Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Cable stretch and the tulip panel flaps  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Derf

• Tech
Re: Cable stretch and the tulip panel flaps
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2009, 04:52:00 PM »
While you folks are in there, check the velcro where the cloth top guide pins rest when the top is down. There's a metal tab that comes in contact with pins (pins are at the extreme front of the top).  The metal tab has a piece of velcro on it, which is intended to isolate the two metal surfaces.  Unfortunately, it wears rather quickly, resulting in a cricket type noise when driving top down. I've looked for a rubber boot to put over the tab, and so far have found nothing suitable. Black tape will be my next fix, as the velcro is beyond repair now.

I have tried leather, and rubber to no avail. Currently using a piece of bicycle inner tube, road tire size. Mixed results, it gets worn through quite quickly. One owner cut the front weld and bent the front tab down, have not gotten to that yet. My pin really slams into the tab.

Offline Derf

• Tech
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2009, 04:53:54 PM »
Devoking,
How the heck do you keep that area so clean  :gaah:

Offline SHEZOOMM

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2009, 07:36:16 PM »
Let's try this again.....
On our way to Louisville in April I noticed that the cabin was a little noisier,(radio was low volume and copilot was on normal)
Lots of noise from the rear head area.
The dealer indicated that the cable has a SPRING on the end of it...
The Spring is the problem Not the cable...
I store the car Nov. to April..with the top up and in place.
Maybe the Top should be down or at least un locked.(so that the pressure is off of the Spring)
any ideas..
SHEZOOMM
 :ca:

Offline Devoking

• Tech
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2009, 08:06:01 PM »
I disagree. If you go look at it and play around a little there is no tension on the spring. The spring is just there in case there is ever too much tension on the cable.
I also dont think storing the car with the top down is a good idea either. The owners manual specifically states to not leave it down for extended periods.

Let's try this again.....
On our way to Louisville in April I noticed that the cabin was a little noisier,(radio was low volume and copilot was on normal)
Lots of noise from the rear head area.
The dealer indicated that the cable has a SPRING on the end of it...
The Spring is the problem Not the cable...
I store the car Nov. to April..with the top up and in place.
Maybe the Top should be down or at least un locked.(so that the pressure is off of the Spring)
any ideas..
SHEZOOMM
 :ca:

Offline Devoking

• Tech
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
Devoking,
How the heck do you keep that area so clean  :gaah:

Actually that is one area I don't pay any attention to. I do wipe down the back area of the trunk every time I wash it.
I must just have very good seals. The car is never garaged, is driven all winter long and has 55,000 mi. on it.

Offline Devoking

• Tech
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
In reference to the top pin holders, I heard once way back in the beginning about taking the supports out and dipping them in the stuff you can dip tool handles in. You should be able to find it at any hardware store.
I have never done it because I don't hear any squeeking from mine.