Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How To: install footwell lighting  (Read 25774 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: How To: install footwell lighting
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2010, 11:15:29 AM »
I have updated first post in this thread with new pictures. I will take the final picture tonight after dark.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 07:14:27 AM »
when i read this thread i decided to try this on my own, since the DIY Sly Bob posted makes this an easy-to-do.
so i started gathering the parts needed....and i stopped there...
i cannot find the add-a-circuit anywhere in Greece.
led so thin, so small and at this price, also nowhere..
while i was out on the streets asking from shop to shop and from garage to garage, one electrician told me that it could be unsafe for the BCM to have this ad-a-circuit since the certain slot on the bcm is designed to have only one fuse, so you might as well burn the fuse or the whole bcm.

is that so, or was he talking BS?
Sly Bob, before posting this thread you should consider that in Greece you can't easily find ad-a-circuit and this kind of leds, coz now that i came to a dead end, i m jealous of your mod !!!
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Brad Kenny

• Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:04 AM »
BS, I have this mod and have all my LED lights and WR stuff hooked into it.  The LED's are such low power draw the car will not even notice it.

Many of the cars have these and other than "vampire" clip shorts or grounds, there have not been too many issues out there.

Joe, you have a lot of LED's any input???
Continental Tires
DDM Works
StunnerLights.com
ASAP Graphics
King Penn
V-LEDs
Superbright LEDs

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 11:24:44 AM »
Check this thread regarding a VERY similar install:

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/led-lighting-project-63274/

I got my add-a-circuit fuse block tap from a local auto parts store, but you can also get it from Sherco auto supplies.  They are based in America, but will likely ship to you.  They shipped to me in Canada.

I got my LEDs from Oznium, again in America, and again they shipped to me in Canada.  All in, it cost me about $70 CAD, to wire in the red LED footwell lighting, the white LED floor lighting, and the trunk lighting, with the add-a-circuit, and some fuses/fuse holders. 

when i read this thread i decided to try this on my own, since the DIY Sly Bob posted makes this an easy-to-do.
so i started gathering the parts needed....and i stopped there...
i cannot find the add-a-circuit anywhere in Greece.
led so thin, so small and at this price, also nowhere..
while i was out on the streets asking from shop to shop and from garage to garage, one electrician told me that it could be unsafe for the BCM to have this ad-a-circuit since the certain slot on the bcm is designed to have only one fuse, so you might as well burn the fuse or the whole bcm.

is that so, or was he talking BS?
Sly Bob, before posting this thread you should consider that in Greece you can't easily find ad-a-circuit and this kind of leds, coz now that i came to a dead end, i m jealous of your mod !!!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 11:41:02 AM »
Thx Carbon Sky, i will order them from US. i was not very eager to place an order to them for $9-10, but since i can t find the parts here, i will do it this way.

CT Solstice, i think he was talking BS, but again, i couldn t be sure..
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
Arabas, PM me your address.  I'll send you a few.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 06:55:30 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ADD-CIRCUIT-FUSE-HOLDER-10-amp-MINI-BLADE-FUSES-/250630640663?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item3a5ac01417

You can get the add-a-circuit in the UK at the URL above. Do you have eBay in Greece?

Or here,

http://global.ebay.com/ADD_A_CIRCUIT_FUSE_HOLDER_10_amp_MINI_BLADE_FUSES/250623902455/item

As for a place to get the LEDs, Tomato soup has used these guys in the past with good results and they will ship for free to you. This cluster may not be as pretty but realistically no one is going to see it anyway. There are others on the site as well, some in different colours.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.34605
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 07:33:37 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
thx for the tips guys!
special thanx to DeepBlueGXP who offered to make this SO EASY for me!!!!!!
Kappaperformance. what a great place to be in!!
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 12:00:27 PM »
Also Arabas, if you haven't yet bought your LEDs, I used these for my footwells (nice warmish light given they are white LEDs) and that will leave two more for "puddle" lights under your doors.  From IKEA, which you can go and pick up!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/70119425

(That was the UK site, 'cos I can't read Greek! :) )

As Bob said, I got a lot of other LEDs from DealExtreme (trunk and hood and so on) and can recommend them.  But the IKEA ones are finished and easily mountable, though probably far more expensive!

