Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: A Morning with Lyndon  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Sly Nic

• Tech
A Morning with Lyndon
« on: May 11, 2009, 09:33:19 PM »
On May 8th I drove my 2007 N/A Sly out to Tilley, Alberta to be tuned by Lyndon Wester himself.

I had called and spoken to Lyndon to arrange the tune and dyno and asked if I could actively watch and video the process. Lyndon is a friendly guy so he said that I could but I am not too sure that he prepared himself for the 3 million questions (OK - I exaggerate - 3 thousand) that I asked him. He handled it well though and I walked away with not only a custom tuned car but also a much better understanding of the process.  :cool:

I arrived at 10 AM as requested after spending a couple of hours on the road getting there. No trip to Wester's would be complete without mentioning the friendly and efficient Eileen who tends the administrative aspect of Wester's. Lyndon's associates Tim and Cal washed and dried my rubber so as not to leave a mess on the dyno and began to set up the car. It was very interesting to watch the guys painstakingly line up the car on the dyno - alignment on a dyno is critical.

STRAPPED IN

Once the car was aligned, it was "strapped in " and a variety of gauges where added to the exhaust and under the hood. My Sly has a GMPP Cold Air Intake, Solo header, high flow cat and an SQ 2 Solo exhaust system. All of these modifications have been to optimize performance and horse power.

Lyndon steered me straight in my thinking - I had done just about everything to the car that I possibly could (outside of a turbo charge or supercharge) that would increase HP and that the tune was not going to add much more. He told me that the most important thing that the tune would do would be to smooth everything out and optimize the modifications as they existed. I am okay with that because I am not into the numbers - I will never have as much power as a turbo or SC solstice I realize but I want to make sure that the modifications that I do have are being utilized to the fullest extent.

So, the first run began - well actually first and second. Each reading was done twice and the second reading was the one we took.

FIRST RUN

Lyndon went to work on his computer - I could possible tell you what it was he was doing as it was a bunch of computer codes on the screen. He explained a little bit to me as I am totally new to tuning and codes and all that stuff. I must say that it was fascinating watching him work. It was sort of a cycle of getting in the car.... doing two runs while watching the information pillar outside the door .... walking over and looking at the graphs .... walking to the other side of the pit and fiddling with codes.... walking back to the car .... two more runs .... back to the graphs ....back to the tuner computer.

Tim and Lyndon detected an exhaust leak after the first two runs. Time hooked up a smoke machine to determine where the leak was  and to see if affected performance at all. Well, the leak turned out to be at the rear clamp on the muffler and I admit that as the installer of the system, it was my fault for not getting the clamp "just right". Although the leak would not affect the dyno or tuning in any way (due to the position in the system where it was located), Tim took a socket wrench to the clamp and made history of the leak. I can't tell you how much I appreciated this added measure of service - it saved me from climbing under the car later.

So now, leak gone we got back to tuning.....two runs, graphs, tuning computer, two runs....... Two hours and I think about 16 or so runs later, Lyndon said the tune was complete. The whole time, Tim and Lyndon explained (simply, thank goodness) what they were trying to do to the graph.

FINAL RUN

Lyndon again explained about the numbers but more importantly to me, he explained about the performance. He said that there would not be much more HP than I had already attained but that I would notice it in the seat of my pants. Being a heavy equipment operator, I knew exactly what he meant.

Here is a comparison of the start graph and the final graph:

As you can see, the increases were there but not huge - what really strikes me is the smoothness of the tune. It would not do any harm to say that every vehicle tune and results would be different but these are the results for my Solstice and I am very happy with them. It really smoothed out any bumps or inconsistencies. The million dollar question is, however, how does this translate on the road?

I thanked Lyndon and shook his hand after putting up with all my questions. He gave me a really cool hoodie, tshirt and lots of stickers. You have to like vendors that dress you too!  :lol:

The drive home was about 2 hours of really straight prairie road - I only noticed small differences in fourth or fifth gear as most of the trip is made at about 125 KPH (that is 78 MPH for those of you south of the 49th). However, once I got closer to the city and lower speeds, I did truly feel the difference in the seat of my pants. The lower range on the gears are incredibly more responsive and faster causing instantaneous perma-grin and a feeling of immortality! That was three days ago and the awe and grin are still happening.  :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

I feel like a real winner here - firstly, the tune was worth every cent, secondly I am fortunate enough to be able to take my car in for a tune in person to a man who has perfected his tune on the car and lastly, I was able to meet and talk to a really nice guy. I learned a lot in a few hours.

Thank you so much Lyndon - there is a reason you are considered the top in your field.

