Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Anyone here who did some laps with an air cooled porsche 911 ?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Acadian

• Founding Member
  • Tech
Just wondering how those air cooled 911 (1985-1988) compare to our beloved solstice.

Facts are that i own a supercharged base solstice and i also love thoses old 911 (but never driven one). the point i am trying to make here is that it is a royal pain in the ass to lap my car around here with requirements for roll bars,broomstick test, +being a member of a club (porsche or bmw)is required around  here to attend track days at the better race track.

although ddmworks and other vendors makes great parts for our cars, the aftermarket parts available for the porsche enthusiast does not compare at all as it is so huge, easy to obtain bolt on roll bars in different models from different vendors, lots and lots of big brakes kit. another + when you look at a modded porsche, it almost always look like normal and factory looking (even with race seats,roll bars loud exhaust)and thus seems easier to sell when the times come compared to a modded solstice.

thoses old 911  does not seem to depreciate much nowadays due to old age compared to our roadsters. they even seems to appreciate in value for the last couple of years... ???

All in all, just wondering out loud if i should just sell the car and buy an air cooled 911. i love my supercharged solstice and i am not into the autocross stuff but man , i so wanna  do laps regularly at an amazing track round here.

i am torn between those options. the hp to weight ratio are similar, both are excellent track performer...

so if anyone here has driven one and can comments on the pros and cons, your welcome to chime in
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:22:48 PM by Acadian »
Lightweight with no options 2006 stripper ! with added
GXP Z0K SPRINGS, FE3 Bilsteins shocks
GXP Z0K front ant rear sway bar
DDMWORKS stage 2 Eaton supercharger with intercooler
DDMWORKS hi-flow converter and long tube headers.

lil goat

Re: Anyone here who did some laps with an air cooled porsche 911 ?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 09:01:10 AM »
Those old 911'a are very hard to drive well, the back tends to break loose without a lot of warning, never driven one on a track but worked at a dealership as a kid, heard and saw a lot of horror stories. For what you want to do there are better options than the 911, like a C-5 Vette, the Z06's are under $20,000 now for the older ones.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
yeah i'm thinking of getting a C5 vette. i don't know the main differences between the base C5, the z51 and the z06, but if it is just suspension and more power i would probably get a base since i would end up changing the suspension anyway.
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline Acadian

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 06:32:37 PM »
 if i was looking at a c5 vette i would at least go for a z51 equipped one.

problem is i like small sports car with direct feedback to the driver, the vette IMHO is too big, too large and not as nervous as i would prefer, a lotus exige on the other hand is way to small .

looking for something in the middle. the solstice is fine for me , but to have a proper roll bar that is high enough to pass the broomstick test is impossible unless going for the full scca chop job...
Lightweight with no options 2006 stripper ! with added
GXP Z0K SPRINGS, FE3 Bilsteins shocks
GXP Z0K front ant rear sway bar
DDMWORKS stage 2 Eaton supercharger with intercooler
DDMWORKS hi-flow converter and long tube headers.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 06:52:51 PM »
Supposedly, for some applications you don't have to pass the broomstick test to be SCCA legal.

http://KappaPerformance.com/index.php?topic=2177.msg24865#msg24865

Of course, if the broomstick test is a local law or something that's not going to help at all.

If I were to get an old Porsche, I'd go with the Porsche 944 turbo. Numbers are pretty similar to a Kappa, just lacks some power.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.