Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Sumitomo, Dunlop or Goodyear  (Read 1486 times)

lil goat

Sumitomo, Dunlop or Goodyear
« on: May 01, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
OK this is not what you expect I just read Sumitomo owns Dunlop and is partners with GoodYear, who knew. I just wanted to share that info I found to be very interesting.

Sumitomo Rubber Industries, Ltd. (住友ゴム工業株式会社 ,Sumitomo Gomu Kōgyo Kabushiki-gaisha?) (TYO: 5110) is a tire and rubber company based in Japan. It is part of the Sumitomo Group.

The company traces its origins to 1909, when the Sumitomo Group made an investment in Dunlop Japan, the newly formed Japanese subsidiary of the British company Dunlop Rubber. Over the years Sumitomo and Dunlop developed a close business relationship, and in 1963 the Sumitomo Group acquired control of Dunlop Japan and renamed it Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd.

In 1985, when Dunlop Rubber was taken over by BTR plc, the company acquired the automobile tire assets of Dunlop, including the right to use the Dunlop brand on automobile tires. The acquisition did not include the US and Australian businesses, which were separately owned, but in 1986 Sumitomo also acquired the Dunlop Tire Corporation of the US from its management[1].

In 1997, Sumitomo formed a joint venture with Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, by which Goodyear and Sumitomo agreed to manufacture tires for each other's markets, including Dunlop branded tires. As part of the agreement, Goodyear acquired 75% interests in Dunlop Tyres, the UK company which Sumitomo had formed, and in Dunlop Tire Corporation. Goodyear and Sumitomo also made investments in each other.[2]

Today, the company makes a wide range of rubber based products, including automobile tires, golf balls and tennis balls.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Sumitomo, Dunlop or Goodyear
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 05:48:25 PM »
Well all I can say about my Sumi's is that I had to go to Chantilly today is this crap weather we are having, and i couldn't even tell I was on wet roads, Randy & Dave made a great call insisting I get them.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Ben L

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 02:12:40 PM »
I'm sticking my hand up for the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs . . . .

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 04:15:06 PM »
My point is they are all good tires made by the same company!