Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Any issues with the Solstice?  (Read 6898 times)

Offline Hyperion

• Founding Member
  • Apprentice/Gofer
  • Wife hopes to get a Sol GXP
Any issues with the Solstice?
« on: December 21, 2008, 10:55:34 PM »
My wife is VERY interested in getting a Solstice, likely a GXP (I talked her into it  :D) but I noticed in a Consumer Reports mag that reliability & other things scored low & I think I've heard about some issues with the differential.  Is anyone aware of issues, recalls, TSB's?  Do you have any gripes about the car?  I just don't want her biggest wish to end up her greatest regret.

Sorry if I've missed this info somewhere on the site.
'04 Saturn ION Red Line
B.Woody traction bars & solid motor/trans mounts
Powergrid sway bar links
Torque Forward strut brace
Subframe brace
B+G lowering springs
Magnaflow catback
Falken Ziex ZE912
Powerslot rotors & Dezod pads
Short-throw shifter
Sullivan Racing Products pedals
Catch can
Hidden antenna
REDLINEforums

Offline chuckdoc

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Any issues with the Solstice?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »
Oh my gosh!  Where to start.  Firstly the differential problems have seemingly been resolved on 2008 and 2009. Almost all 2007 's and 2006's need the recall done.  If done, I have not heard of any problems.

Lots of random little things but this is no different from any other car.  Things like door handles, cup holders (these will break easily), a couple of catalytic converters (but this is also true of all cars) and that is about it.

If you search any car for problems that is made in mass production you will find problems and will not ever buy anything.

For me, it has been a fun car with the only problems being a cam shaft actuator and a squeaky front end from needing a new bushing (TSB but I also have not had this done).  I only have heard of three others with this problem out of around 30,000 cars.  I have a sticking cup holder that I can get fixed under warranty but I never cared to fix it.  I have 32,000 miles on  the car and several long trips.

Hope this helps and I would buy the car again.  I really like the color wicked.  Just giving ya some ideas.

Chuck
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 11:13:18 PM by chuckdoc »
My KappaPerformance Mod Page
Pontiac builds excitement but Joe kicks it up a notch!  Bam!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2008, 11:27:57 PM »
I have a 2007 Solstice GXP, I had a leaky rear diff before the recall, since then the only issue I had was a squeaky front bushing when it was cold and the TSB took care of it.  I have almost 40k miles.  Love it.  The great thing is there are so many vendors now and many ways to customize the GXP. Get it, you won't regret it a bit.

Joe

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »
Most of the issues have been with the 2006 and the 2007 models and at that they were primarily issues with the rear axle pinion seal. If you were to get a new 2008 or 2009 you shouldn't expect to have any problems. I have a 2008 and I wouldn't change a thing. Just do it, you will have no regrets.  :thumbs:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »
I think you'll find a lot of satisfied owners here..though you may have the same problem as me ..wifes car ..after a few weeks you'll run out of excuses to borrow her car ..
Bacon :woohoo:

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 09:39:59 AM »
I have an 06 with 30k,  leaky diff, fixed with the recall, leak in the trunk, fixed, door handle, fixed.

I'm very satistied with it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Whip

• Global Moderator
  • Master Tech
  • Air Force Retired
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2008, 09:48:53 AM »
I have had absolutely no issues with my 2008 GXP.  Understand that it is only 10 1/2 months old with approximately 3,000 miles and only goes out of the garage if the weather is good, but I still have permagrin everytime I drive it.

2008 Brazen GXP, nicknamed FALCON because they fly at high speeds, change direction quickly, and dive at speeds that exceed 200 mph making them the fastest-moving creatures on earth.

MagnaFlow Cat Back Performance Exhaust
GMPP Stage II Tune
JPM custom console, seat belt loops, shifter & boot
Deepblue turn signal mod
Burl wood dash

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2008, 11:19:51 AM »
Had mine just over 2 years and had the rear end repaired under warranty (although no issues) and I do have a stuck cup holder.  Nothing drastic at all and that's with the BSR Tune and GM Performance Exhaust.  It just goes and is very fun on a nice warm day.  Although with -29 last night she's not leaving the garage anytime soon.
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline Geos GXP

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 03:07:36 PM »
I have a 2007 that is only allowed out of the garage on nice days. Had the rear differential seal fixed under recall but no other issues with the car other than I only get 6 months of use in this part of the world. Drove it into January ast year but had to put her away in November this year.
2007 Black GXP 5 Speed All options except OnStar

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2008, 03:49:23 PM »
I too have a 2007 GXP with over 42K miles (purchased 29 May 07) I can NOT recommend it more than to say I am at my daughter for Christmas and starting to into withdrawal after only 36 hours --- need to go for a drive and Cheers is 800 miles away.  The folks at CR have their heads up someones butt -- the trunk is too small (buy a truck), they are looking for a quiet, soft riding vehicle, with huge mileage numbers, that costs about $10 a year to maintain, is so safe you should never get out of it, and never goes into the shop except for normal service. Its called a bicycle...

