Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Most Miles on Stock Tires  (Read 19257 times)

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
Re: Most Miles on Stock Tires
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 03:27:31 PM »

Speaking of burnouts and tires... have a boo at this, U.S burnout, EU burnout(this guy has balls) and one from Iraq   :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nv8HQ43-nU&NR=1

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Offline Hal 9000

• Tech
    • Kappa Krap
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 03:47:43 PM »
I got 30K out of my RSA's before I failed an inspection for too little tread.  I liked the tires until I drove in heavy rain.  Went with some of Rhys Millens Potenza RE-01R's and loved the grip, but only got 15K out of em.  I now have the Eagle F1-GS2's.  Can't believe they are still $ 102.00 each at tire rack.

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
I just got the call today that my KDWs have arrived. The stock F1s have a little over 28k on them. They are still ok dry, but kind of scary in the rain.  I'm gonna have to properly dispose of some of that old rubber before I get the new ones installed. :brnout: ;)
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 07:07:45 PM »
 Speaking of burnouts and tires... have a boo at this, U.S burnout, EU burnout(this guy has balls) and one from Iraq   :lol:
You know what is damn funny, the european burnout it is from Romania, exactly same city where I live, the capital - Bucharest.  :lol: You weren't expecting that, right?   :)
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Ben L

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 07:39:21 PM »
I may be in a grumpy mood, and this is just one opinion

But how could anyone be proud of the most miles of subpar performance on the crappy stock tires that came on our cars? 

Its kind of like bragging about how many times you made love to the fugliest girl on the planet.  Maybe it makes sense as a torture endurance test, for SERE training.

Here's a variation: 

Q:  How many miles did you go before not being able to stand it anymore and taking the damned things off? 

A:  3,752, and not soon enough.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 07:56:23 PM »
Good thing no one can see that Ben guys posts or they might get the idea that people don't think very highly of those craptacular Goodyear's that GM put on our rides.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 09:53:42 PM »
While there are grippier tires
The Good Year F1 GS2's have not been anywhere near bad enough for me to rush out to get new ones.
In fact, they have been pretty good all around tires and I normally hate Goodyear.
They really surprised me in the rain.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2009, 06:46:15 AM »
I may be in a grumpy mood, and this is just one opinion

But how could anyone be proud of the most miles of subpar performance on the crappy stock tires that came on our cars? 

Its kind of like bragging about how many times you made love to the fugliest girl on the planet.  Maybe it makes sense as a torture endurance test, for SERE training.

Here's a variation: 

Q:  How many miles did you go before not being able to stand it anymore and taking the damned things off? 

A:  3,752, and not soon enough.

Well, look at it this way: Those who get a ton of mileage off of the F1 GS-2's probably aren't driving the car hard enough to show the tires up for what they are.

I kept the stockers as long as I could, just because I wanted to get my money's worth out of them. Now that I have new tires, they're all stacked up in the garage, waiting for me to figure out what to do with them.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2009, 08:46:32 AM »
Not proud, just honest plus someone asked.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:18 AM »
I'm gonna disagree with you uranium.
I've driven mine plenty hard and have been autoXing them for almost 2 full seasons.
They stink for AutoX but I still find them pretty good for the street.
Especially the rain.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2009, 09:56:52 AM »
Since I have added my backbone, my opinion of the stock gs2s has gone way up for dry weather.  They still squeal more than I like but they hold pretty well. Makes a big difference with the backbone spreading the cornering forces around.  They are also decent against hydroplaning - I have had far worse and this is a light car.  But mechanical wet grip - they can be scary.  If I am careful, they are OK.  But they will just suddenly slide on wet roads like they were on grease. 

I have another car to drive this winter if need to.  It will give me a better idea of what tires I may want to replace these with in the future - summer or all-season.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Ben L

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2009, 09:58:46 AM »
I can believe that you are getting lots of miles on them.

I know from experience how bad they suck autocrossing.  

You may be driving them hard, but I'm guessing you are not going home with any podium finishes on them.

The question remains:  why?

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2009, 10:18:49 AM »
I'm gonna disagree with you uranium.
I've driven mine plenty hard and have been autoXing them for almost 2 full seasons.
They stink for AutoX but I still find them pretty good for the street.
Especially the rain.
I dunno, I had issues in the rain the first time I was out in it. :idk:

The F1-GS2 is an adequate tire. That's about the best that can be said for it though IMO.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15:31 AM »
That's what I've been saying.
IMHO it does not fall into the
"it sucks" category and they are way better than the RSAs
and at $92/tire right now
it is a good deal for what you get.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2009, 11:41:25 AM »
I can believe that you are getting lots of miles on them.

I know from experience how bad they suck autocrossing. 

You may be driving them hard, but I'm guessing you are not going home with any podium finishes on them.

The question remains:  why?

Your Argument Ben is kind of Pointless.  You can't be competitive in any AutoX Category with tires that can driven on the street.  If you aren't running R-Comps, you aren't going to be making any Podiums unless you happen to get a field of cars that includes 2 other people without R-Comps.

Since you can't drive R-Comps on the street, that line of argument doesn't help this discussion at all.
You still need to purchase Streetable tires.  And for the street, the GS-2 are good tires.
ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT SAYING THEY ARE THE BEST
but they are good and at $92/tire an excellent price for at least 70% of the Kappa owners out there who aren't trying to setup world records on their work commute or club cruises.

