Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: tire opinion  (Read 7804 times)

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
tire opinion
« on: April 12, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »
I am looking to get some new tires soon.  Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of tires that have a good grip, firm sidewalls, and are an all season tire?  I plan on putting new tires on the stock rims.  I'm trying to do without the eagle F1s.

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: tire opinion
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »
I have Eagle F1 All Seasons and am very happy with them especially in rain

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:12:38 PM »
I have Sumitomo HTR Z II tires...they are summer rubber, but have worked just fine on wet surfaces.  Thy advise not to drive in the snow, but of course I did not listen like an idiot...luckily they held up well.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
I like the tread pattern of the sumitomo HTR Z II, and the price is very close to the Eagle F1 all seasons tires.  THe all season F1 Tires is a harder compound.  These two are so far a good choice of tires.

Ben L

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 07:12:53 AM »
I really did not like the F1s.  They are not, IMHO, up to the task of really spirited driving, much less autocross.  They roll over and break loose when pressed hard.  I have had the Dunlop Direrreza Star Specs on for about a week and just got back from visiting my parents in PA. 

I was lucky to have no one in front of me going over South Mountain, and tested the new shoes on some twisty mountain roads.  The firmness, grip and precision in handling is miles ahead of the stock F1s.  They also were quite good in the rain we had last week. 

lil goat

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:14 AM »
I pretty much decided that I can't get what I want from a single set of tires, I run the stock tires in the winter and don't care for them much. I run the Bridgestone RE-01's in the summer, MUCH better tire but at anything below 40 degree's they get VERY hard and pretty much suck. I tested them really well last weekend driving to Philly in the pouring rain in a road ralley, we were doing speeds in excess of 80 and it was VERY wet they hung in really well, there were a few times they were a bit scary but I was driving way to damn fast. My son runs the Bridgestone 760's and he had great luck with them in the rain, I could see them clearing water very well while I was behind him. If I was buying tires right now I would look at the Dunlop Direzza, The Nitto Invo all weather and the Nitto NT05 summer tire, I would look very seriously at the Toyo Proxes T1R. The best advice I can give is don't get a summer tire and expect to drive them year round in this area, at least that has been my experience. But I do wonder seeing people spend a lot of money on there cars why they don't spend the money on the part of the car that actually touches the pavement, getting lighter wheels will give you more benefit than you could imagine.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline RUTurbo

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
I'm def going to be running Nitto's, I'm between the Invo and NT05 but lack of quality reviews on the NT05 is making me take a look at the Nitto NT NeoGen ZR which has a ton of great reviews.
Keep Chopping!!!

Ben L

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:07:21 PM »
Another rainy day in city driving on the Dunlop Direzzas.  Very positive and confident performance zipping in and out of traffic on wet roads under power.

Big autox weekend coming.  Will write full review then.

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:10:19 PM »
So far everybody has opened given great input, to hear real reviews on certain tires that you can relate to is making it easier for me to decide what great set of tires Im going to buy.

Offline Divingsolo (formely Randy@DDM)

• Founding Member
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • DDMWorks - Your total Kappa Performance Solution
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:52:59 PM »
If your thinking about the Sumitomos, then get the HTR Z3's  I love them...next in line is the Brdigestone RE760sports
Randy@DDMWorks.com
www.DDMWorks.com

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:29:29 PM »
Randy, is that what you have on your car now?

Offline Divingsolo (formely Randy@DDM)

• Founding Member
  • Vendor
  • Tech
    • DDMWorks - Your total Kappa Performance Solution
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 10:36:53 PM »
Joe,

Yes! I'm running the Sumitomo HTR z3 in 275/40/18's on 18x9" SSR's
Randy@DDMWorks.com
www.DDMWorks.com

Offline Sky 5

• Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:43:54 PM »
I'm trying to do without the eagle F1s.
That's the F1  :idk: GS - 03's?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:33:16 AM by Sky 5 »

lil goat

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 10:48:57 AM »
I am still hoping someone gives a good rating to an all season tire, the Sumitomo HTR Z3's look like great summer tires, around here summer tires just don't work for a daily driver in winter at least mine don't. I still only know of the Nitto INVO as high performance all season tire that anyone has reviewed on a Solstice, and the not so Goodyears. Anyone running an all season they like? I am thinking the Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position to replace the Goodyears for next winter, they are an all season tire.
Here is a Tire Rack rating of all season performance tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHPAS&width=245%2F&ratio=45&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&autoMake=Pontiac&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Solstice%20GXP&autoModClar=&minSpeedRating=H&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)

You can email ben@tirerack.com if you have questions, he used to be the rep for Tire Rack on that other forum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 10:57:34 AM by lil goat »

Ben L

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 11:24:39 AM »
This may be heresy, but I offer the view that the performance sacrificed for "all season" tires vs. "extreme, max or ultra performance" summer tires is not really justified, at least for our cars driven in the post-global warming Mid-Atlantic region.  This is my view only, but it is not a totally uninformed perspective. 

I have been driving on the street in the DC area for many years now hopped up high hp cars (e.g., Kenne Bell blown 2003 Mustang Mach 1, FFR Cobra, and now a Wester's race tuned Sol GXP) on all kinds of rubber, on a daily basis in all weather conditions. 

