Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New to Kappa -Old with Sky Redline  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
New to Kappa -Old with Sky Redline
« on: October 28, 2021, 09:34:49 AM »
Hi Kappa Performance Folks,
New to this forum, been member of SkyRoadster - just not on the internet enough to know about this forum. 2007 Sky Redline Bluestone - summer only, sun only!! - now 51343 Miles and away for winter.  Updating or modding every year - for 2022 - looking to replace OEM gauges with BlackCatCustom - and figure out how to put gauges where I can see them quickly - :cool: :cool:

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
Re: New to Kappa -Old with Sky Redline
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 10:35:44 AM »
Dylan ; If you are talking about  2 inch gauges DDM had driver side windshield pillers to house 3 of them . You might want to check them out ( Ihave them in the 1LILNDN )

Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 10:51:22 AM »
Hi 1LILNDN,
Seen DDM and other Pillar and also center dash 3 gauges and even flat screens instead of Radio panel - but way too much time taken to view when driving - looking for something that can be configured to give me CAN data with a small screen so can sit on top of steeling column - but show me the gauges I want in real time all in a row or 2 rows - Like an Ultragauge but better. Not Full Race - too big - Ultra is great size - but not long enough to add 2 more gauges - any thoughts? Ideas?

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:42:31 PM »

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2021, 06:20:34 AM »
Hmm - that is looking great - Excellent Work -
 but - don't want windows PC - rather go to Unix mini box if I have to program - was looking at Black Cat for the background and existing gauges - and running a mini flexible screen 2" height max 5" length and digital data only - no dial type screens - just data names and numbers -so can see instantly -RPM=3300, TQ=300 FP=320, AFR= etc all the stuff in CAN bus that can come out for viewing in Real time   

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2021, 08:00:05 AM »
Windows, Unix.. doesn't matter as the graphics framework is portable. I am more familiar with Windows and I already had programs written to handle bluetooth, audio, and other Windows API related things.

I have a stripped down version of Windows 7 that uses 10GB of drive space and 600MB of RAM after boot. This would be what is used on it. No shell/explorer so it would not be your typical windows installation. It kind of sits between a Windows Core server and  a typical version of Windows. Just enough to allow the graphics framework to run.

To have it work on a unix box you would need to have GNOME or the like so the graphics framework could run.
The code I have written is done in Python but that python code is going to be converted into C code using Cython and compiled into a C extension. This will speed up the execution by about 200 times.

I had thought about using the QT framework but it costs quite a bit of money to do a bare metal implementation with it. and having to run it on an OS like Linux or Windows provides no real benefit. And I didn't feel like having to learn a new programming language in order to use it.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 08:05:44 AM »
If you read through that thread for the gauges there is no need to use round dial type of gauges. It is fully customizable by use of an xml file. The purpose to using the round style gauges was only to show that it will work with the existing bezel in place. all aspects of it can be altered by the user. What you see in that example is almost all rendered at runtime. The only thing that is not is the image of the car. If  faster boot time is wanted the user can make PNG files that contain the static graphics.

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:10:07 PM »
Hi, Read the thread - understand what it will do - Just not wanting to change out all of the existing GM basic data and dash - looking to update the tach and speedo screens with BlackCat - but for gauges looking for CAN output to LED screen using the smallest hardware I can.  Windows is too big for me - Your stuff looks great But I only want numbers and colors - maybe some dots - not much else for output .  So screen is static showing short Alpha Description with Temps on one side, pressures on the other and Tach and Speedo centered - small and compact with only numbers output - with green to red color on the LED for go and no go. Can data is already in real time so just want to see it up front and easy.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 12:17:43 PM »
ah OK so something like a 3" or a 4" screen. I can easily make something that would do what you are wanting to do. Your other option is to go the route of using the Torque application with a bluetooth ELM adapter and a small android device.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 05:41:34 PM »
When the Kappa first came out, we used to use a DashHawk and it fit nicely inside the bezel of the left gauge cluster.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2021, 12:54:04 AM »
There is a cool thing I can do with the Kappas. I can display pretty much anything you want on the driver informant the steering wheel controls would cycle through the different bits of information.    :drool:  :woohoo:

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2021, 12:54:59 AM »
can also provide information on the radio display as well (OE radio)

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2021, 05:43:05 AM »
Yes small - somewhere around 1 1/2" high and about 5 - 5" long - strip - thin display only - mounted where I can see it - Like the Dashawk - So I can go directly from ECU feed into mini processor box with RGB output for LED screen - The current offerings from Holley or Dakota are with the processor inside the main view case making the package bigger than needed.  Awesome on the DIC and Radio Display - wanna chat one I get the overall design figured out -Got to look clean and like it was meant to be there - many thanks - will put design together as I can -

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2021, 11:29:30 PM »
I have been trying to find a transparent OLED full color screen to use as a heads up display. I did pick up 2 segmented transparent OLED displays. They are made to display specific things and is not like  a typical display that has a slew of  small dots.

these cannot be purchased any longer and I managed to grab the last 2 the local computer store had. I was surprised they even had them.

