Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Racing: Opel GT vs Audi S3  (Read 3703 times)

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Racing: Opel GT vs Audi S3
« on: August 24, 2009, 05:58:29 PM »
i suppose you all know Audi S3. 2.0L turbo engine, 265hp, hatchback, 4WD.
a friend of mine just bought one and we were both interested in finding out which is faster in a typical (illegal street) race at a straight line starting from 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th gear.
so, the sun went down and we chose the most safe road in Greece for this kind of "drag".
i was expecting Opel GT to be faster at 3rd and 4th gear and losing at 5th gear (S3 has 6 gears).
rolling on 4th, around 3000rpm on Opel GT, 3 beeps and off we go!!!!....S3 was faster, hell, much faster...
4th gear 4000rpm (i found out later S3 had 5200rpm at the same speed) Opel GT was doing better meaning we were at the same point, S3 shifted to 5th, while i still had around 1500rpm to go with 4th and i saw the Audi getting faster and faster ahead of me.
5th gear 2500rpm, 3 beeps, off we go, S3 was accelerating much much faster ahead of me.
3rd gear 4000rpm, WOT again, power was there and the 2 cars at the same speed, but as the rpm were augmenting S3 was accelarating faster, changed faster to 4th gear and was well ahead of me...
2nd gear 4500rpm, Opel GT was just a bit ahead, shifted to 3rd and S3 began to accelerate much faster...

so, in conclusion, Audi S3 is a very fast car, powerfull engine, excellent gearbox...lots of power even from 2000rpm and huge torque available even at lower rpms...

honestly i was kinda dissapointed but then again, i looked my Opel GT from a distance and i loved it s silhouette.
pls note that i do not have a tune (my only engine mod is a K&N filter for the moment, Audi S3 had no tuning at all)

next time i see an Audi S3 trying to bug me for a race, i will probably just go fishing... :fishing:
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
Re: Racing: Opel GT vs Audi S3
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
Next time start in 1st around 2500 rpm and see what happens.  Difference in the gearbox gives the advantage to the Audi
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline sunnygator

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 06:11:36 PM »
a friend of mine just bought one and we were both interested in finding out which is faster in a typical (illegal street) race

The published 0-60 time for the S3 is 5.7 secs, which shouldn't beat the GT.....and the price is quite a bit higher too, correct?

I wonder if the gearing/rpms chosen happened to favor the Audi?  Regardless, both are fast cars, and the GT sure looks a lot better than the S3 IMHO.....

sunnygator

Cool Solstice with GMPP Kit, Heated Seats, Painted Calipers, K&N Filter, T-bolts & new Throttle Body Pipe

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »
Sunnygator, i am certainly not an expert in drag racing (i love cornering more) and it was me that chose all the rpms and gearing/rpms, just to check the car.
i hate to say that, but i tried more combinations than those i wrote above. Unfortunately the Audi was surely faster. the turbo gives more power at lower rpms and keeps on working until high rpms. I love my Opel and i wouldn t change it for an S3, but i have to admit what is real (i hate lying or saying half the truth). we didn t race from 0-60, as there was no opportunity to do so. 0-60 depends greatly on the driver too, i only wanted to check the cars.
hell, i think i have to go for a tune...
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:27:33 PM »
Don't worry
For a couple thousand you can ensure your Opel wins, and still have at least $10k less invested.
 :thumbs:

One of my neighbors bought one of those.  I have to say, it's one of the nicer looking Audi's I've seen, but still looks too much like an upside tub for my taste. 

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 06:46:33 PM »
Great topic, I can share a lot.

In my car club is a S3 which I compare to: http://www.anonymous.ro/forum/showthread.php?t=47

First test:
Me - Wester's Race tune only
S3 - Milltek turbo back (stock ECU)
Racing rolling start 2nd gear - 60 km/h (40 mph), I was faster on second and third gear (more one car length) but the Audi was gaining back on high speeds over 160 km/h (100 mph)

Second test:
Me - Wester's Race tune only
S3 - Milltek turbo back and custom ECU tune
Racing rolling start 2nd gear - 60 km/h (40 mph) - I was half car length faster on second gear but on 3rd and 4th gear he won a car length between us up to 180 km/h (110 mph)

Third test:
Me - Solo catless downpipe + mach cat-back and Dejon IC, SS Wester Tune
S3 - Milltek turbo back and custom ECU tune (same configuration)
Racing rolling start 2nd gear - 60 km/h (40 mph) - On start he gained half hood at initial start (he was doing the start) and we were identical up to 220 km/h (136mph)

What I know from experience, WAG 2.0T engine are pulling extremely well on high speeds. S3 like Audi TT quattro has a awesome gear box among Haldex transmission and very performance diffs, if I can compare with it with only $2000 in my car and S3 investment was over $2500 means a lot.

About the look, I don't like hatches, that's why I don't went after a hot hatch, for me S3 looks same as bloody Audi A3 as Golf GTI looks almost same as an average VW Golf. Audi has only 2 nice models: TT and R8 all the others are usual looking models.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 06:55:58 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
Audi RS4 sedan vs. Sky Redline, 0-90. RS4 lost. It was close, but I was ahead by a nose the entire time.

The thing with Audis is that even though some of them should be faster, there are more than a few of with hotshot drivers whose bark is worse than their bite.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 03:32:33 AM »
Nice one Kelu. so our cars 4th and 5th gear are probably the weakest point. still S3 has lots of power...
Uranium, my race was just a straight line, so anyone can just push the medal to the metal. both cars no tune. rs4 is a very powerfull car. at your case i take it was a twisty road and i m pretty sure he had more money than driving skills and you certainly know how to drive your kappa to its  limits. it is a very nice feeling to overtake cars that cost more and have more hp!

as for the aesthetic part, it s just a personal matter.. i m just a fool for all kappas!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:41:20 AM by Arabas »
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 06:43:09 AM »
Nope, it was a straight line. Yes, it would seem he had far more money than skill. He'd been driving like a jerk, not letting me merge into his lane, tailgating, aggressive lane changes, the works. Managed to pull next to him at a stop light. The rest is history.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 06:46:59 AM »
Audi RS4 vs RL both stock, RS4 should smash our cars but seems you stumbled on a moron.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 07:11:41 AM »
seems you stumbled on a moron.
I think that would be an understatement. :cheers:
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:40 AM »
hahahaha!!!! Way to go Uranium 238!!
H&R springs
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake