Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DIY: Make your own tunnel brace  (Read 50502 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: DIY: Make your own tunnel brace
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »
I used a drill press and a jigsaw, high speed die grinder with 80 grit to bevel the edges and smooth out the cut. 

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2008, 02:26:24 PM »
Does this need to be done on a lift?  Or can you jack up the car and remove it?  Is it safe to remove the tunnel brace while the car is jacked up in the air? (since the body would be kind of twisting).
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
Drive up a ramps and jack the back of the car, place the back on jack stands.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2008, 10:28:55 PM »
Hmmmm, I still had questions and I wanted to talk to my brother the other day about getting some material. I was going to see him in a few hours and I PMed Lucy's Daddy to ask him a few questions about a previous posting that he made on this thread.

I had read Wayne's posts about the 7075-T6 vs 6061-T6 and I wasn't sure if I were to use the 7075 if I should go to 3/8" stock or stay with the 1/4". We obviously want all the stiffness but don't want to add the weight.

Wayne said that he would probably go with the 1/4". He has seen some 5/16 also. Obviously 3/8 would be better, but how much? DDM did testing on their lift. He had thought that 1/4" 7075 would be similar to 3/8" 6061, and cost about the same, but be that pound or 2 lighter. He also pointed out that he had no intentions of carving out the center of the brace as DDM did. Probably a couple of drain holes, but that's it. Definately powder coating it but he wasn't sure what colour. I mentioned the the triangular holes in the DDM product pictured on their site were only on the prototype and not on the product that they were shipping.

I should find out the first of the week what the material will cost me. Thanks to Wayne for getting back to me as quick as he did.
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2008, 11:13:30 PM »
Can someone please explain to me the importance and/or necessity of powder coating?   :huh:
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2008, 12:01:59 AM »
Powder coating looks cool.. That being said I recently had my snow plow epoxy coated..holds up better..
Bacon

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #56 on: December 28, 2008, 12:14:02 AM »
Powder coating looks cool.. That being said I recently had my snow plow epoxy coated..holds up better..
Bacon

Yes it does, but on the practical side, the 7075 T6 aluminum is not as corrosion resistant as the 6061. It won't rust out but powder coating will protect it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:15:11 PM by Sly Bob »

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 04:38:41 PM »
Over here in So. Cal. it was $2.90/lb

They sold me a piece that was 12inch by 48 inch which was 10lb for $29.00
BUT, they had to cut my piece out of a bigger piece so they charged $7.00 for 1 cut.
I know 12inch by 48 inch is too much but it was pretty much the same price as paying for another cut to make it 32"x12"

So in all, i paid $36.00 for my piece but in theory someone else might be able to get theres for around $30.  All in all, i'd say anywhere around $40 is the going price.

Now i actually have to get it done :P
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 03:48:12 AM by Deep-GXP »

Offline Lucy'sDaddy

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
    • Lucy's cardomain page
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 08:59:54 PM »
Deep-GXP, is that 3/8" 6061-T6, 1/4" 7075-T6, or what is it?

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Reply
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
I used 6061 T6 Aluminum 3/16 thick, T6 is very hard and will not flex. 

I bought exactly that kind ^^^^^^
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 10:49:57 PM by Deep-GXP »

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2009, 09:35:22 PM »
Before i get down there and start taking off bolts some time later this week, i have a couple questions and maybe i can get some answers :)

Does any part of the Exhaust need to be taken off ?  Does anything else need to be loosened in order for the brace to slide out ??  Did you drill extra holes into the brace or did you just leave it as a solid piece ?

Thank you.

Carlos

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #61 on: January 12, 2009, 09:57:09 PM »
I drilled the same holes that are used to bolt it up.  Depending on the exhaust you may have to take it apart.  The Solo street race had a Y pipe that was in the way.  The Magnaflow was no problem.  I torqued the bolts to 35 ft lbs.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2009, 05:36:59 PM »
Just made a brace of my own....here are some pics.

Jacked up the back and used two 6 ton jacks  :)

Took the 12 bolts out and this pic shows how the brace gets stuck on the GXP exhaust.

One of these suckers will help with getting one of the bolts out.  All other 11 bolts had easy access.  I dont mean this exact one, but a Swivel Socket will help you out with one of the bolts but it's not neccesarry.

Lubed it up with some WD-40 and pulled and twisted til i got this sucker out.
This is the Front-Driver side rubber holder thing.

This is the Back-Driver side rubber thing.

This is the Passenger side front rubber thing.  I didnt have to remove the passenger side back rubber.  After removing these 3, i was able to pull the exhaust down an extra 1/2 inch or so and i was able to slide the tunnel brace out.

Finally the sucker was out and i just HAD TO take a picture of me bending the stock tunnel brace  :D

Trace, Cut, Drill, and Paint.

Stock brace (Left) and new brace (Right).  My cut wasnt the straigthest or the cleanest but...... whatever :)

Trying to bend the new piece but it barely bends just a tiny tiny little bit and i could only hold it for like 2 seconds and im a decently strong guy.

