Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Anyone use the 3M paint protection film on there Sol?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Anyone use the 3M paint protection film on there Sol?
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:15:05 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has used the 3M paint protection film on there Sol and how it holds up as well as how the painted surface under it fairs Pros/Cons.  I am looking to just get film for the front bumper since here in KS we get allot of sand on our road ways and it gets kicked up no matter how far you drive behind another vehicle.
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
Re: Anyone use the 3M paint protection film on there Sol?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 09:33:33 PM »
I don't but I really wish I had.  I have to have it custom cut since I have the GT nose and that is way more expensinve.  I'm all chipped up now so it will have to wait for a repaint again.  I will definatly get it done next time.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

lil goat

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:15:48 PM »
I didn't get it on my NA, it got chipped up very quickly and looked like ASS, when I upgraded to the GXP I sprung for it, it was not cheap but it works it's not perfect but beats the nicks and dings I see on everyone else's front end. You barely notice it's there. I would do it again in a heartbeat

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
Found a few places that will sell just the bumper piece but the price ranges from $125 to almost $200 just for the 3M bumper piece.   
Another company named Xpel also has there own kit but I think it's even more pricey than the 3M stuff and not sure if it's really any better. 
My front bumper is not prestine but it's not too bad right now just would like to keep it from getting worse.  Not sure how the stuff adheres to a slightly pitted surface with no paint loss but will probably find out soon.

Offline BIO Hazard

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 10:36:13 PM »
Tazz -

Check out ASAP Graphics who just joined as a Supporting Vendor today... They have Venture Shield paint protection film and even more cool stuff for the Sky and Solstice. Tony is awesome. Make sure you click on paint protection and not the one under the SKY/SOLSTICE page.

Follow this link...

http://www.asapdigitalimaging.com/#/paintprotectionfilmkits/4531800735

Thanks!!!
Tim aka BIO Hazard
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Brazen - Inferno - Orange
#1 fan of WWW.KAPPAPERFORMANCE.COM

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 10:57:30 PM »
I have used 3M's chafe tape in the aviation business for around 15 years now.  From what I understand aviation is where this product first saw use (I could be wrong) and as those of us who used it on planes saw how it performed we began to use it in other areas such as the auto industry.

You can actually buy large rolls of the stuff, like a foot or more wide, from aviation suppliers do a google search for chafe tape, or anti chafe tape.  Over all I have been truly impressed by the stuff.  It has a mild adhesive that really holds, in that I have applied it to planes that easily exceed 300MPH and it says where you put it but when you go to remove it there is no residue or adhesive to clean off of the paint.

I had some small pieces of the tape here at home and decided to place it under the door handles so that the paint would not get scratched by peoples finger nails or jewelery, the tape conformed to the dished contour and is almost invisible.  I don't get to drive my car all that much but getting the bumper and hood covered as well as the rocker panels is definitely something I would like to do.  As long as it is applied so that there are no wrinkles or air bubbles I am sure you will be happy that you had it done.

Actually I just did a search for this try leading edge tape.

found this at one site:
http://store.wagaero.com/product_info.php?products_id=3832
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 11:23:56 PM by Sol Asylum »
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 11:10:59 PM »
Tazz -

Check out ASAP Graphics who just joined as a Supporting Vendor today... They have Venture Shield paint protection film and even more cool stuff for the Sky and Solstice. Tony is awesome. Make sure you click on paint protection and not the one under the SKY/SOLSTICE page.

Follow this link...

http://www.asapdigitalimaging.com/#/paintprotectionfilmkits/4531800735

Thanks!!!

Thanks for the headsup on buying from the SV.

Offline Gunnys GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • SEMPER FI
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2009, 09:41:41 AM »
Found a few places that will sell just the bumper piece but the price ranges from $125 to almost $200 just for the 3M bumper piece.  

Cost to repaint is about 400 plus.  the company or whomever installs it should do touch up paint on the chips before they apply the shiled.
07 Deep GXP auto.  A lot of cosmetic upgrades but not enough performace mods. YET.

Offline Hoosier GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Hoosier GXP
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 11:01:20 AM »
I did the film on my car ...................let me restate that, my wife and I did our car. We did the front bumper and hood mirror and door guards. It is kind of pains taking to do but not impossible. Mine is a GXP so it is a little more difficult that the NA because of the extra contours on the front bumper.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 12:32:12 PM »
Cost to repaint is about 400 plus.  the company or whomever installs it should do touch up paint on the chips before they apply the shield.
It will be a self install.
There aren't any paint chips just more like some pitting where sand has left indentations but paint is still there so really touch up is not needed. I really don't want to paint the whole bumper and for a vehicle that doesn't have even 10K on the Odo and the film should be fine.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 12:33:09 PM »
I did the film on my car ...................let me restate that, my wife and I did our car. We did the front bumper and hood mirror and door guards. It is kind of pains taking to do but not impossible. Mine is a GXP so it is a little more difficult that the NA because of the extra contours on the front bumper.
Mines a GXP also.
Thanks