Forum > Drive Train and Suspension

HKS Coilover info

(1/5) > >>

lil goat:
I had a chance to talk to Rhys Millen and Eric from RMR about the HKS coilovers that they helped develop. Eric was a suspension tech on a road race team for many years before becoming Team manager for RMR. The HKS coilover setup for the Solstice is the first set ever designed by HKS in this country for our style of driving and roads. All previous systems were designed in Japan. We have much different roads and driving style here obviously. Eric told me a good place to start for the front setup is 11 clicks from stiffest and for the back about 12-14 from softest, or if you want a lighter backend add more stiffness with about 3 from stiffest being the setting for drifting. I am sure most of this translates to other coilovers as well. I can tell you from personal experience that out of the box the height setting of the HKS setup is very low, even lower than the Eibach springs. I raised mine and inch and I think I may come up even more. I was parked next to Dee's Coupe yesterday and it looked like a 4X4 it was so much higher. It is so easy to adjust just pop the tire off and it's a piece of cake.

lil goat:
Last night I decided to take the advice of a Pro and adjust the dampening on my coilovers. I set them to 10 clicks back from all the way stiff, clockwise stiffer. I can tell a difference, I wasn't sure I would be able to the car comes set at 20 from stiffest. It really helped the car to not dip the nose in corners, more than I would have expected it still dips some but it is slower to dip and seems to recover faster. I am going to play with the rear settings this weekend and raise the car a little bit. These coilovers are fun.

Kelu:
I read this carefully, I was thinking to buy Eibach lowering springs but I gave up to this idea.
My way will be for coilovers somewhere in the next months, still reading everything which is available and I read your post few times already.

Up to now from what I have seen there are some options:
HKS about $1800-$2000
KW V3 about $1800-$2000
BC Coilover cheapest $1000

Thank you for sharing the info, even you not get many replies there are many like me which are learning from the experienced owners.

Ben L:
Interesting.  Comparing notes . . . .

On the BCs, I am running 20 clicks in the rear (ten away from full stiff!) and 11 (19 away from full stiff) in the front.  

Pushing is about gone, with no untoward oversteering tendencies.

Glad to know my trial and error experience agrees more or less with what a "Pro" said.  

I still am resisting raising my ride height.  When the Daytona Coupe is race ready, and the GXP is relegated to permanent street duty, maybe I will.  Hopefully, I'll still have some air dam left.  The bottom edge is getting ground pretty regularly, but not hitting anything metal.  Very much.

Ben L:

--- Quote from: Kelu on June 11, 2009, 10:10:23 AM ---I read this carefully, I was thinking to buy Eibach lowering springs but I gave up to this idea.
My way will be for coilovers somewhere in the next months, still reading everything which is available and I read your post few times already.

Up to now from what I have seen there are some options:
HKS about $1800-$2000
KW V3 about $1800-$2000
BC Coilover cheapest $1000

Thank you for sharing the info, even you not get many replies there are many like me which are learning from the experienced owners.

--- End quote ---

Kelu -- For comparison, check out my posts on the BC Racing coilovers. . .

http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=1638.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version