UPDATE: Darn, I guess they DONT have a site in Greece.  So never mind.  Back to what SlyBob said (ignore this post!) :banghead:
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 12:22:57 PM »
TomatoSoup, i ve seen these leds in IKEA, but i think these are for home use (220-240V in Europe). so i don't think i could make them work with 12V...
i m looking for red light (or maybe cold white)..
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2010, 03:51:01 PM »
TomatoSoup, i ve seen these leds in IKEA, but i think these are for home use (220-240V in Europe). so i don't think i could make them work with 12V...
i m looking for red light (or maybe cold white)..
They are 12V and you can use them directly in your car (I know, I use them in mine :) ), they work off a transformer in your home.  They may have blue as an option, but I don't think they have red.  These are white LEDs, but just on the warmer side of the spectrum (not nearly as yellow as incandescents).
"That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." (Monty Python)

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »

Canadian Tire in Canada has the add a circuit module in their  automotive section.  They have a small selection of LED lights as well you might be able to use for the foot wells.  I got some really nice ones from them but the were the last ones and the guy behind the counter said they wouldn't be getting anymore.  It was a square module with 30 led's on it about 2*3, double sided tape , not overly bright,  works great $19.99 a piece.  The part number is 041-1527-4 at Cdn Tire if someone is looking for them.  The 194 LED's for the map lights are available in Canada from these guys below, not cheap though as the shipping is $12, a rip off but probably cheaper than from the U.S.. I had the wire already , total the mod cost me about $70 Cdn.

http://www.lightdepot.ca/product_info.php?cPath=28_36&products_id=117

Here is the pic now finished:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:53:21 PM by TecSolOnt »

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 02:50:24 PM »
The only problem with getting the "add-a-circuit" from CanTire is that they are WAY overpriced compared to say Sherco.  Same goes for LEDs compared to say Oznium or SuperBrightLEDs.

Canadian Tire in Canada has the add a circuit module in their  automotive section.  They have a small selection of LED lights as well you might be able to use for the foot wells.  I got some really nice ones from them but the were the last ones and the guy behind the counter said they wouldn't be getting anymore.  It was a square module with 30 led's on it about 2*3, double sided tape , not overly bright,  works great $19.99 a piece.  The part number is 041-1527-4 at Cdn Tire if someone is looking for them.  The 194 LED's for the map lights are available in Canada from these guys below, not cheap though as the shipping is $12, a rip off but probably cheaper than from the U.S.. I had the wire already , total the mod cost me about $70 Cdn.

http://www.lightdepot.ca/product_info.php?cPath=28_36&products_id=117

I will post a pic once the map lights are in, just ordered them.

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2010, 08:59:44 PM »

The only problem with getting the "add-a-circuit" from CanTire is that they are WAY overpriced compared to say Sherco.  Same goes for LEDs compared to say Oznium or SuperBrightLEDs

Don't know Sherco  , are they online?  The add a circuit at Cdn Tire was about $4, didn't seem that overpriced.  I looked at SuperBrightLeds but they were in the U.S and shipping was prohibitive, cheaper thru the Cdn company. I'm sure if someone looks hard enough though they could find this stuff cheaper. I added the picture to my previous post now the lights are done, pretty happy with it, here it is again:

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Offline idwtoo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
Sly Bob,

I know it has been a long time since this subject has been addressed but I want to do as you said and install some footwell lights and puddle lights.

I just purchased a 2008 Solstice GXP with 14K miles.  I didn't think it had an interior light and was going to add one then I saw your post.  Turns out there was no fuse in the #27 in the panel. When I try installing one, as I start to push it in, there is a clicking like a relay and the lights flash on and off but once the fuse is seated the lights don't work, door or switch.

