Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Converting a 2.4 turbo back to NA  (Read 1183 times)

Offline SummerSolstice2006

• Apprentice/Gofer
Converting a 2.4 turbo back to NA
« on: May 01, 2023, 11:31:50 PM »
Hello, I bought a beautiful 2006 2.4 with turbo conversion, and was wondering whats involved in removing the turbo and putting it back to NA? It probably doesn't matter but its a small turbo 5 to 7 psi, 60k on the clock.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
Re: Converting a 2.4 turbo back to NA
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 07:59:44 PM »
Generally speaking you would have to remove the turbo and exhaust related parts as well as the intake related parts.  Source the stock parts that were removed for the turbo install and then reinstall them.  And then the tune would need to be updated.

If you really want to do this I would say give DDM or one of the other vendors that was doing these upgrades a call and see what take off parts they might still have.

Maybe go drive a NA and see if that's what you really want as a first step.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline SummerSolstice2006

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2023, 07:42:28 AM »
Generally speaking you would have to remove the turbo and exhaust related parts as well as the intake related parts.  Source the stock parts that were removed for the turbo install and then reinstall them.  And then the tune would need to be updated.

If you really want to do this I would say give DDM or one of the other vendors that was doing these upgrades a call and see what take off parts they might still have.

Maybe go drive a NA and see if that's what you really want as a first step.

You know what, that's actually a very good idea - To find a NA Solstice in my area and take it for a spin to see if I would even be remotely satisfied with the performance. 

I will definitely call DDM and PERFORMANCE AUTO WERKS per your suggestion.
I also have a site i found recently that parts out wrecked Solstice & Sky. The prices surprised me too, very fair prices!

I'd have to put a single exhaust as I have dual. Remove the intercooler and all that, and I can sell every part I remove. Only thing I have to find out more about is what happens to the "lines" like the oil feed line that had to be drilled into the block and attached from there to the turbo. I have to see about plugging that hole.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2023, 01:12:19 PM »
Something else to keep in mind the turbo might be giving you better gas mileage.  I know the GXP actually had a higher rating then the NA.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 03:41:46 PM »
Something else to keep in mind the turbo might be giving you better gas mileage.  I know the GXP actually had a higher rating then the NA.

They are geared differently both in the transmission and the rear.  A word of caution - once you been blown it is hard to go back.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline JRinKY

• Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 04:01:10 PM »
They are geared differently both in the transmission and the rear.  A word of caution - once you been blown it is hard to go back.
The final drive is taller, but the transmission is the same for the NA and the GXP/RL.

The GXP/RL's smaller displacement also contributes to the better efficiency.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 06:39:46 PM »
A word of caution - once you been blown it is hard to go back.

Hey there sailor

This is a family forum
:lol:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 07:22:45 PM »
I also seem to recall people with the turbo NA saying gas mileage went up after the turbo.  But I have no proof of that so it could be BS.

Critter you be careful.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 11:39:43 AM »
Jeez guys don't you know anything?  You need to get your minds out of the gutter!

A blown engine is one that either has forced induction (supercharger or turbo) or has come apart from over exertion.  And once you have driven a forced induction engine you will not be happy with the N/A version.

The gearbox on the N/A has a longer 3rd gear for sure, not so sure about 4th and 5th.   The GXP gears are tighter in ratio.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2023, 12:37:58 PM »
It doesn't have to be over exercising it could just be assembled poorly.  Isn't that right Elff?
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline agent008

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »
I think there was a running change on the 3rd gear ratio which applied to both NA and turbo's in either 2007 or 2008. 2006's for sure still have the Colorado ratios which makes 3rd a bit far from 2nd -- great for the NA, not sure how good it is for the turbo.