Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How To - Install a Power Antenna  (Read 5666 times)

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
How To - Install a Power Antenna
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:40 PM »
Why?, I didn't really like the OEM one. And got try of taking off the OEM one every time I covered my car. So after looking into the space I have to work with & what Power (automatic) Antenna's was out there. This is what I came up with.

WARNING mod is not for the faint of hart. You'll need to drill 3 holes & endlarge one.

Tools:

jack & jack stands & lug wrench

socket set; 1/4 drive, 7mm, 8mm & 10mm

screwdrives; #2 phillis, 1/4 flat head & Panel removal tool.

wiring;  soldering gun or iron & wire strippers & solderless connector crimpers, multimeter.

Drilling; 90deg. drill is best, but a small reg. drill will work. 1\8" & 1/4 drill bit & 1/8"-1/2" & 1/2"-1" step drill bit.

Supplies:

Antennaworks; Remote motor fully automatic AM/FM Antenna (MFG part#44-PW6) I bought mine at J.C.Whitney. (Thier catalog #830048)
 solder, black tape, heat shrink, quick disconnects solderless connector, zip-ties, black RV sealent, small push on/push off switch, Motorola to male BNC RF adapter, Solderless UG-88 male BNC plug, female BNC connector & masking tape, two  6mm bolt. no shorter then 30mm with matching nuts & washers.

If I forgot anything, look at the pics. or PM with "?".

Let's get it started;

1) Jack up right rear of car & remove RR tire. Place jack stand under frame & let car down.

2) Remove inner fender(IF). There's 2 10mm bolt to frame & 4 push in plastic retainer's on the rear of the (IF) & 3 in the front & 3 under the rocker panel.

3) Pop the tunk, remove rubber bolt protector & the 10mm nut that hold the elastic strap to the top. Pull out the tops drain tube. Then pull back right hand side truck cover. You'll see the OEM connector. Disconnect it & push the wire & rubber grommet threw the truck tube. Remove the antenna's top retainer nut & the two 10mm nut & bolt under neath.Now you can remove the OEM's antenna from the car.

4) Take out you new antenna. Read the install paper work. & deside 1 of 6 mounting Base's you want to use. I use the Flush adjustable one.

5) The base I use. Requires a 1" hole. To do this right. I put masking tape over the OEM hole & used the 1/2"-1" step drill & drilled out the OEM hole to  1".

6) The 2nd hole is 3/4". I used both step drill bits. Look at pic. to get a idea of where to put the hole loc. About 60mm high, 50mm over.

7) Take your antenna apart, 1st remove the antenna's retaining nut. 2nd touch the blue & red wire to the + post of the batt. & then the black wire to a good ground. This will raise the antenna & remove it from the motor cable assembly. 3rd remove the 3 P#2 screws at the bottem of the antenna housing & the cable meet. Remove antenna housing. 4th remove the 2 P#2 screws that hold the cable to the motor.
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: How To - Install a Power Antenna
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 07:51:19 PM »
8) Put cable threw both hole. From to bottom. Pull top of cable into the tire area & install the antenna housing & antenna wire & put it back under the hole with the under side mounting hardwear. Then feed the antenna back though the housing & cable. Now hook up the red wire to the + post & the black to the a good ground. this will  pull the antenna back down. Stop half way and reinstail cable to the motor. Reinstall the antenna's retaining nut.

9) Run cable down into cavity between the in front of the inner fender & back up so the motor is above the inner fender. bend your mounting braces like my pics. Drill 2  1/4" holes in the fender & trunk tab, mount motor. I also use a zip-tie to hold the front of the motor housing to another tab. I put a good dab of RV sealent where ever the antenna cable touches the sheet metal.
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:12 PM »
10) The rest of the pics. are self-explanatory.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 07:52:56 PM »
Use the BNC connectors to make your quick disconnect to the OEM antenna cable. Then run the red & blue wires along the OEM antenna cable.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 07:54:17 PM »
Red wire is hook to the red wire on the acc outlet.

Blue wire is hook to the brown (3rd) wire from the key switch.

The red botten switch is wire inline with the blue wire. So you can put the antenna up only when you want or have it go up & down with the key.

Their is two cons to this mod, 1) you have to drill holes in you baby. 2) When the antenna is up. It make a noticable wind noise (nothing the stereo can't drown out) at highway speeds. Some people my not like it.

If you have any "?" just PM me or post up.

Mike

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »
Finish look,

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »
Wow great job ! Im jealous!  I would've got a shorter antenna if possible but this looks great !
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
If ever there was an award for the best post in a do-it-yourself section of the forum, that would be it for my vote. Nice job Hammer Down!

:award: :award: :award:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 08:07:49 PM »
Thanks, I live in very hilly area. A short antenna that wouldn't have to be removed, to put my car cover on. Wouldn't get any radio signal.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:12:35 PM »
If ever there was an award for the best post in a do-it-yourself section of the forum, that would be it for my vote. Nice job Hammer Down!

:award: :award: :award:

Thanks again.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:15:15 AM »
Great job, I have an aftermarket radio that could take advantage of that antenna.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »
Update:

I installed a Power Antenna a few yrs. ago. When the antenna is up. It make a noticable medium pitch wind noise at highway speeds. I tilted it toward the rear of the car, about 20deg. The wind noise is almost gone.

Mike  

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 11:30:50 PM »
Mike ; You have my Vote for Best right-up of a DIY Mod. GR8 instructions and Pictures. If i get one your the person I'll have install it. Maybe at the next Mods Meet.     :award:

:thumbs:    :urock:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass