Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Westers Tune Dyno Run  (Read 14750 times)

Ben L

Re: Westers Tune Dyno Run
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2009, 06:27:59 AM »
Nice Hi-Res photo, Joe!

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »
No,
I was making reference to the RWHP mine was 238 RWHP.
I am having DeepBlueGXP and Randy from DDM take a look at the files.
I did not feel very comfortable with the knowledge of the people running the Dyno and my car.
The parameters he put down were way to close. 4000RPM to 5300RPM.
Also the car although it was strap down would move side ways on the roller when applying a lot of power to do the run.

If my car had been moving around on the roller I would not have been impressed either. Mine was cinched down tight but in such a fashion that it pressed it down too much.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
Nice Hi-Res photo, Joe!

Thank you,  I love this digi cam :)  It was only $150 at costco too :)

If my car had been moving around on the roller I would not have been impressed either. Mine was cinched down tight but in such a fashion that it pressed it down too much.

True...i'd probably have them tighten things up if I saw my car moving around on the roller.  Last dyno I did my tires were just fine.
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

lil goat

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 01:18:22 PM »
LV a 4000 to 5300 run is not very useful for our cars, most have peak torque down closer to 3000, mine is at about 3300 and I am still making over 225 hp at 6200.

The infamous wastegate, ah. Yes I am familiar with Lyndon's teaching's I was the test mule. We started with the wastegate all the way out, about 80% of the time when I nailed it the car would bog down and not do much, the other 20% it would some how catch and hit 25 lbs of boost and hold, scare the crap out of me as you would be crawling up someones butt in a hurry but it was very inconsistant, so we started dialing it back, he was testing on his 2008 I was testing on the 2007, mine is set in the middle at the moment, I have no clue as to what it was stock. Lyndon decided he needed to have a point of refference, so the tunes would perform similarly on different cars. There is a slight variance in how the wastegate comes adjusted from the factory, so what is the perfect place for the adjustment is still a variable, what you ideally want is the most threads you can get without getting knock. Lyndon has you set it to where you will get great performance and no knock, as knock can do some serious damage. Idealy you would adjust this while on a dyno as no two turbo's or wastegates are excatly the same, good luck with that,  I know how much I want to reach down and try and adjust the wastegate with the turbo at 1800 degree's. The setting Lyndon uses is safe and will run well on 99% of cars, but there is still a little bit left on the table if you want to try. Just be careful and as they say, at your own risk.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 02:00:48 PM »
Goat, I am not going to dyno my car every time I do a minor tweak. That said, I can do runs with HPT hooked up and see what the ECM sees. If I get knock the KR will show it, even if I don't feel or hear it. Haven't touched my WD rod yet, but will. The nuts on my rod (this all sounds SO wrong  :lol: ) are very right (see?). So, continuing with this somewhat unpleasant line of questions and statements, (are you ready?) how did you handle your nuts?

(Okay, go for it !!!!!!!!)
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 03:37:36 PM »
Wow goat, 225 hp @ 6200 is impressive, mine was at about 160hp @ 6200 :(

And about KR, do you guys ALWAYS see 0 ??  Or do you see 2-3 maybe spikes of 5-7 ?
Under hard acceleration and also half throttle? Just wondering.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 05:40:05 PM »
Wow goat, 225 hp @ 6200 is impressive, mine was at about 160hp @ 6200 :(

And about KR, do you guys ALWAYS see 0 ??  Or do you see 2-3 maybe spikes of 5-7 ?
Under hard acceleration and also half throttle? Just wondering.

I'll record a few second-third gear blasts and then look for KR. Lyndon did a tweak to get rid of a bit of KR and now I see none.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2009, 05:45:47 PM »
I'll record a few second-third gear blasts and then look for KR. Lyndon did a tweak to get rid of a bit of KR and now I see none.

Yes please that would be awesome of you to do.  Maybe also.....if you feel ok doing it.  Go into 4th gear and stay steady at 60mph (should be around 2,900 rpm) and punch it up to like 80mph (or higher if you want) :)  Would like to see that log also :)

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2009, 06:32:45 PM »
On a similar note...has anyone seen the boost in first gear? It is funny to see a boost of two at 4000 rpms.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
On a similar note...has anyone seen the boost in first gear? It is funny to see a boost of two at 4000 rpms.

