Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Roof flaps broke. Now what?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline KEP3

• Apprentice/Gofer
Roof flaps broke. Now what?
« on: October 01, 2021, 06:11:27 PM »
It was bad enough that the cable that pulled open the tulip flap for the roof was strected into uselessness. Then it was the same flap moving out of alignment and not always closing without a good whack. Today as I tried to raise the flap it broke right where the cable attaches to it. Too bad GM didn't raid the parts bin from the Corvette and use its top mechanism.
Now to try to get it fixed. :cloud:

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Re: Roof flaps broke. Now what?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 08:15:38 PM »
KEP3 There are a few People on this Forum that may be able to find Parts , Just keep checking now you posted
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
Pretty hard to find these things. Hope someone comes up with a solution before more of us lose them.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 04:14:22 PM »
Pretty hard to find these things. Hope someone comes up with a solution before more of us lose them.

Time to start raiding junk yards??
Make the right choices now

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 11:58:28 PM »
What broke exactly? If you can provide photos I might be able to provide a solution to repair it or I may be able to make a replacement part depending on the complexity of it.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2021, 03:32:09 PM »
Someone we know had some CAD models for our cars, if the part in question is one he might have 3D printing a part might be an option.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2021, 09:27:37 PM »
A few months back I opened a dialog with the Heritage Center about obtaining the original CAD files for the Solstice. I was given a name and an e-mail address for a person in the licensing department. I haven't e-mailed that person yet, I am not sure how I should go about asking for the CAD drawings. Trying to get them to understand that no one is making replacement parts and as the owners of the vehicles we have to spend quite a bit of time and money reverse engineering the parts and then paying a company to make a single replacement piece is really expensive to do. Having to pay 1000.00 dollars for what was once a 5.00 part is hard to stomach. If there is any hope of getting a license it would have to be done so any piece made could not be sold for more then what it costs to manufacture, no profit. Otherwise licenses would have to be bought for each and every part being made. That's gonna get extremely expensive really fast.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 10:34:25 PM »
Probably need to know what part broke before we arbitrarily assign costs, or license requirements.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline rob the elder

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 08:21:12 PM »
I paid to have a flap scanned and a 3d model built.  I have a pair of flaps based on that model that they also printed for me.  They appear to be accurate, but since they are filament printed, they need some body work prior to installation.  I am working on them but life is getting in the way.  Its a possible path