Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: This is what you need to run Nitrous - LOOK HERE!  (Read 19065 times)

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
This is what you need to run Nitrous - LOOK HERE!
« on: May 17, 2009, 08:49:05 PM »
There are alot of questions here about what you need to run nitrous on your car. There are many, many topics on this already but people somehow fail to find them. So I thought I would create a thread for 2.0, 2.4, and users to cut down on the repeat posts...

1) WET Nitrous Kit - Recommended but not required
You can run a dry nitrous kit but it is hard to tune for unless your current tuning option has the ability to switch between a "street" and "nitrous" tune and/or make fuel/timing adjustments at the time the activation switch is turned on.

Popular Nitrous Kits:
Zex Wet Nitrous Kit (P/N - 82021)
NX (Nitrous Express) Wet Nitrous Kit (P/N - 20919)
NOS (Nitrous Oxide Systems) Wet Nitrous Kit (P/N - 05134NOS)
Dynotune Wet Nitrous Kit (P/N - 604)

2) Window Switch - Recommended but not required
A window switch controls the point in which nitrous is activated and deactivated. For example, if you set your window switch to open at 3200RPM and close at 6300RPM then the nitrous will ONLY activate in between this RPM range and when you are WOT (assuming you have a WOT/TPS switch). This provides a little extra security when spraying to prevent you from bounching off the rev limiter while spraying or spraying too early.

Popular Window Switches:
Dynotune Window Switch (P/N - 711)
Zex Window Switch (P/N - 82085)
MSD Digital RPM Window Switch (P/N - 8969)

3) Bottle Warmer - Highly Recommended
Probably one of the most important nitrous accessories you can have. This will keep your bottle pressure constant to ensure that you are getting the most power from your nitrous system. When making back to back pulls under nitrous, your bottle pressure will drop which will effect the strength of the shot. Using a bottle heater will prevent this from happening by warming the bottle until the desired pressure is reached. Typically you will want to spray with a bottle pressure between 900-1100psi to ensure optimal power.

When purchasing a bottle heater, stay away from temperature controlled bottle warmers. These bottle warmers are inconsistent and do not help maintain an optimal bottle pressure. You will want one that is pressure controlled.

Popular Bottle Warmers
Dynotune Bottle Warmer (P/N - 100)
NOS Bottle Warmer (P/N - 14169NOS)

4) Pressure Gauge - Highly Recommended
A nitrous pressure gauge will allow you to see the current pressure of your bottle. Without one of these, you are basically spraying in the dark. You have no way of telling whether your bottle pressure is too high or too low and if it IS too high can lead to a blown motor if you decide to spray. This is also required for setting the pressure switch with a pressure controlled bottle warmer. These can be mounted on the bottle or remote mounted, anywhere that you can keep an eye on it is recommended.

Popular Pressure Gauges:
Zex Bottle Mounted Pressure Gauge (P/N - 82005)
NX Bottle Mounted Pressure Gauge (P/N - 15509)
NX Remote Mounted Pressure Gauge (P/N - 15531)
Dynotune Remote Mounted Pressure Gauge (P/N - 007)

5) 1 Step Colder Spark Plugs - Required
When running nitrous, you must run colder spark plugs in combination with 91/93 octane. This is a safety measure to prevent the chance of detonation under spray. Most 2.0 guys here are likely running 1 step colder plugs anyway if you are running some form of a stage tune.

Popular 1 Step Colder Plugs - 2.0:
NGK BKR7E (P/N - 6097)
Autolite 3922 (P/N - 3922)

Popular 1 Step Colder Plugs - 2.2/2.4:
NGK LTR6IX-11 (P/N - 6509)

6) Nitrous Purge - Optional
A nitrous purge is intended to be used to keep fresh nitrous in the lines to guarantee a strong shot. Whether this is something you would like to invest in is up to you. I personally only use this to empty my lines after use.

Popular Purge Kits:
Zex Nitrous Purge Kit (P/N - 82010)
NOS Nitrous Purge Kit (P/N - 16030NOS)
Dynotune Nitrous Purge Kit (P/N - 301)

7) Nitrous Blowdown Tube - Optional
If for some reason your bottle pressure reaches a high enough pressure to rupture the safety disk on the bottle (ie: leaving the bottle heater on), this tube will route the nitrous outside of the vehicle. SOME race tracks require these if your bottle is in the passenger compartment, check with your local track first to verify.

Popular Blowdown Tubes:
Dynotune Blowdown Tube (P/N - 909)
Nitrous Outlet Blowdown Tube (P/N - 860-010345)

8) Remote Bottle Opener - Optional
These openers connect to the top of your bottle and allow you to open the bottle via switch. Pretty self explanitory.

Popular Remote Bottle Openers:
Dynotune Bottle Opener (P/N - 400)
NOS Remote Bottle Opener (P/N - NOS-16058NOS)
Zex Remote Bottle Opener (P/N - 82009)

Okay so now you have a complete list of what you have available for a complete nitrous kit. If you are buying everything brand new, expect to spend around $1000 for a setup.

Also, just to add to this post...I have read alot of posts on here about "how much can I spray?" For the 2.0 and 2.4, anything 75 shot and below is considered safe and has been done many times over. You could probably get away with a 100 shot on a progressive setup and pulling a couple degrees of timing but how long that will last I cannot answer.

One thing you may want to think about if you're considering nitrous is how many degrees of timing you are running off the bottle. If it is fairly advanced, you may want to step back to stock timing just to be on the safe side and work your way up (or down, depending on shot size) from there...aka, do some fine tuning.

Now, if you still have questions about your setup after thoroughly reading this then feel free to post.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 04:21:55 PM by DeepBlueGXP »
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Solo Hi Flow Cat/ 3in dual exhaust
Kappa Intake
Dakota Digital EG, Boost Gauage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, Fuel Pressure
DDM Probeam, Backbone, IC Pipes, Coilcover Cross Brace
JPM Shifter, Center Console
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
Re: This Is What You Need To Run Nitrous - LOOK HERE!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »
Can we make this a sticky
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 10:20:19 PM »
Biggest problem i see with a nitrous setup is the tuning. It would be nice if the ecm/hptuners would switch to a different map when the nitrous is triggered, but it cant. So either you run your normal tune without nitrous or a detuned tune with nitrous, and you have to switch back and forth between the two... kinda pita unless you're only spraying at the track and then go home on your regular tune.
Also im not sure how the ecm would react to a dry shot, all of a sudden there's a huge lean spike when the nitrous is sprayed but the maf isn't reading any extra airflow, hopefully the ecm will dump extra fuel.
The original post is all about hardware, but it should be more focused on the ecm since that's the biggest hurdle. Spray and pray and you'll eventually pay for it in the end.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 10:40:56 PM »
So is this a setup that is working on your GXP?

Offline IBDRINKEN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Donkey Master
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:07 PM »
I havent tried it yet, just did some research for information so people that want to run it have some decent idea. Shabby your so right about the ecm. I would only be using it to spool the turbo up, so it would be a small shot 35 or maybe 50.
13.5@101.90
320HP 358 Torque
Kappa Intake
DDM Intercooler
AEM Water/Meth Injection

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2009, 11:49:30 PM »
IBdrinken    I have the ZEX direct port system on my Turbo PT w/75 hp nozzels .Don't spray all the time But it works fine . Everything above is on mine.    :brnout:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 09:23:30 PM »
5) 1 Step Colder Spark Plugs - Required
When running nitrous, you must run colder spark plugs in combination with 91/93 octane. This is a safety measure to prevent the chance of detonation under spray. Most 2.0 guys here are likely running 1 step colder plugs anyway if you are running some form of a stage tune.

Popular 1 Step Colder Plugs - 2.0:
NGK BKR7E (P/N - 6097)
Autolite 3922 (P/N - 3922)

Are you sure about that NGK part number?  Where did you get that reference from?  Also, would you happen to know the part number for a 1 step colder plug then the AC-Delco 41-108?  I've got conflicting information that the 41-103 is a 1 step colder version of the 41-108