In answer to the Why question
that's simple.
Im not going to waste my time or money for 4-6 minutes a month of drive time trying to build a car to fit into some of the :censor: ing stupidest guidelines I have ever seen.
R-Comps being allowed in any class under Modified is asinine.

When my current tires wear out, I'll upgrade them with something that fits me.
It's wasting money until they are worn out.

Offline TecSolOnt

• Master Tech
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2009, 12:14:54 PM »

You know what is damn funny, the european burnout it is from Romania, exactly same city where I live, the capital - Bucharest.  :lol: You weren't expecting that, right?   :)

Ok Kelu so what were you doing on that day? :idk:

Given the guy is doing a burnout like the Nascar guys do after a race in the middle of traffic, well here in Canada if caught you can just  turn it off hand your keys and license to the cop.

DDM ST II Supercharged , DDM Pro Beam, DDM Backbone, Solo Performance Mach Exhaust, Norms Diffuser Valance, Kappa Windscreen, Sound Deadener

Ben L

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2009, 01:18:18 PM »
Couldn't agree more about how pointless SCCA classing rules are.

Maybe my comment about the podium was off base.

With the utmost respect for your point of view on the stock GXP tires' adequacy for even "fun running" autocross, mine is totally different.

Even when I was temporarily autoxing the GXP (in BSP, where Rs are the norm) I was having zero fun on the stock F1s. 

They were squirmy, unpredictable and the fronts would push like a :censor:  in cornering even at modest entry speeds.  No amount of futzing with air pressures would make them behave with anything close to acceptable sports car tire dynamics. 

After switching to the Dunlops, I was nowhere near competitive in BSP, but at least I would beat some of the field (even a couple, few BSP cars), and the car handled light years better.

But hey, if you are having fun on them, and think they are a good value for the money, more power to you.  There should be lots around when you wear those out.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2009, 01:57:46 PM »

Ok Kelu so what were you doing on that day? :idk:

Given the guy is doing a burnout like the Nascar guys do after a race in the middle of traffic, well here in Canada if caught you can just  turn it off hand your keys and license to the cop.
I don't like BMWs, other than keep them in my rear :)
You gave me an idea. I will make a post with real things about Romania in movies to be attractive. I bet you wanna see burnouts in front of cops, right?

Sorry for the Offtopic
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2009, 02:52:46 PM »
Couldn't agree more about how pointless SCCA classing rules are.

Maybe my comment about the podium was off base.

With the utmost respect for your point of view on the stock GXP tires' adequacy for even "fun running" autocross, mine is totally different.

Even when I was temporarily autoxing the GXP (in BSP, where Rs are the norm) I was having zero fun on the stock F1s. 

They were squirmy, unpredictable and the fronts would push like a :censor:  in cornering even at modest entry speeds.  No amount of futzing with air pressures would make them behave with anything close to acceptable sports car tire dynamics. 

After switching to the Dunlops, I was nowhere near competitive in BSP, but at least I would beat some of the field (even a couple, few BSP cars), and the car handled light years better.

But hey, if you are having fun on them, and think they are a good value for the money, more power to you.  There should be lots around when you wear those out.

If you look at my posts, I agreed with your AutoX assessment.  You detailed perfectly with how they handle, although I think I got slightly better results with 40 psi in them.  I was able to eliminate the pushing almost completely.
But
That's not the point I am making.

The point to phrase a different way, is that most Kappa drivers are not aggressive drivers. Even on this board, there are only a select few of us who are junkies.

For the people who aren't pushing the limits on a regular basis, why upgrade before the current tires wear out
and
when they do, why spend an extra $100 per tire for performance they won't need
Especially when there is a sub $100 tire that is probably perfect for their needs.

Now contrast that with my next choice of Tires.  When mine wear out, I will be getting either T1R's or R1R's and I am leaning towards the latter. 
For now, I am having fun messing around with the Goodyears, especially while drifting.

Offline BLK GXP

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Rollin'
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
I got my new tires installed today, but before I did I had to put some accelerated mileage on the old ones. Half the fun of getting new tires is wasting the old ones. I only got 28k out of them. maybe this is why.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i444.photobucket.com/remix/player.swf?videoURL=http%3A%2F%2Fvid444.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fqq164%2FBLK-GXP%2F04f65dcb.pbr&amp;hostname=stream444.photobucket.com">
Mysterious Lightside GXP. Driving like there's no tomorrow.

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2009, 06:35:42 PM »
I admire your tenacity. :D

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2012, 07:30:53 PM »
66k on my original GXP Tires so far. Trying to get enough tread off this summer to get new ones.

Why are you torturing yourself. The OEM tires fulfill ONE purpose -- keeping the rims from contacting the pavement. There are a squidzillion tires in our sizes that will transform the car. None will get the miles you did, but the Goodyear F1s are concrete.
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
66k on my original GXP Tires so far. Trying to get enough tread off this summer to get new ones.

You ae going to be some kind of happy when you replace those things!!! You are going to think you have a new car!
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline timlange3

• Master Tech
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2012, 09:26:55 AM »
I'm on my second set of Goodyear Eagle F1's.  They are just about worn out.  I'm getting 26,000 miles per set.  No complaints, only time I lost traction was going too fast in a S turn and hitting the brakes.  ESC saved my butt until I got off the brakes.  Deciding between Continental DW or Michelin Super Sports, probably the Super Sports.
Tim.

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 07:46:17 AM »

Thats how many Rotations ? or have you done the first one Yet.  Got rid of mine after 23,868 Miles No good in Wet Weather. OH and they don't do Trade-in .
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass