6 out of a rear-wheel drive GM vehicle from around the same era as the Solstice. Second-best would be a front-wheel drive version of the same engine. That's why I got a hold of the Saturn Vue. Actually my story goes deeper as I first had gotten hold of a 2005 Chevrolet Omega (Australian Commodore) -- the precursor of the '07 and later Pontiac G8 as sold in the US. This car is RWD and the only GM 3.6 LY7 RWD model that was ever available around here (there was also the Colorado-based Trailblazer but they sold poorly compared to the turbodiesel version and are rare to find in parts-car condition). The car-carrier truck it was being transported on its way to me caught fire, so total loss and 6 months struggle to be repaid by the insurance. Then I couldn't find another Omega so I wen with the Captiva/Vue which has the same engine but is FWD.

If you live in the US the range of rear-wheel-drive vehicles equipped with the LY7 engine widens. Off the top of my head I'd say the '09-ish Camaro V6. Some Cadillac models (CTS I believe?) too.

Then, there's the question of the ECM. The earlier 2.4 Solstice used the E67 ECM which was also used by LY7-equipped vehicles. That means there is a V6 operating system (OS) that could be flashed into the Solstice ECM. But most likely the ECM will expect to be communicating to a BCM (body control module) from the V6 car, not from the Solstice. That also has to be sorted out. You'd need to make a new engine harness to go with the extra 2 cylinders (2 more coils, 2 more injectors, 1 extra O2 sensor etc.).
You would also have to solve the bell-housing on the transmission which I think is not a direct bolt-on to the LY7 (I might be wrong) - a custom adapter plate might be enough, or you might need to fab your own bellhousing. I imagine a Camaro bell housing will be helpful here.

It is a difficult and long, slow path but you'd have the most unique Solstice around. And with 6 cylinders it would sound a bit more similar to the German (Z3/Z4) and Japanese (350Z) competition the car had at the time. Also the power your V6 would make, in stock form, would be less than a well tuned supercharged 2.4 or a GXP engine. Unless you also had the V6 prepared with cams/injectors, or supercharged or turbo'd your V6, in this case you could have power levels between 300 to 450hp depending on how extreme a setup.

I'm willing to tackle the challenge - be it Volvo V8 or LY7 V6, whichever I choose in the end - but I am fully aware that I'll probably have the car in a non-running state for 1 or 2 years.

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2021, 01:58:47 AM »
Wow. This went sideways quickly.
Make the right choices now

Offline agent008

• Tech
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2021, 12:14:22 PM »
 :idk:
damn, sorry.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2021, 11:14:04 PM »
Wow. This went sideways quickly.

That would be a drift car, please try and stay on topic.

The best recommendation I can make is there are lots of mods that can be done, cost is only one factor.  At the end of the day only you need to be happy with what you choose so do what makes you happy.

You could always install nitrous,  didn't Kelu have that on his car?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2021, 01:30:36 PM »
Something else to think about.

Once you have the power upgrades installed, can you support them yourself?
The kappa platform, while not unique, tends to not be appreciated or understood by most mechanics especially at GM dealerships.
Modifying your vehicle, tends to add a level of un-reliability that you do not have with a completely stock vehicle.   Depending on the modification the decrease in reliability can be little to next to none, up to weekly/monthly maintenance to make sure everything is ok.

It's rarely a situation where you install it and forget about it. 

My car was a nightmare once I got it back from DDM, so I can't in good faith recommend them.  Ultimately my engine blew up, I sold it as a roller and moved into my Alfa Romeo.   

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2021, 07:55:24 PM »
To be fair your car was on the highly modified side of the spectrum.  Loosing a timing chain even in stock condition is going to be a bad thing.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2021, 12:37:15 PM »
I am not convinced the timing chain guides were installed correctly.  The engine that was in my car, was not the engine I dropped off at DDM.  it was actually a third engine and I was told the first one had to be pulled after they did the internals because the timing chain guides were not bolted in properly and stripped the bolts at a couple spots.  Then there was an issue with the second engine, so the one I got was the 3rd engine.

Aside from the above, I had a bunch of other issues.
The DDM Downpipe basically self disintegrated,  The t3 Adapter to the Manifold never fit properly and I had to have an adapter created and weld all 3 pieces in place.  The meth kit was never installed.  I had to do that when I got it home, even though I paid to have that done.  There is more, but I will stop there. 

Long Story short, they had the car for almost 2 years, did very poor work and did not do some of the agreed upon work.
As such
I can't recommend them anymore.  They were the only shop I used to trust and as such, I bailed on the platform.