Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: New to me GXP p0107  (Read 2475 times)

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
New to me GXP p0107
« on: November 20, 2021, 03:41:45 PM »
Just purchased an '07 GXP and have been tinkering with it. Looking forward to the journey. I've replaced the map sensor and am getting a p0107. I'm up for checking the pins with a meter, is there a pinout for  which pins on the connector are what ? I'm assuming there is a I'm assuming one is supply voltage to the sensor another is ground and the third should be voltage to the ecm. But which is which ? Let me  know if I'm on the right track or if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
Re: New to me GXP p0107
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2021, 03:16:38 PM »
gray should be 5V, tan should  be ground and the light green is the signal coming out of the sensor.

The sensors are easily damaged if hey get dropped so there is the possibility that it could have gotten dropped at some point.

Be careful and DO NOT short any of the wires for the sensor the 5v and the ground come from the ECM and if shorted can cause damage to the ECM. The ECM is supposed to be protected from damaged being caused to if you shorted them, I wouldn't want to find out if it actually  works like it is supposed to.

If you have a good 5V testing between the gray and the tan then you probably have an issue with the sensor itself.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2021, 03:17:44 PM »
Oh and if you had the code but didn't clear it it will eventually go away on its own but will take a long while to do so. It is best to clear the code and see if it returns.

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 08:17:40 PM »
Thanks. It will be a few days before I can put a meter on it...holiday and all. My sneaking suspicion is that the connector is wonky. When I changed the sensor I had to clip a wire tie that was holding it on, so something's not quite right.

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 11:44:39 PM »
So quick update, measured 4.97 v on the supply side and nothing on the return side. I changed the sensor and presto chango, all good. wire-tied the connector back as it doesn't seem to make really good contact ( i'll re-terminate over the winter) no codes now but low boost. Nothing over 2 psi under mile acceleration. Is this a leak problem ? if so where would be the best place to start ? any advice is appreciated.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 01:09:03 AM »
I'm going to assume that was supposed to say mild acceleration.  If that is the case, go out driving and push the pedal to the floor and see what it reads.  Mild driving doesn't show much boost but if you get a little aggressive the turbo comes alive and tires start to have fun making smoke and noise.

2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 10:23:32 PM »
you're correct. so i took your advice and got out on the freeway and it showed up to 13 psi but that was very quick most of the boost was less than 10. is what i'm experiencing normal turbo behavior (this is my first car with one) ? it would seem that the acceleration curve is quite a bit different than a n.a.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 01:04:19 AM »
Sounds about right.  With the variable valve engine you have a pretty flat torque curve.

Is your car manual or automatic?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 11:24:08 PM »
it's an automatic. so yesterday i was doing the heavy acceleration on freeway onramps. and the 40 to 90 was really quick, that's where i was seeing the 13 psi boost. I guess i was expecting a some type of kick in the pants get up and go, instead there's just  this smooth power add and all of a sudden you're moving really quickly. i was very pleased. not at all what i have been used to.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2021, 01:02:10 AM »
There is more computer control on the autos limiting the damage you can do.

You can change the traction control system and put it in performance/competition mode if you haven't tried that yet.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2021, 03:04:45 PM »
A turbo uses exhaust gases to work, so the more exhaust the faster the turbo is going to spool up the more the turbo spools up the more the air gets compressed and pushed into the engine an that turns into even more exhaust gases. So the boost pressure increase is not linear. It starts off slow which is what is called "turbo lag" and then ramps up really fast. The automatics do mess about with how the engine produces power. It's how the transmission computer has been programmed. Performance Auto Werks does offer a TCM tuning service that improves how the shifting is done improving the overall response of the vehicle.

13-14psi of boost is about the maximum you should see at sea level unless you have the ECM tuned. You can get the car tuned an bring the stock turbo up to 21-22psi safely and reliably. This will give you a 60HP increase which is a sizeable increase. The MAP and the TMAP sensors should be replaced if doing a tune.

Offline dolbygxp

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the help. The information on the tune is especially helpful, I may consider that in the future, righ tnow just enjoying the last few days of good weather. The car and I are getting to know one another, this is also my 1st roadster, so it is especially fun. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and i appreciate the input. I'm sure I'll have more questions as my journey continues.

Offline kgschlosser

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 09:33:13 PM »
no worries m8.

Don't hesitate to ask questions about the car. While you are not operating the vehicle is the best time to get educated and make decision on what you might want to do. It is also a good time to turn the wrenches if you have a garage.

The engine is good for 450bhp without having to do any engine work (depending on mileage). The engine was built fairly well right from the factory. It will cost some pennies to get you to 450bhp but when you put a dollar to HP gain it is pretty cheap compared to other vehicles. and if you think 260hp scoots  pretty good imagine what 450 feels like..  :drool:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2022, 07:01:58 AM »
There is two fuses in the panel under the hood that resets the ECM.  Pull them for a few seconds and put back in.  Then drive it like you stole it and check the boost.  Should show close to 20 PSI.  The ECM learns down the system and after some time, you'll be lucky to hit 15psi.  A tune will definitely help

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2022, 12:46:38 PM »
There is two fuses in the panel under the hood that resets the ECM.  Pull them for a few seconds and put back in.  Then drive it like you stole it and check the boost.  Should show close to 20 PSI.  The ECM learns down the system and after some time, you'll be lucky to hit 15psi.  A tune will definitely help

This was always a fun trick.  Get a tune, even if only to remove the smart learn feature. It really can take some pizzazz out of the cars that are daily driving in traffic.
Make the right choices now