Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tonneau Love  (Read 3569 times)

Offline Sly Nic

• Tech
Tonneau Love
« on: April 05, 2009, 08:18:22 PM »
Hey Folks:

Seems that some folks love tonneau covers and some people hate them. What is your opinion?

Here some pictures of mine - excuse the splash on the car as we are still dealing with a bit of melt off water on the roads even though it is nice and sunny.

Obviously, I fall into the "love the tonneau" group. :woohoo:

Get it while the getting is good.....

Offline Filipp

• Master Tech
Re: Tonneau Love
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »
I actually bought my GXP used and it came with a tonneau cover and all the screws already installed. I think its just easier and safer to put the top up than dealing with the cover.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »
Not a big fan of these in general Nic.  Not sure why you wouldn't just put the top up if you need to cover up?  The cover you have looks very nice, and looks like a good fit too.  Maybe if you gave us a saleslady job on why we need one of these, I could be swayed  :D
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 05:07:00 AM »
I really like the tonneau cover and would use it a lot, but I just can't get over having to mount the snaps forward of the side view mirrors. To me it takes away from the overall appearance when not in use...

Like your rims though...

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 07:16:47 AM »
My Mom always had sports cars when I was growing up, she was carzy about driving with the top down as long asit wasn't raining. She used to put on the tonneau cover, cover up the passenger side and I would ride under there so I wouldn't get cold. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I haven't bought one yet but I do like them. They are great on a trip by yourself as you can store a bunch of stuff under there and it doesn't blow around with the top down. I do agree with G0-N Def, damn did I just type that, I do not like the way they are set up on our cars.

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »
My Mom always had sports cars when I was growing up, she was carzy about driving with the top down as long asit wasn't raining. She used to put on the tonneau cover, cover up the passenger side and I would ride under there so I wouldn't get cold. I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I haven't bought one yet but I do like them. They are great on a trip by yourself as you can store a bunch of stuff under there and it doesn't blow around with the top down. I do agree with G0-N Def, damn did I just type that, I do not like the way they are set up on our cars.
Sorry, I just had to quote that before he changed it....

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 02:06:09 PM »
Looks good when you see it, just can't get past the idea of all the snaps that you have to add to the car.  :thumbs:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »
I always thought that tonneau covers and roadsters were synonymous with one another and one day, when I get over being so anal with this car, I might track one down and install it.

At the moment I can't get past the idea of drilling holes in the car. Your car sure does look sharp Sly Nic and especailly with the tonneau cover installed.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Sly Nic

• Tech
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:36:41 PM »
Really, guys.... it is only 3 small snaps and if i remember correctly, my '72 MGB had freaking snaps all over the place! I fail to see how guys who rip the dash out of their car, cut away to accommodate vertical doors and heavily modify their ride get squeamish about 3 small snaps.

It does not matter whether you have a top or a tonneau - you are only one sharp knife away from getting robbed. I guess the trick is to keep nothing valuable in the car. The top and the tonneau serve the same purpose - to keep dirt out of the car when it is parked - or at least that is how I see it. They just look different and I like the look - I realize it is not for everyone however.

Thanks for all the feedback - I appreciate it.

Cheers  :ca: :ca: :ca:
Get it while the getting is good.....

Offline Go-N Def

• Master Detailer
  • Gearhead
  • Morally Flexible
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:19 PM »
I wouldnt be squeamish at all about putting putting snaps on the car except for the fact that, as I said earlier, I don't like the look of them when the cover is not in use.  I like the smooth lines my car has and, to me, a snap sitting there detracts from that look.  As far as the dash and doors go, you can't see any changes unless you really look for them.  That little snap would draw my eyes to it every time I got it or out.

I think a lot of people here would (and have) agree with me.  That's why hardley any of us have one.  As a mater of fact, I was going to get one until I actually saw one installed and then taken off.  That was on a silver car.  With mine being black, that snap would stand out even more...

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:27 AM »
I have had a cover on every roadster I have owned except this one.  I think it looks great on the car, but I don't like the way it fastens in the front, or the way it opens.  That's just my 2 cents.  Besides this top is a snap to put up compared to the previous roadster I had.  Ever try to put the top up on a Sunbeam or a Healey?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline RichSol

• Tech
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2009, 01:36:07 PM »
I have had a cover on every roadster I have owned except this one.  I think it looks great on the car, but I don't like the way it fastens in the front, or the way it opens.  That's just my 2 cents.  Besides this top is a snap to put up compared to the previous roadster I had.  Ever try to put the top up on a Sunbeam or a Healey?

I agree with that. Everytime I jump out and put the top back up while my garage door is opening, I scratch my head at all the reviews that complained about how complicated it is. It takes me about 10 seconds now.  I wonder if they have trouble tying their shoes? [ok, sorry for the threadjack. the tonneau does look nice]
'07 GXP - Loaded  3/19/2007 - 5  Speed auto
Black - Charcoal Leather red stitching- LSD - Monsoon - MP3 - OnStar - XM - A/C - ABS - Cruise - 5 Speed Auto- Fog lamps - GXP Floormats - Chrome wheels - Sport pedals - leather visor covers  - Sprintbooster & GXP Stage kit on order

"Original Sol" 2006 2.4 - 5 speed manual
Black - Sand/Steel leather - Delivered Oct '05 - Said goodbye Mar '07 -  It was a hell of great ride!

-my other vehicle is a 2008 jeep wrangler rubicon unlimited-

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 04:22:38 PM »
My quick hijack: Went by to check on my daughters car that is in the body shop and the female body shop writer saw me drive up in the Sky. She has one of the new T-Birds that Ford built a few years back. It was starting to sprinkle and so I jumped up and put the top up, about 20 seconds. When I walked over she said that she had heard about our top problems and couldn't believe how easy it was to put the top up. She also said that the electric top in her T-Bird was almost 2 minutes, even though it is all  electric. Guess we don't have it so bad after all.  :cheers:
Back to the tonneau cover thread.

Offline Howster

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 01:32:40 PM »
Naaaahhhhhh. Not so much.

Howster