(PS - I am in the process of making a movie of the experience for Lyndon - stay tuned)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 09:57:01 PM by Sly Nic »
Get it while the getting is good.....

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
Re: A Morning with Lyndon
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
Lyndon's associates Tim and Cal washed and dried my rubber so as not to leave a mess.   :gaah: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Let the one liners begin !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :poke: :poke:
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 03:04:58 AM »
Great post Nic!  Can't wait to see the movie  :)  Once again you got your mod done right before me, we are going to be there on the 21st.  I WAS going to post a video too, but since our cars are so similar, there wouldn't be much difference.  :lol: I'll post the dyno results for a GXP that only has a Solo cat and Mach exhaust for performance mods to give others an idea of what to expect.

So what's next on your mod list....once the summer of driving enjoyment is over that is?  Maybe I can get 1 mod done before you do  :poke:
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

lil goat

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
I am so glad to see posts like this, I have never met Lyndon face to face, but we talk a couple of times a week. He is a very nice man and a true giant in his field. You can comment to how small this big operation is, he try's to make everyone feel like they are his only customer, and I think he succeeds. I am very proud to call Lyndon my friend.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
SB - nope not going to do it, you know the Canadians are like Brits, same words mean different things.

To a Brit a rubber, is what you use to erase (or rub) a mistake off of paper that you put there with a pencil. 
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:25:20 PM »
..... you know the Canadians are like Brits.......

Ouch!  Now that one hurt   :cryin:

Offline Sly Nic

• Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:07:19 PM »
So what's next on your mod list....once the summer of driving enjoyment is over that is?  Maybe I can get 1 mod done before you do  :poke:

I am finished...really....I mean really..... for now!

Well, truth be told, I am thinking of the backbone brace.....

But really - I am finished...... really!  :lol: :lol: :lol: :ca:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 07:56:32 PM »
you know the Canadians are like Brits

Except some Canadians speak French. :lol:
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Pumpkinhead

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 11:50:05 PM »
  SA - "Except some Canadians speak French"

...and their bacon tastes funny
Women remember this: Crying is Blackmail

'08 Brazen Gxp purchased new 12/08 with all options - even (sigh) AT. Have GM CAI. Waiting for GMPP and Solo Exhaust. Looking to get together with other local members - perhaps in Doral.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »
PH, you need to bar-b-q the Canadian bacon if you want it to taste right.  I can't comment on the french speaking people, my wife is french!  But if I could comment, I have a ton of French jokes that are cracking me up right now!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 11:58:54 PM »
KWhale PM me the jokes I will post them for you and all will be good.

PH the bacon taste odd because its gone bad do to taking so long to get to the end of the driveway
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 12:23:42 AM »
Wow you just described me .. odd tasting,french heritage with a long driveway..are you guys clairvoyant

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
Wow you just described me .. odd tasting,french heritage with a long driveway..are you guys clairvoyant

Clairvoyant...that sounds French, I'm more of German heritage.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 09:40:52 PM »
French-Canadian heritage here. Ancestors came over in the mid 17th century. Supposedly there's a memorial to them somewhere on the island portion of Quebec.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 12:43:37 AM »
U415, no er, U132 that's not it er, Uboat (close enough), what was their last name?  If you can remember, we can have an Internet search contest to find a pick of the memorial!  The winner would get $1M of PoorBoys products.  I may need to check with them, but I'm pretty sure it'll be OK with em.

lil goat

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »
I once accused Lyndon of being French, he was deeply offended and told me in no uncertain terms he was not French they had run them off and that he was a red neck.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 09:50:54 AM »
I take that as a compliment.  My dad was a redneck, and I have always been one as well.  Lyndon, be proud that you are a redneck.  Thanks for posting this thread Sly Nic. 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:08:19 AM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Sly Nic

• Tech
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »
This is undeniably the most flagrant example of a thread hijack I have ever seen!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How come there is no emoticon for thread hi-jack here on this forum...I mean - maybe a toaster at gunpoint with a pirate flag or something?  :poke:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 09:04:39 PM »
I once accused Lyndon of being French, he was deeply offended and told me in no uncertain terms he was not French they had run them off and that he was a red neck.

I think Lyndon might be less offended if you were to say start selling his tune and claiming it was your own mysterious discovery.

This is undeniably the most flagrant example of a thread hijack I have ever seen!  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

How come there is no emoticon for thread hi-jack here on this forum...I mean - maybe a toaster at gunpoint with a pirate flag or something?  :poke:

I vote for the toaster at gunpoint just so long as it doesn't make French toast.
2007 Aggressive GXP