Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Review: Solstice knee pad  (Read 2474 times)

lil goat

Review: Solstice knee pad
« on: April 17, 2009, 08:17:52 PM »
OK let me start out by saying I have a very bad right knee, it really bothers me sometimes when I drive the Solstice. I sometimes put my hand between the console and my knee to support my knee and relieve some pressure. When I drive I have a bad habit of resting my knee on the console. This kind of puts my knee in a funny position when I have my foot on the gas. I have seen this knee pad on eBay for over a year and at $30 bucks said no way. Well it has finally gotten to the point I decided to try it. First off it is a lot bigger than you would think it is huge and very thick. I is a nicely finished product for a piece of foam. I have just played around with it a little and moved it around to different places, it comes with velcro to stick it on. I have tons of it so I am try different spots. Overall I like it makes me keep my leg straight and seems to give me a bit finer throttle control because my leg is straight, makes it much easier to heel and toe, just puts my foot in the right place. I still have to play around with it but so far I like it.

Pro's: Takes the pressure of my knee and actually makes my leg sit in a more natural position for driving, I like the added support. Very well made looks good doesn't look cheesy at all, very thick and solid.

Con's: Well the price, $30 is a lot for a piece of foam even if it is designed to fit our console. The velcro, not a big fan as it is thick and leaves a seem. I think when I get it where I want it I will use glue or double sided tape to attach it for a thinner seem, but the velcro lets me move it around.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Review: Solstice knee pad
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 03:31:11 PM »
Great review.  I've seen it on ebay too and almost bought it.
I can imagine how much better it feels with a straighter leg.
Is there anyway to paint this??  The color looks light grey and I dont think I would like that in my car :(
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline DRM

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 04:34:22 PM »
Thanks for the review.  I had thought about getting one of these as well.  I have bony knees.

I thought I had seen a pic of one that JPM had made.  It did not look as thick and I don't think it was made of foam.
2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP Deep/Ebony/Silver Stitching
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »
For me it's not so much the right knee that's giving me trouble but the left knee hitting against the door. 
The last 4 vehicles have been trucks for the last 10 yrs and have gotten used too having my left foot flat on the floor with my knee bent like I'm sitting in a chair and my right foot and knee bent out a bit more but not as straight as when I'm driving the Sol.  Trying to get used to and use the dead pedal rest for my left foot but it's just awkward since I want to leave my left foot flat on the floor and knee keeps hitting the handle that you use to close the door.

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:38:32 PM »
I played around with it and did some driving today, the concept is very good but it is just to damn thick by almost double, I wrote them about it. If you are small framed, I sure as hell am not it would be great. I think I can make it work for me but not with the placement they suggest. The concept they get and A+ execution they must have tested with a much smaller driver, C-, for women this might be just the ticket. I ended up pulling it off after about 20 minutes but I still want something to do this. I need something about as thick as my hand.

Ben L

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
I got one from JPM that is the perfect thickness and a perfect teardrop shape.  It really saved my knee this weekend.  I'll take some pics and post a review shortly. . .

lil goat

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »
I turned it upside down and it works much better, with the thin side up top.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 03:18:54 PM »
I have seen this on eBay for some time, too.  The problem i have is getting it to stick on the plastic.  I have one from JPM also, but in the heat and extreme cold, the tape just doesn't hold.  The concept and idea is great, but there has to be a better way for it to adhere to the plastic.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

lil goat

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 04:18:52 PM »
If you get 3M™ Adhesion Promoter 86A  and  USE LESS ARMOUR ALL it will stick, I just wiped the plastic with denatured alcohol and have no issues with it sticking it's just to thick.