Offline Hyperion

• Founding Member
  • Apprentice/Gofer
  • Wife hopes to get a Sol GXP
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2008, 07:34:34 PM »
Good to hear no one's having too much trouble.  Doesn't sound any worse than what I've gone through with my Ion.  I've noticed that some of you have mentioned a seat mod.  Any details there?
'04 Saturn ION Red Line
B.Woody traction bars & solid motor/trans mounts
Powergrid sway bar links
Torque Forward strut brace
Subframe brace
B+G lowering springs
Magnaflow catback
Falken Ziex ZE912
Powerslot rotors & Dezod pads
Short-throw shifter
Sullivan Racing Products pedals
Catch can
Hidden antenna
REDLINEforums

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
Sure,  JPM one of our vendors, came out with a mod to cure a sagging driver's seat.  Some of us weigh a little more than we should  :(
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »
I have an '06 Cool delivered 21March'06. It is a daily driver and my commute is 70 miles a day five days a week. I currently have over 75k on the car. The pinion seal recall was done, the cupholder broke but I cured that with a little thing I got at Wally-World, and I had to replace the thermostat. Tires, gas, and change the oil. Have taken several long trips in it the longest being over 4k in a west coast swing. I have never regretted buying this car and I'd do it again. That's my :2c:   :D
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline GXPsy Rose

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2008, 11:30:33 AM »
I have 2008, Brazen GXP, over 23,000 miles
No major issues (side cup holder is just starting have problems) and
hubby RARELY gets to drive my sol  :D
GXPsy Rose
2008 BRAZEN GXP w/GMPP tune
Ordered: June 1st 2007 & Delivered: July 20th, 2007

I LOVE MY CAR
NASSOA:  Founding Member #52

Go N.A.K.3.D..
"Life's too short not to drive a fun car"

Offline Zupf De

• Founding Member
  • Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 01:54:24 AM »
I had a 2006 NA and then traded up to GXP in 2007, its almost 2 years old now.  No issues except the dealer that I took the car to to do the rear end recall (Riverhead Buick Pontiac GMC) was a dumbass and didnt lift the car correctly and dented the bottom of my fenders. 

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 07:39:58 AM »
I created a list of my repairs in this section, so check it out and let me know if you have any questions.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 11:18:12 AM »
I had a 2006 NA and then traded up to GXP in 2007, its almost 2 years old now.  No issues except the dealer that I took the car to to do the rear end recall (Riverhead Buick Pontiac GMC) was a dumbass and didnt lift the car correctly and dented the bottom of my fenders. 

That looks like they didn't have the lift lowered all the way when they tried to push it under the car.  I've had my fenders dented twice by dealers.

lil goat

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2009, 06:41:04 PM »
I have had the same as everyone else on my 2007, except I have had 3 shocks go bad, front right and the left rear twice, they were replaced for free. I have read of several other people with the issue as well, and bet there are a lot of GXP's with the problem and people haven't noticed. I didn't notice it driving, but when I walked under the car at an oil change, it was funny I never could really feel any difference when any of them went bad, but the outsides were coated with oil.

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 11:06:53 PM »
Our 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP is now 2 years old and we have had no problems of any kind.  The rear pinion seal was replaced under warranty.  We have had several sports cars and this is by far the best.  I can only tell you that if you buy one, you will love to drive it. 
It is a fun Roadster! :drag:
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Ronzer

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2009, 10:18:53 AM »
What can I say. This a great car. Had an 08 Base model for a year & put over 14K miles on her. No problems. Have an 09 GXP now with 3500 miles on the clock. No real problems. Dead battery had to be replaced under warranty. Other than that, just great.  :thumbs:

If you buy one, be prepared for miles of smiles........... :D

Ron
"Wicked"
2009 Wicked GXP

"Life's too short to be serious"

Offline Critterman

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2009, 06:51:07 PM »
06 n/a that is slightly modified.   

Rear Seal replace twice
Rear replaced when the clutch packs went bad
Trunk leak
Passanger door wouldn't open from the inside
cup holder

DDM
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
ZOK suspension

JPM

Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 01:14:05 AM »
I have a 2008 GXP daily driver about 47 miles a day ,only problum  is stupid side cup holder not deep enough  N  sticks .Got Dec.20th 08 1985 miles troble Free .Now just lining up Mods to do
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

jrsno1fan

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 04:47:38 AM »
I have an 08 with 18K. The pinion seal recall was already done when I picked her up. The only thing I've had was a bad injector that the dealership said was due to bad gas. Fixed under warranty no problem. Now if only the weather could be fixed under warranty I'd be a happy girl!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 05:11:32 PM »
70 degrees here in Maryland, your request for the weather fix worked.