Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Clutch Pedal Clicking Noise  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
Clutch Pedal Clicking Noise
« on: October 26, 2021, 06:42:19 PM »
Today I noticed a clicking noise from my clutch pedal when pushed it down (last ride before the winter sleep). :gaah:

The noise occurs when the pedal is pushed down just a few millimeters (doesn't matter if the engine is running).

Does someone know what's maybe going with my clutch pedal (2008 Sky Redline). :idk:

Oliver  :usa:

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Clutch Pedal Clicking Noise
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 09:02:41 PM »
There are 2 clutch switches. One of them detects when the clutch is all the way down, this one is used to ensure the car is not in gear when the vehicle is started. The second one detects when the clutch is all the way up. This one is used to disable the cruise control... It sounds like you are having in issue with the second switch making the noise.

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 05:20:55 PM »
There are 2 clutch switches. One of them detects when the clutch is all the way down, this one is used to ensure the car is not in gear when the vehicle is started. The second one detects when the clutch is all the way up. This one is used to disable the cruise control... It sounds like you are having in issue with the second switch making the noise.

Thanks for your help. :cool:

I'll check if my Saturn has the 2007 pedal version (2 switches) or the 2008 pedal version (1 switch) tomorrow.

I hope I don't need to replace something, because we no longer can't buy any spare parts for the Saturn Sky / Opel GT down here in Germany. :gaah:

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 06:03:55 PM »
I'll check if my Saturn has the 2007 pedal version (2 switches) or the 2008 pedal version (1 switch) tomorrow.

not sure what you mean by that. I have a 2008 Solstice and it has 2 switches. I believe as long as you have cruise control and a manual transmission you will have 2 switches. the only time the second switch would not be needed is if you didn't have cruise control.

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2021, 10:02:32 PM »
not sure what you mean by that. I have a 2008 Solstice and it has 2 switches. I believe as long as you have cruise control and a manual transmission you will have 2 switches. the only time the second switch would not be needed is if you didn't have cruise control.

GM replaced the two switches with a switch which has an upper and a lower position and for that they changed the layout of the new pedal. ;)

I still can't post any pictures (no provider), but I found a spare part picture (for Opel and GM) on the net.

https://opel.7zap.com/en/car/m07/c/18/1-0/

Number 6 is the old version and number 22 is the new one, I don't know exactly when they changed the layout in 2008 (found a hint about the change on an Opel forum and checked it
on GM Parts Giant)

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 01:12:50 AM »
OK I see. Why would they change it? It's still 2 switches they are just inside of one housing is all. Dunno why they changed it because it still functions exactly the same. Having a single piece means that adjusting the thing properly is going to be a pain in the ass because if the switch isn't positioned exactly perfect it may not work properly. Where as when there were 2 switches it's a simple turn of an adjustment nut while the pedal is pushed in or let out depending on what switch is being adjusted. Someone was trying to be a rocket scientist I think. LOL

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 01:26:03 AM »
I also want to mention if you do have the single switch don't screw with it unless you have a Tech2 scan tool. The switch position has to be learned by the ECM and in order to do this you have to instruct it to learn with a tech 2 scanner. So stupid. What was a simple part to replace is not something that most people will have to bring to a dealershit to get replaced.

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 05:12:07 PM »
I also want to mention if you do have the single switch don't screw with it unless you have a Tech2 scan tool. The switch position has to be learned by the ECM and in order to do this you have to instruct it to learn with a tech 2 scanner. So stupid. What was a simple part to replace is not something that most people will have to bring to a dealershit to get replaced.

I've checked my pedal, it's the new layout.

I tried to figure out where the noise is coming from and it looks like it's one of the two springs.

One is a torsion spring (which can be seen on the picture in one of my posts) the other one is a tension spring which is hidden in the housing.

It seems the tension spring has worn-out a little bit and is producing the clicking sound (in Germany we say klack instead of click, because it really sounds like the word "klack").

I called my local dealership and the told me (like I mentioned before) that they no longer sell any spare parts for Saturn Sky / Opel GT. :banghead:

Most of the time they ask me to buy a new car and maybe an electric one.

Honestly I've no intention to buy a new car and especially not an electric one (only when hell freezes over). :slap:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 07:27:49 PM »
Springs are pretty easy to find.  How hard is it to remove the spring in question?

Looking at your parts link one version uses two switches, the other uses a sensor.  The sensor probably detects pedal angle over the entire range of travel.  The switches will only detect when the switch is open or closed.  The switch is a contact device and as such will wear out at some point.  The sensor is most likely a non contact hall effect and will last much longer than the switches as there is nothing to wear out.

Check the USA part places and see if the spring is listed, sending one over isn't a problem.  If it's not available but you can remove it we can get a substitute specked out and sourced.

Before you try to remove the spring, grease the hook ends and see if the click/klack goes away.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Ironhide

• Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
Springs are pretty easy to find.  How hard is it to remove the spring in question?

Looking at your parts link one version uses two switches, the other uses a sensor.  The sensor probably detects pedal angle over the entire range of travel.  The switches will only detect when the switch is open or closed.  The switch is a contact device and as such will wear out at some point.  The sensor is most likely a non contact hall effect and will last much longer than the switches as there is nothing to wear out.

Check the USA part places and see if the spring is listed, sending one over isn't a problem.  If it's not available but you can remove it we can get a substitute specked out and sourced.

Before you try to remove the spring, grease the hook ends and see if the click/klack goes away.

Some guys wrote that it's a pain in the a..... to remove / install the spring :gaah:

I've greased the spring as far as I could reach it (the klack is not as loud as before), but we'll need to wait till next year. :cool:

I've sent my car into winter sleep and it's hidden under several car covers wrapped with yards of military cord. :buff: