Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: FYI: Turbo heat shield  (Read 1623 times)

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
FYI: Turbo heat shield
« on: April 04, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
My 07 GXP is 2yrs old with 26k on her :drive:. I went to remove my turbo heat shield & snap the side bolt off.  :banghead: I didn't think it would been rusted up already. It was half way out, stop turning. So I try re-tightening it, almost tight & snap :cryin: :banghead: :mad:.  IMO people should remove the 3 bolt & coat them with anti-seize & reinstall. So this don't happen to no one else.

I was able the dill it out & re-tap it. Using 90deg. drill, removing the relay box bracket, tying back & out of the way the relay box & wires.

What started me down this path;
I been reading about the waste gate mod. And some people only seeing 15 to 16psi of boost in stock form. My 07 GXP (built in 05\07) in stock form has hit 18psi. So I went and pulled my turbo heat shield. I had only 5 threads showing. Not 7 to 8 as others has posted. It also had thread lock on both adjusting nuts. I thought they did this for 08 cars.  :idk:

Mike
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 10:55:00 AM by HAMMER DOWN »
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: FYI: Turbo heat shield
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2009, 01:37:15 PM »
Yeah funny thing you mention that because someone posted a pic of there 07 engine bay but they lived in the East Coast.  All I could say was damn the East Coast air is laden with salt since it looked like there was salt residue corrosion in and around the turbo parts and the rest of the engine.  Not sure how many miles though and or if the vehicle was garaged or not. 
I opened mine the other day to check the oil level and it looks like a brand new engine bay.  All sparkly and clean and shiny. 
Here in the Midwest we just have dust but dust washes off real easy with just  water from the hose.  Thought the car only has 8K on it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:34:44 PM by tazz »

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 02:02:29 PM »
Mine is garage kept for North East winter. The bolt heads look almost new. But the threats was rusty. Just glad I got it fix without pulling the turbo.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 02:12:47 PM »
Hammer, my 07 Redline was set of ~5 turns out as well. I used a deep 10mm 1/4 dr. socket on the end, and back nut came loose fairly readily. Once it was loose I spun it out about 1 1/2 turns and was able to adjust the front nut with my finger!!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 04:29:19 PM by snaponbob »
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
^^^ Yours have lock-tite on your adjustment nuts. After I snapped off the side heat shield bolt. I didn't touch my waste gate adjustment. Just fix my oops. I go Thursday to get my ECU flash with the GMPP tune. Might do the waste mod in a week or so. After running my new tune.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »
Hammer, my 07 Redline was set of ~5 turns out as well. I used a depp 10mm 1/4 dr. socket on the end, and back nut came loose fairly readily. Once it was loose I spun it out about 1 1/2 turns and was able to adjust the front nut with my finger!!

That method works best.  I have an 08 gxp and adjusted my wastegate in like 2 minutes once the heat shield was off.  Im sure I can do it in a minute or less with the heat shield off now that I know what im doing.
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 04:30:57 PM »
At this point I have simply left the heat shield off for now. Once I am done adjusting I'll return the shield to its spot. I may put some ultra high temp paint on it first.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 08:14:46 PM »
Welcome to the club Bob, mine broke off about a year ago, as well as the ones in the heat shield stripping. I put some added heat shield on the hood, just a stick on under the rubber mat, and I have some exhaust heat wrap loosely over the turbo, mostly just in case and to deflect heat down and out. I will fix it if I upgrade the turbo, or do what I have been investigating lately, pull the exhaust manifold, port match and have it ceramic coated. Trying to find a used manifold now, so I can just pull it and swap, and then pass it on to who ever else might want to do this.