Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Octane question  (Read 2107 times)

Offline kwayne

• Apprentice/Gofer
Octane question
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:37:18 AM »
I have the GMPP upgrade. I'm going to the strip in a couple of weeks.
CAN I put racing gas in w/o harm? It's like 104 octane.
Mean Green Wolverine
\'07 Sky Redline w 3 pedals
GMPP upgrade, Magnaflo cat-back, Dejon IC & intake
264 rwhp

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
Re: Octane question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »
The GMPP upgrade needs a min. of 93 Oct. or higher. If you don't have a tune for racing gas. IMO your wasting your money. So the only harm is going to be to your wallet.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline Devoking

• Tech
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:12:27 AM »
Just an uneducated guess from me.

The ECM reacts to octane levels on a learning curve, Just dumpming in race gas prior to a race sould be a waste.
Running a high octane gas long enough for the ECM to learn it will not be good for your engine.
I say don't do it.

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 12:46:10 PM »
 :agree: :agree:
I think you're asking for problems. By the time the learning curve was up to par you would have to either continue with racing gas all the time or drop it back down. 93 Octane should be sufficient unless you're looking for a pure racer and nothing else.  :2c:

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:33:53 AM »
I am not sure on the GMPP but the stock tune can benefit by increasing to 95-98 octane maybe more with a GMPP kit. I would not run straight race gas but 50/50 and at least 50 miles before you run the 1/4 maybe of some benefit. Remember don't run with a full tank adds a lot of weight. Our stock ECM's run with a bit of retard all the time so the extra octane may allow a bit more advance without knock, if you look at dyno sheet after the engine gets into boost you can see it retard the timing as boost increases. The 1/4 is one of the few places this will add benefit if done right. On the street you are just wasting money.

It won't make you go blind
Your face won't freeze that way
You won't be stuck using race gas all the time
It won't hurt your car, unless you put in leaded, a lot of race gas is leaded.
You will want to run it all the time, the car will like it.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »
Also race gas is more than likely LEADED which is bad for the O2 sensors and is also bad for the cats ifyou have them.

lil goat

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 10:48:25 AM »
I said  that, and 104 is usually unleaded it is the 110 that is almost always leaded BUT BE SURE AND CHECK.

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 01:17:10 PM »
Where I live anything over 100 is Leaded and I live 5 miles from a NHRA race track.  Oh the woes of living in a town of only 125K.