Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: No Lift Shift  (Read 3695 times)

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
No Lift Shift
« on: July 30, 2009, 09:04:28 PM »
First of all, im sorry if a thread on this has already been started but I searched and couldn't find any.

Also, im sorry if this is in the wrong forum....but since the new GMPP kit with new TUNE comes with NLS, then i figured this was the forum to post in :)

Anyway, I attempted No Lift Shift in 2nd gear at 6374 RPMS.
The RPM's shot up to 6960 and stayed there til I shifted into 3rd gear (my rev limiter is 7000).

Is this how NLS is supposed to work?  Is it supposed to bring your revs up right before it's limit ??  I thought NLS is supposed to hold your rpms, in my case it should have stayed at 6374 RPMS until I shifted into 3rd.

You can tell by the picture that it did indeed hold at 6960 even if it was for a split second, you can still see the flat line.
My MAP and MAF stayed up and you can see my TPS is at 83% (maxed out) :)

Click the Image for a much bigger picture
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:09:39 PM by Deep-GXP »
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
Re: No Lift Shift
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »
NLTS is supposed to bring your rpm down so when the next gear engages the engagement is smooth, it doesn't seem like its doing it.

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 09:00:18 AM »
Shabby, the purpose of No Lift Shift is purely to maintain boost pressure when shifting so that the power is still "on" when you get the next gear engaged. It definitely does not drop the revs.

I don't fully recall the exact engineering details of how or why it works, but normally the boost is released somehow when you hit the rev limiter (same as it's released when you lift off the gas at lower revs and you get the "wheeze"). The No Lift Shift feature prevents that boost from being released when you keep the gas pedal matted and shift above 6250??? RPM. From the driver's perspective those are the key details you need to make it work.

Does anyone have a link to the No Lift Shift "specs"?
2007 Sky Redline, Midnight Blue, Black top, Ebony/Tan interior.

Offline e-sarge

• Tech
    • My Page on IMSaturn
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 09:29:07 AM »
Does anyone have a link to the No Lift Shift "specs"?

Found one: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f64/no-lift-shift-56358/#post847287

Apparently the NLS range is 6300-6500, and works by suppressing spark (to prevent RPMs from rising) while maintaining boost. The rev limiter also suppresses spark except the rev limiter also releases boost, as I understand it.
2007 Sky Redline, Midnight Blue, Black top, Ebony/Tan interior.

Offline rich71

• Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
isn't the NLS based on fuel cutoff while changing gears? That would be why the rpm drops so you don't overrev the engine and reach the "true" rev limiter fuel cutoff that screws things up. The main purpose of the NLS is to cancel the throttle butterfly delay when you lift the pedal while shifting....the slower you shift using the NLS, the more decrease in rpm you will see....IMHO of course.

.............posted and i see the answer was found already. i thought it was fuel, not spark interupt.
2007 Midnight Blue Redline
Manual Trans
Westers Race Tune
Hahn Intercooler
GMPP Catback Exhaust
ReBar
DDM Race Backbone Brace
JPM Shifter
Sprint Booster
K&N Filter
Stubby Antenna
Redline overlay on 3rd brake light
BMW LiftPucks 4the BLIND

Offline AdamVIP

• Tech
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 01:54:52 PM »
NLS definitely does not stop fuel.  i get a nice rally car pop if I do it from the fuel let out of the motor.  I have received a misfire once when I let up on the gas a bit during one out of habit.
2007 Manual GXP
her name is Victoria (Tori with the top down)

Offline perris

• Master Tech
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 02:27:03 PM »
I think the no lift shift will give increases in time even if you didn't have a turbo

it's pretty much a safe power shift and you don't have to let off the gas to make your shift since you can't bounce off the rev limiter or pass redline

it has the added bonus in a turbo of keeping boost high but I don't think that's the main gain

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:36:49 PM »
So...did it or did it not work??
I dont see why else my rpms would flat line at 6960 rpms.

I burned a lot of rubber last time i tried to NLS from 1st into 2nd.

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Shabby, the purpose of No Lift Shift is purely to maintain boost pressure when shifting so that the power is still "on" when you get the next gear engaged. It definitely does not drop the revs.

Yes and it does this by dropping or holding the rpm when you push the clutch in, if you dont have nlts you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter... and thats what is happening to Deep-GXP. This exact same thing will happen to everyone who doesn't have nlts.
I had this feature on my talon and it was set to 6000 rpm, everytime i shifted the rpm fell to 6000 and was held there till i found the next gear. Basically nlts is a second rev limiter with the clutch pushed in and when you're moving, and launch control is a 3rd rev limiter when you're stopped and with the clutch pushed in.

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 05:48:14 PM »
---------------------
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:49:25 PM by Deep-GXP »

Offline AdamVIP

• Tech
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »
I guess I can play around in my car and see how it handles NLS.  I dont recall it holding a new rev limiter but I guess its possible.
2007 Manual GXP
her name is Victoria (Tori with the top down)

Offline shabby

• Master Tech
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »
Wouldnt bouncing off the rev limiter make my car jerk around a bit ?  The car feels pretty smooth when I do it.
Anyway, im stumped as to why NLS isnt kicking in.

Not really, the rev limiters in today's cars are pretty smooth and dont jerk like older cars. Did you try nlts before you upped the redline? I wonder if editing the limit messed something up.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
This can be achieved ONLY with GMPP, right?

There is nobody who can replicate it without GMPP?
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
I think that Wester's also has the NLS feature available on some of the tunes.  If I am wrong I am sure LG or DBG will correct me.
2007 Aggressive GXP