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 09:42:08 AM »
Hmm - Still looking for screen - but found what you have been doing with CAN as a Raspberry PI - GUI - https://bluewavestudio.io/shop/openauto-pro-car-head-unit-solution/  Open Auto Pro by BlueWave Studio -
OLED displays - what spec can you provide - I may be able to find source - as looking for same/similar.
Still looking at what it should look like and absolute best position to see all in one shot - and also look as should be there in Sky interior - and not space craft -

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
I am specifically looking for a Transparent OLED display that is full color and measures about 1.5" tall by 4 to 5" wide. It will be a display and a control board and the control board would be attached via a flexible  printed circuit board like what you see in the photo above. The resolution should be something like 384 x 128  resolution. A slot would have to be cut into the top of the dashboard for the glass to sit into but you are talking no more then. 1.5mm wide (< 1/16th) and 127mm long (5"). because the display is OLED it has no need for back lighting. and because it isn't that tall it would not block the view out of the windshield. It is also Transparent which allows you to see through it.  Black could not be displayed at all. Black = transparent.

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
Hmm - exactly the size I need!  They come from offshore if I can get them - Let me check - will take a week for all to get back to me -

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2021, 09:55:39 AM »
Hmm - found some 5.5" OLED Monochrome - but is really 256 x 64 and 5.5" diag - can get similar from Digikey USA

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2021, 01:06:39 AM »
I want a full color display and it has to be transparent as well. The transparent is the part that I am having a problem with. Locating a full color display that size should be pretty easy.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2021, 01:31:23 AM »
4.154" wide x 1.457" tall x 0.422" deep (3.9" diagonal) 16.7 million colors.

https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfaf480128a0039tna11-480x128-eve-1u-display

Make it easy to connect to say an Arduino, STM32, ESP32 or any other type of micro controller you will want this board.
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/cfa10098-eve-breakout-board

6" long ribbon cable so control board would not be mounted on the back of the display
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/wrffcy50-6-inch-30-pin-ribbon-cable

or a 12" cable is 6" is not long enough
https://www.crystalfontz.com/product/wrffcy51-12-inch-30-pin-fpc

They have a library written for the Arduino so getting up and running shouldn't be that hard to do.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2021, 02:00:28 AM »
OoOhhh here is one for ya.

It's a little bit larger then the 1.5" x 5.5" but it's one hell of a good looking screen. it also comes in at a fraction of the price from the last one I posted about.

resolution: 1280 x 400
pin header connection
7.84" diagonal"
-20C to +70C
touch panel

available interfaces: 8080/6800 8-bit/16-bit Parallel, 3-wire,4-wire SPI ,I2C
20ms response time
16.7 million colors
IPS display
800:1 contrast ratio
physical size: 2.82" tall x 8.73" wide x 0.2618 thick
viewing size: 2.34" high x 7.48" wide

https://www.buydisplay.com/7-84-inch-bar-style-ips-tft-iot-lcd-display-1280x400-mipi-for-car-monitor

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2021, 07:47:54 AM »
HMM - No - seen it already - LCD -and no changes to display areas - already fixed -  I am now in your game - Transparent OLED - and mounted same as you -  took pics of my dash with the current Ultraguage installed - AAGGHHH!  :drive:- works but ugly - so need clean, clear, great looking display - OLED small - They are made in Shenzhen Guangdong China.  Mainboards - STM32 types or better - Arduino, Raspberry PI etc tend to be a little too light - not as durable/strong/well built as STM which is more industrial.  Not sure of ECM interface yet - just - yes on the Transparent OLED - dash mounted - but OLED must be fully configurable - many Asian products are already preset - so you can only change some data - not the location or graphics type.  Look at Alibaba - for some of what is available - and if you find something - I can inquire from Asia to get full details.  I should here back soon from Asia (China, Taiwan, South Korea, etc) and get back to you with what I can find.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2021, 03:54:34 PM »
I have 2 of the preset or "segmented" OLED transparent displays. I would prefer a display where I can draw whatever I want and also have it be full color and not a few preset colors.

I am using ESP32 MCU's as these have enough processing power and if you get the WROVER version it has up to 8mb of RAM which makes i even better. It is multi core and supports threading as well. Comes with built in WiFI and BLE. Now what is really awesome is it has a built in CAN interface. it is called TWAI because of copyright issues with using the name CAN. A CAN transceiver needs to be added to have it interface with a vehicle. The clock for the interface runs t 80Mhz so no issues with timing at all.  I have been working with the folks over at Expressif and MicroPython and getting the interface code so it is easy to use and understand. I have written a program that allows a user to input just the bitrate they want to use and optionally supply the processing delay for the interface and optionally the physical length of the bus and the program does all of the calculations needed to set an interface up properly. It supports all of the major interface manufacturers.

Some STM MCU's do have a built in CAN interface but it is anything but easy to use LOL.

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2021, 07:33:49 AM »
Awesome on ESP32's - I have been STM for decades - so that was why - but can change - easily. Great with the CAN , WiFi and BLE and yes 8mb works perfect. You just need a good/great display!  See what this week brings in from offshore -

Offline Dylan

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2021, 11:10:11 AM »
 :donkey:  Offshore not good - 256 x 64 is best they do right now- unless you wantAMOLED -  4" OLED Monitor 360 x640 -or  4.95" 960 X 544 - like small phone screens - or flexible larger phone screens - 6" 1080 x 2160 Bendable, foldback, flexible, roillable - checkout alibaba.com search for buy oled screen -