The car definitely feels more stable and more in control.  I still need to give it a good test drive to see how well it performs over stock.

Thank you DBG, this would never have happened without you :)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Good job, btw, nice color car !!!

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2009, 09:13:55 PM »
Nice post Deep-GXP! Now that I am back from holidays, I have to get on this. I found some 3/8" stock for $80 but 1/4" would save some weight and 3/8" might be a bit more than we would need anyway

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2009, 09:25:03 PM »
Nice post Deep-GXP! Now that I am back from holidays, I have to get on this. I found some 3/8" stock for $80 but 1/4" would save some weight and 3/8" might be a bit more than we would need anyway

You should be able to get it cheaper?  3/16" 6061 T6 Aluminum did a great job.  I picked up a 10lb piece for $29 + $7 for them to cut it for me (12" X 48" I believe, which was more than I needed).  You should be looking to spend roughly $40 for the aluminum piece.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2009, 02:00:09 PM »
Now that the weather is clearing up a bit here, I have jacked up the car, taken off the tunnel brace and found the 6061-T6 locally for $52.90 Canadian. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning and cut it out tomorrow afternoon.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2009, 06:15:19 PM »
Now that the weather is clearing up a bit here, I have jacked up the car, taken off the tunnel brace and found the 6061-T6 locally for $52.90 Canadian. I'll pick it up tomorrow morning and cut it out tomorrow afternoon.

that's like 3.32 US right
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2009, 06:28:09 PM »
that's like 3.32 US right
That's about right...   :gaah:

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2009, 05:31:59 PM »
I cut the tunnel brace today and now I just have to get it powder coated. I wasn't going to bother with the powder coating but a local guy said that he would do it for $15 as long as I don't care what colour it is. Looks like it'll probably be gloss black. If I was going to paint it, I couldn't buy the paint for $15!  :ca:

Joe suggested that I use oil, WD40 or some lubricant to prevent the saw from binding. I had no problem with the saw binding but without lubricant, at one time the saw blade plugged with aluminum and I had to stop and pick the aluminum off the teeth of the blade. A little WD40 prevented that from happening again. I used a 11 tooth per inch metal cutting blade on the saw and I still have the second blade of a two blade pack. Broke the first blade.  :cryin:

Sides were filed straight after cutting and smoothed with a flapper sanding wheel on my die grinder.

Thanks goes out to DDM for the idea and Joe for that old DIY spirit. When I get it powder coated, I will post another picture.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 04:26:13 PM by Sly Bob »

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2009, 07:13:26 PM »
I cut the tunnel brace today and now I just have to get it powder coated. I wasn't going to bother with the powder coating but a local guy said that he would do it for $15 as long as I don't care what colour it is. Looks like it'll probably be gloss black. If I was going to paint it, I couldn't buy the paint for $15!  :ca:

Joe suggested that I use oil, WD40 or some lubricant to prevent the saw from binding. I had no problem with the saw binding but without lubricant, at one time the saw blade plugged with aluminum and I had to stop and pick the aluminum off the teeth of the blade. A little WD40 prevented that from happening again. I used a 11 tooth per inch metal cutting blade on the saw and I still have the second blade of a two blade pack. Broke the first blade.  :cryin:

Sides were filed straight after cutting and smoothed with a flapper sanding wheel on my die grinder.

Thanks goes out to DDM for the idea and Joe for that old DIY spirit. When I get it powder coated, I will post another picture.

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

Wow man.....that came out clean !!!
Great Job!
10/10 !  Mine on the other hand was probably 2/10 lol but i figured it doesnt have to look pretty   :)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2009, 11:05:40 PM »
Wow man.....that came out clean !!!
Great Job!
10/10 !  Mine on the other hand was probably 2/10 lol but i figured it doesnt have to look pretty   :)

Thanks Man! Yeah it REALLY doesn't matter at all as no one's gonna see the darn thing anyway. :crazy:
I don't know that I would say yours was a 2/10 but that post you made with the pictures was a 10/10. :award:

An orbital sander with fine grit sandpaper really cleaned it up.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 11:09:55 PM by Sly Bob »

lil goat

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 02:14:09 AM »
Just a comment on thickness, I remember the rather ingenius test that DDM thought up, they would jack up the car from one side until the opposite side was off the ground and measure the difference in height of the 2 tires off the ground with different braces on the car. Stock then 1/4" and then 3/8" they did notice a difference with the thicker brace, there was less of a drop. How relevant is this I can't say, but there is a valid reason they sell a 1/4" and a 3/8". I tend to really throw my car around so I went with the thicker one, but I think a 1/4" sheet of good stiff cardboard would be better than stock.

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 03:00:39 AM »
Try Kerosene as a cutting lubricant for aluminum..a trick an old Millwright showed me when I was an apprentice..
Bacon

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 09:14:22 AM »
Try Kerosene as a cutting lubricant for aluminum..a trick an old Millwright showed me when I was an apprentice..
Bacon
Why, so when it heats up you can use the flame as a light? :lol: