Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How to: DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - Wrap Your DP and Exhaust!  (Read 13950 times)

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: How to: DEI Titanium Exhaust Wrap - Wrap Your DP and Exhaust!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2009, 12:45:58 AM »
Fiberfrax Durablanket Insulation Blankets we used these on the transition between our areo derivitive turbines (jet engines) and the Power turbines on the pipeline that I used to work for..
the transition piece was Titanium alloy and would glow a deep red when running.. the blanket did help the turbine run slightly more efficient and it solve a heat soak problem as internal and external parts would cool at around the same rate...I think if memory serves me right it was good to around 2000 f.. weavable ceramics neat stuff...

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2010, 02:28:32 AM »
Searched and found this thread.

It's weird that designated turbo blankets were falling apart like that - this is really the first report I've seen so far.  I was hoping to use a blanket for a while until getting the manifold and turbine housing ceramic coated.  What was the outcome of talking to the company?

On the topic of wrapping a cast manifold, as long as there isn't a lot of overlap and you soak the wrap first to get it tight - do we have a lot to worry about with the increased temperatures severely damaging the GXP headers?  I know there is a greater potential for rust which is fine but i'd like to find a happy medium between turbo spool and manifold longevity.

Offline MGar

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2010, 05:20:18 AM »
Searched and found this thread.

It's weird that designated turbo blankets were falling apart like that - this is really the first report I've seen so far.  I was hoping to use a blanket for a while until getting the manifold and turbine housing ceramic coated.  What was the outcome of talking to the company?

On the topic of wrapping a cast manifold, as long as there isn't a lot of overlap and you soak the wrap first to get it tight - do we have a lot to worry about with the increased temperatures severely damaging the GXP headers?  I know there is a greater potential for rust which is fine but i'd like to find a happy medium between turbo spool and manifold longevity.

If you look closely, you'll find that wasn't a turbo blanket that failed.  It was a wrap that as someone else pointed out, was meant to insulate a starter.  Also note that it says 2000 degrees of radiant heat.  Being a turbo blanket isn't radiant heat, but direct heat.
2008 GXP
GM Stage II, GMPP CAI, Dejon IC, Dejon Hardpipes & T-bolts
GMPP Suspension, DDM Backbone & Rear Brace

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2010, 09:48:49 AM »
I was looking for something similar for the Hahn Turbo and log style manifold. I wasn't going to pay almost $100 for turbo blanket and went with the black wrap(which does turn back to tan over time). For $50 I wrapped the manifold and turbo all the way to the down pipe and probably didn't use half of the roll. Wrapping the turbo itself will send some heat forward into the compressor side and melted the rubber couplings. Had to switch to silicone. I used stainless steel hose clamps to secure everything.

It doesn't look pretty but does improve response in spool up. So much so the turbo was sopoling up hills on the highway that it had an effect on fuel economy. But I do like the spool up much better than mpg side effects.

07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 10:13:36 AM »
If you look closely, you'll find that wasn't a turbo blanket that failed.  It was a wrap that as someone else pointed out, was meant to insulate a starter.  Also note that it says 2000 degrees of radiant heat.  Being a turbo blanket isn't radiant heat, but direct heat.

Ah, good point. I read that post but there were no other comments so I wasn't sure about the outcome.  Well that's good to hear. 

I was looking for something similar for the Hahn Turbo and log style manifold. I wasn't going to pay almost $100 for turbo blanket and went with the black wrap(which does turn back to tan over time). For $50 I wrapped the manifold and turbo all the way to the down pipe and probably didn't use half of the roll. Wrapping the turbo itself will send some heat forward into the compressor side and melted the rubber couplings. Had to switch to silicone. I used stainless steel hose clamps to secure everything.

It doesn't look pretty but does improve response in spool up. So much so the turbo was sopoling up hills on the highway that it had an effect on fuel economy. But I do like the spool up much better than mpg side effects.

Yeah, they can be expensive.   I was planning on wrapping my manifold but hadn't thought about using the same stuff on the turbine housing.  I wonder if an actual blanket will keep some of that radiant heat away from the rest of the turbo; did you notice a loss of power with that fast spool-up with the extra heat on the compressor?

Offline NormSky

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2010, 10:35:28 AM »
The extra air from spool up negates the added heat. Also the IC returned everything to normal.

Not sure about more hp/torque increase but overall drivibility has improved with quicker response.

07 Sky Hahn Boosted - 44 MPG  40 mpg with air conditioning on.

Offline idkfa

• Violent Jain
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • mostly harmless
    • Make
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
Good stuff.. quicker spooling is always more fun :)

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2010, 08:27:32 PM »
Good stuff.. quicker spooling is always more fun :)

Yes it is!

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:20 PM »
When I took off my exhaust manifold to coat it I saw just how close the waterpump to thermostat pipe was. About finger thickness. Wrap that.