Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Replacing antenna?  (Read 561 times)

Offline rockinpirate

• Apprentice/Gofer
Replacing antenna?
« on: December 02, 2022, 01:44:01 AM »
I'm a newbie here, so if this is not the right place in the forum, please advise.

Just got a new to me Sky Redline. Previous owner had just installed a Pioneer DMH-1770NEX head unit. He only used ApplePlay, and had his own cable to his iPhone connected directly to back of unit. The AM-FM radio had nothing but static. Everything works well except the AM-FM radio.. So I took to my favorite auto radio installer today, because I suspected previous owner had not bought the adaptor and connected the antenna.

I now can hear a few channels, but they are still faint and full of static (stations that come in great on all my other vehicles,btw).

The car came to me with a 5.5" stubby antenna on the right rear fender. Previous owner said it was not OEM. I do use Android Auto, so the installer connected the USB extender cable, and it works properly. But, my wife also drives the car, and she doesn't want to mess around with her phone and connections, plus I want what is supposed to work, to actually work correctly.

Any advice on an antenna? I don't care what it looks like. I value function over form. One the goes up and down would be fine, or one that's slightly higher than the stubby would be fine. Or even a better stubby that works like an antenna should. All help and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Again, if this is the wrong place, please let me know, or mods can move it to correct spot.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Replacing antenna?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 09:49:26 AM »
As you noticed, the stubby antenna is only good for stations that are close to you, I've been there myself and it didn't work well at all. A lot of us have changed to the Opel GT antenna simply because it's shorter and works as well as the OE antenna. The stubby antenna will unscrew from the base unless it's badly corroded and an OE antenna will screw right on.

The Opel GT antenna looks like this, the OE antenna is a little longer.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 10:20:36 AM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 10:18:03 PM »
You might also check to make sure the antena cable hasn't gotten damaged by something like the convertible top mechanism.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Gentleman Jack

• Chief Financial Officer, Color Professional
  • Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
  • I'm here. If I wasn't here, I'd be there.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 12:37:38 PM »
You might also check to make sure the antena cable hasn't gotten damaged by something like the convertible top mechanism.

Or simply disconnect led on the antenna end.
Make the right choices now