I have always been disappointed with the performance of any "all season" tire.  As soon as I can get them off, they wind up on e-bay.

I have found that really good extreme-max performance summer tires, such as Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions, F1 GS-D3s, and now, my Dunlop Star Specs, actually perform pretty well all the way down to 32 degrees F, and, if you remain conscious that they are hard and slick until you get a little heat in them, and its reasonably dry outside, even colder than freezing. 

All of these are excellent rain tires, which is most of the weather we see around here. 

Hell, my "street tires" on the Cobra were Nitto NT-01s, full blown R compounds, which I ran unshaved with the tread on.  And yes, I drove those on many cruises and journeys to distant races in extreme cold and rainy conditions.  It was not fun, and I had to keep my awareness level way up, but the margin on even full competition tires vs. all seasons is not what you may think.

I found that ultra performance summer tires are only useless and totally scary in snow and icy conditions.  When its like that outside, I take the Jeep.  I doubt any of us deploy the Kappa in conditions like that.

The reality is that most of the run time on our roasters occurs in conditions where, in my opinion, we really ought to have every single bit of the stiffness, grip and performance that the new generation of silica-compound, race bred ultra performance summer shoes can give us, to get the most out of these cars. 

All tires are at some level, a series of compromises.  All seasons, of necessity, involve lots of compromises.

When it gets cold and wet, as long as you recognize that your rubber is less forgiving and that the performance envelopes change, I submit that a decent, aware, driver can drive safely on summer tires.  Except in ice and snow.   

But most of the time, if you are not running the very best tires you can find and afford, you are leaving stuff on the table.

Again, this is just my two cents, not a recommendation for anyone else, and I am very probably an idiot.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 11:31:05 AM by Ben L »

lil goat

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 01:25:39 PM »

I pretty much agree with Ben, but I prefer to drive my Solstice as a daily driver. I found that the Bridgestone RE-01's were not something I wanted to deal with everyday in the winter at below 40 they SUCK, they don't like below 50 actually. I know Dark Tech who started this thread has only one car, the Solstice,  so he drives it or stays home. To me an extra set of wheels is the simple answer, as I don't do a whole lot of spirted driving in the winter anyway and a all season tire does fine.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 02:20:05 PM »
I have Continental Extreme Contact All Season 245/45/18s from Tire Rack and they perform extremely well to about 20 and then are quite hard and easy to spin.  They are do extremely well in heavy rain.  I used them on the track also.
Quote from: Tire Rack
The Continental ContiExtremeContact is an Ultra High Performance All-Season radial that was developed to satisfy the year-round driving needs of sports car, coupe, sedan and light truck drivers by blending dry and wet road performance with light snow and slush traction.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact&partnum=445WR8CEC&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=10&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

lil goat

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
I have Continental Extreme Contact All Season 245/45/18s from Tire Rack and they perform extremely well to about 20 and then are quite hard and easy to spin.  They are do extremely well in heavy rain.  I used them on the track also.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact&partnum=445WR8CEC&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&place=10&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V&speed_rating=Z&speed_rating=W&speed_rating=Y&speed_rating=(Y)&minSpeedRating=H

They did very well on the Tire Rack all season review, they were number 3

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 04:32:54 PM »
$158 each

Offline Morfious

• SMMM 7 Cup Stacking Champion
  • Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Tryin' to keep the rubber side down since age 2
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 09:23:04 PM »
Just a quick note.  I have the Dunlop Direzza DZ101 and they are great.  Again they are a summer only tire and do not like low temps (below 40 is sometimes scary).  In the summer time they rock.  I think goat nailed it when he said run 2 sets.  There will always be a compromise with all seasons.  Having an extra set of winter beater wheels to throw on will come in handy.  Doesn't Joe have his old set of rims lying around somewhere?!?
Mean GXP Delivered 1/30/2007 $MSRP +$2K
Mods:
Pioneer AVIC D3 Nav System
Solo-Performance Street Race exhaust
Debadged
JPM interior (Doors, steering wheel, shifter, console now with 100% more Chuck Norris)
Custom dash and Flush mounted Valentine 1 Radar Detector
O.Z. Ultraleggera wheels with Dunlop DZ101
DDM Works (Big Brake Kit, backbone, intercooler, valve and coil cover)
GXP ZOK Rear sway bar

Offline Dark Tech

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 10:10:51 PM »
DeepBlueGXP sold his rims to JustMike's son.  I might have to get a wheel and tire package and a set of all season tires for the winter or just get a better summer tire and deal with it in the winter.

lil goat

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 07:32:51 AM »
The second set of wheels and tires sure works for me, Tire Rack has the OZ's on sale and they are very light and sweet and come in the 18X9 so you can go with a wider tire in the back, they still have the SSR's as well at a good price but they just ain't very pretty, they can be powder coated for about $80 a wheel pretty much any color you want, or even painted if you know a painter, the factory finish is just paint.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
I might just have a set of chrome's available in the next month or so.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 10:58:15 AM »
Say it ain't so, Critter is going to finally get some decent tires! Be still my beating heart.