Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Turbo Outlet Elbow Leak  (Read 3581 times)

Ben L

Turbo Outlet Elbow Leak
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:43:45 AM »
Hello all:

I have been autocrossing the GXP over the past two weekends.  Transitioning from the Cobra definitely takes some getting used to.  Its like starting from square one.

The fog and totally wet pavement yesterday at the SCCA WDC region Solo season opener at FedEx Field was interesting.  As in Chinese curse interesting.

I have to run in street prepared class, due to the intake and tune.  

Its sort of silly on the factory stock street tires, and stock suspension, running against cars with unrestricted suspension and intake/exhaust mods, and R compound tires on unrestricted wheels.  

I got my ass kicked but did not finish dead last.  I did manage to beat a prepared 240 Z and a prepped Miata, and had four clean runs, each successively quicker.  

Anyway, I am noticing more soot, and now even a tiny bit of heavy black grease of some kind, seeping around the elbow pipe flanges on the turbo inlet.  I cannot see a gasket between the flanges.

Obviously, some kind of leak.  I have re-torqued the fasteners, and that did not stop it.

Does anyone know if there is a gasket or O-ring in there?  If not, ideas on what the problem/fix might be?  Flanges warped or something?  Is this a known issue?

Just curious about your ideas.  Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:50:59 AM by Ben L »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Turbo Inlet Elbow Leak
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 08:51:58 AM »
Cheers is selling his Eibach lowering springs.  The exhaust side by the cat has a o-ring style mesh gasket that you can't see unless you take it apart.  I think you are talking about the the upper elbow intake side.  I haven't had that taken apart.  The manual doesn't describe it since the turbo is a complete assembly.

Ben L

Re: Turbo Outlet Elbow Leak
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:12 AM »
Yup.  Its the upper.  I would not be surprised if there was a similar metal O ring in there.  I wonder if a call to parts desk at Koons would smoke that out??

Need to get the bodywork/paint and wheels ordered on the coupe before I start the beefing up the GXP.  Budget priorities.  So if someone comes along and wants the Eibachs, Cheers, sell 'em.  Thanks for thinking of me!!

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:51:19 AM by Ben L »

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Turbo Inlet Elbow Leak
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 09:16:21 AM »
Dave @ DDM had them apart before.  He can tell you

Ben L

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 10:03:48 AM »
Good plan.  I will give DDM a buzz. . . .  I'll report what I find out.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:51:40 AM by Ben L »

Ben L

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 11:47:01 AM »
OK, talked to Dave at DDM.  He returned my call within the hour, and was amazingly generous with his time and knowledge. 

We are lucky to have such a great resource.  Thank you, Dave.   :urock:

Anyway, here's the deal:

(1)  The 90 degree elbow pipe is actually on the EXHAUST side.  Duh!

(2)  There IS an O-ring in there, and despite the high temp environment, it is not metal, but some kind of rubber.

(3)  He never heard of one blowing out before, so it is likely it got pinched or busted on install.  I have never had that particular piece off, so this time its not my fault. (yet)

(4)  Replacement is Part No. 12595593.  I ordered a few in case anyone else runs into the problem.

I will document the R&R surgery with pix, when the part arrives.  Hopefully, I will not encounter something else more serious than a busted/chipped O-ring.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »
SOLO also has gaskets for that exact spot.  I had a leak there and there was exhaust soot all over the suspension directly below it.  I put a SOLO gasket in and the problem was gone...those four giant bolts are really tough to completely tighten.

Ben L...if you give me ur address through a PM, I might have an extra that I can send to you in the mail.  I really think I do have one extra in my garage...I will look later tonight for it.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Ben L

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:47:44 PM »
Thank you Spikey!  I will take you up on that. . . PM on the way. . .

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:55 PM »
No Steve, I believe been is talking about the left top elbow coming off the inducer.  See attached

Ben L

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 01:53:14 PM »
As usual, Joe is right.  Full stop on looking for/sending me that part. 

Save it for my cat replacement (coming soon).  Soot is on top, too, not blowing down onto the suspension.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 09:20:21 PM »
You have an aftermarket intake, it may have been oiled, I'd pull the pipes and wipe them out before you throw a MAF or other code.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »
Ahh thanks Joe...I though he was talking about the exhaust side.  Oh well...I found one tonight, too...just the wrong gasket...sorry Ben.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2009, 08:44:42 AM »
Hey Ben,
You might want to check the hub assy bolts, where they mount to the A frames, several members have reported those bolts coming lose after runs.  Since you are crawling all over the car anyway.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Ben L

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2009, 10:42:06 AM »
Cheers --

I will pull the fronts before the next event and check the torque on all front suspension/brake bracket fasteners. 

The poor F1 street tires are really getting a scrubbing.  And its not even hot yet.

The sooner they wear out the sooner I can get some decent 'close to R compounds.'  Advans, Direrrezas, or Potenza RE-01Rs.  They will be gone by the end of April at this rate.

Anyone have the torque specs?

Ben L

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 07:01:45 AM »
OK.  My seals arrived yesterday, and I had enough daylight when I got home from work to replace the old one.

It is a funny looking rubber or silicone O-ring with a series of rectangular raised blocks around the outer circumference.  It fits halfway into a groove milled into the end of the elbow pipe.  The other half sticking out of the pipe gets squashed onto the polished flange surface of the turbo outlet.

When I pulled the other one, I noted a slight trace of burnt oil.  I guess it might be coming from the oiled filter on the Fajita intake, as some have suggested.  Very faint, but enough to make the O-ring shiny, and to smudge onto my finger.  Haven't thrown a code. . . yet.  Probably should look for a non-oiled filter element.

I also noticed that one of the larger "blocks" had a little nick in it.  I am guessing that, combined with the softening of the seal by the oil, caused a "pinhole" leak.  Excuse the blurry photo, but maybe you can see?

Anyway, put the new one in.  We'll see. . . . I got two extra seals in case this happens to anyone else.

Offline Frank I

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 09:33:34 AM »

When I pulled the other one, I noted a slight trace of burnt oil.  I guess it might be coming from the oiled filter on the Fajita intake, as some have suggested. Very faint, but enough to make the O-ring shiny, and to smudge onto my finger.  Haven't thrown a code. . . yet.  Probably should look for a non-oiled filter element.

(Image removed from quote.)

Ben:

I believe the Fujita filter is a dry filter, (non-oiled)

You may want to consider pulling the Fujita pipe by disconnecting the clamp holding the pipe to the front of the compressor cool air inlet housing.  Look at the impeller/compressor wheel and check for wet coking on the wheel.  If it is just soot, no problem, but if it is wet and coked, you may want to investigate the cause?   :2c:

Frank I
Frank I