I can't tell where the clicking is coming from.  What is inside the BCM could it be inside there that I have a problem? 

Thanks

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
You may have a short somewhere.  Perhaps the previous owner 'modified' something and failed, leaving bad wiring somewhere.   Probably why the fuse was removed.  The symptom you describe sounds like the BCM is finding an over-current situation and disabling the circuit as protection.

Offline idwtoo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 09:59:17 PM »
Thanks TomatoSoup,
You answered a similar question for me at solsticeforum.  Not to quibble, if it was a short, wouldn't it blow the fuse?  What is inside the BCM, I looked on the web but can't find anything but ones for sale.  I am a retired aircraft mechanic but most of the aircraft I worked a bunch of years ago were little changed technically than the ones before WWII.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 10:15:27 PM »
The interior lights are controlled from the door latch mechanism.  Perhaps one of them is bad.

Offline idwtoo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 10:46:27 PM »
OK thanks to both of you.  Now full disclosure, I am embarrassed now that I told you I was an aircraft mechanic, I really am but watch what follows. 

When I got this car the interior map lights didn't work, first thing to do is check the fuse, didn't, assumed it must be the bulbs.  Ordered LED bulbs and they must not be the right ones cause when I found the fuse missing and put in a new one it started the clicking and flickering.  I just went out and removed the leds and installed the original bulbs, shazzam, lights work.  Guess I have be retired toooooo long.

Still would like to know what is in the BCM.

Thanks, next time I will put on my thinking cap before I start a project, any project.

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 10:55:42 PM »
The BCM (Body Control Module) is a combination of the fuses, relays and wiring connectors that you see on the top, along with a microcontroller circuit board inside.  The controller handles all of the intelligence in the car, other than the engine controls that are handled by the ECM in the engine bay.  So it deals with lights (external and internal), remote locking, gauge cluster (speedo etc), GMLAN and other stuff.

Offline idwtoo

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2015, 11:01:59 PM »
TomatoSoup,
I tried to do the under dash install today and the add-a-circuit I used, it is a mini, works the lights in the mirror ok but the added circuit does not dim or go out as the mirror lights do.  I didn't ground it to the ground shown in the pictures does it need to be?

Offline TomatoSoup

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2015, 11:49:20 PM »
It's the ground side that dims the lights.  That line actually goes from ground (lights ON) and the slowly up to 12V (lights off).  So yes, you have to use the ground shown in the pictures.

Offline Gadgetjq

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
I'm resurrecting this thread to ask a question.  Which mirror wires are used to turn the map lights on
I've done the floor lighting and just for grins added led strips behind the seats and everything works great when the doors open.  I'd like to install a switch to turn the lighting on without opening the doors.
I know I can eventually figure it out by shorting the mirror wiring but hope someone knows the answer and can save me a little time (and possibly some blown fuses). 

Cheers!
'08 Sky Redline

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2022, 09:58:14 AM »
As I remember, the ground wire is what is switched so simply connecting that grey wire on the BCM connector to ground should turn in all the lights that are on that circuit.

Offline johnnyh12

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2023, 01:33:52 AM »
Hi all, I also posted over at the Solstice Forum, so sorry for those that see it on both sites but I'm having an issue after what I thought was a successful install.

So I finally got this mod finished, and it looks great... BUT... I'm having the issue of the lights coming back on very dim. I have an LED strip in each footwell, along with a strip illuminating my new wind deflector all connected to slot 27 with a fuse tap and the grey wire with one of those blue taps. Today when I went to start my car, the battery was dead. I was able to charge it, but now I noticed that hours after last opening my doors the wind deflector LED is still glowing lightly.

I also replaced my mirror lights with LEDs. I used the original 10 amp fuse and another 5 amp fuse in the fuse tap. Is the 5 amp fuse too much? I didn't think that really mattered.

I'm not exactly sure where to go from here since everything seems to be connected correctly. Edit: Just checked again and ONLY the wind deflector LEDs are still on.