Not sure what you're saying? :P  I'm lost.

lil goat

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2009, 09:51:10 PM »
Goat, I am not going to dyno my car every time I do a minor tweak. That said, I can do runs with HPT hooked up and see what the ECM sees. If I get knock the KR will show it, even if I don't feel or hear it. Haven't touched my WD rod yet, but will. The nuts on my rod (this all sounds SO wrong  :lol: ) are very right (see?). So, continuing with this somewhat unpleasant line of questions and statements, (are you ready?) how did you handle your nuts?

(Okay, go for it !!!!!!!!)
What I was saying was an impossibility, you can't dyno and adjust the wastegate, IT IS TO FREAKIN HOT, so you would be on the dyno for days, that would be the ideal way to do it. The practical way is with HPT or a Dashawk, or even your ear. You should be able to get a bit more out of the wastegate especially if you have an aftermarket intercooler. I have not been on a dyno in quite some time I mostly tune by ear. This is just what I have learned playing with the wastegate, and certainly not the advice of Lyndon, but he did help me understand what is going on.  Smokey Unick one of the all time great engine builders said about tuning a race car, "if it is tuned properly it will cross the finish line and fall apart" or there is always something left on the table in a street car.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2009, 09:37:43 AM »
What I was saying was an impossibility, you can't dyno and adjust the wastegate, IT IS TO FREAKIN HOT, so you would be on the dyno for days, that would be the ideal way to do it. The practical way is with HPT or a Dashawk, or even your ear. You should be able to get a bit more out of the wastegate especially if you have an aftermarket intercooler. I have not been on a dyno in quite some time I mostly tune by ear. This is just what I have learned playing with the wastegate, and certainly not the advice of Lyndon, but he did help me understand what is going on.  Smokey Unick one of the all time great engine builders said about tuning a race car, "if it is tuned properly it will cross the finish line and fall apart" or there is always something left on the table in a street car.

A different version of the Colin Chapman theory:
"Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy."
"You won't catch me driving a race car that I have built."
"Make the suspension adjustable and they will adjust 
it wrong -- look what they can do to a Weber carburetor in just a few moments of stupidity with a screwdriver."

Man, did I love that guy.

I wasn't going to adjust the WG during the runs, but just one turn at home. I'll be dynoing the car on Sunday.
Bob Buxbaum

lil goat

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2009, 10:42:16 AM »
For those of you like Bob and myself who tend to read everything we can find about the infernal combustion engine, and most anything associated with it, here is a jewel of a site. It is a site about motorcycle exhausts, but he explains a lot of things as they sell kits to turbo charge and methanol inject V-twins as well. The theories are the same. They built the worlds fastest street driven Harley does over 200 mph, and hold a ton of records. They sell a 400 hp V-twin, turbo charged meth injected. There is a ton of useful info on the site and the guy is very no holds barred, he even gets into dyno tuning and is where I learned a lot about it. I run his pipes on my Harley.
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2009, 12:28:02 PM »
Not sure what you're saying? :P  I'm lost.

Just saying first gear is a joke no matter if you have a tune or not.

Can anything be done about this?

Thanks!

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2009, 01:45:29 PM »
Just saying first gear is a joke no matter if you have a tune or not.

Can anything be done about this?

Thanks!

Yup, shift early !!!!!!!! Seriously. The only other choice is a lower numberical final drive (3.5X from a Cadillac) but that will negatively effect acceleration in all the other gears. The Aisin transmission is a light truck box, and apparently the only box that would fit the platform. Frankly, GM didn't pick a bad gearbox, but rather didn't put in a gear set of ratios that would maximize performance AND mileage.
Bob Buxbaum

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2009, 05:25:00 PM »
Just thought i'd post this.  It's pretty cool :)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2009, 03:34:58 PM »
1st gear is so short, the DIC doesn't have time to display boost in 1st.  Don't worry about it.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2009, 03:38:20 PM »
Hey kids now lets stop.  BSR does a good job for the tune but is more expensive and not as flexible.  Some have had issues (Spiky) and some haven't.  Lets all play nice.  Sol Man, start a review thread on the BSR so discussion can be handled there.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
1st gear is so short, the DIC doesn't have time to display boost in 1st.  Don't worry about it.

Really now, i havnt noticed.  I usually dont look down when smashing in 1st...it just goes by too fast..but im pretty sure my car still displays boost in 1st at w0t.  I'll check it out soon.

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2009, 08:03:10 AM »
For a minute there it felt like I was back on the "other" forum.   :poke:
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds