Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Engine Start Button??  (Read 21387 times)

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
Engine Start Button??
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:47:28 PM »
I installed an Engine start button on my Mustang and I've been thinking about doing the same for the Solstice.  The S2000 Engine start button would probably be a good choice since the chrome ring around the button would match the trim on our cars.  The obvious location would be the same place as the power outlet (cigaret lighter).   My only reservation is that there is no other power outlet in our cars.  An alternative might be to move the power outlet to the right side of the dash kick panel just in front of the cup holder.

To do this mod, I would need the wiring schematic for the ignition switch with the color codes for the wiring.  Does any one have the wiring diagrams for the ignition switch?  If not, I would need to probe the ignition wires.

If anyone is interested, this is the writeup I did for the Mustang.  Most of the procedure should be similar for the Solstice

http://www.cherod.com/mustang/HowTo/Start%20Button3.htm
My Solstice Web site and HowTo Articles

http://www.cherod.com/solstice

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
Re: Engine Start Button??
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:38 AM »
OK, I gotta ask... what's the point if you have to put the key in and turn it to unlock the steering column anyways??? :idk:
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:58:24 AM »
If you are to do it, this is the way, not a switch poser like on the mustang thread.  Make it a true keyless like this http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/03/nissan-toyota-l.html.  This is on my list to do but I don't have the funds right now.  I'm buying a new hard top and a set of wheels for the coupe.

Here is where you can buy one for your car

http://www.digitalguarddog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DGD&Product_Code=DGD-PBS&Category_Code=a20000

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
If you are to do it, this is the way, not a switch poser like on the mustang thread.  Make it a true keyless like this http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2008/03/nissan-toyota-l.html.  This is on my list to do but I don't have the funds right now.  I'm buying a new hard top and a set of wheels for the coupe.

Here is where you can buy one for your car

http://www.digitalguarddog.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DGD&Product_Code=DGD-PBS&Category_Code=a20000

I agree, this is the way to do it. I still wonder about the steering wheel lock...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »
Has anyone done this to a Solstice yet?  This would be one of the coolest mods ever!  It is risky, though, because your car won't start until you have it done right...a bit scary for a daily driver.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 12:01:18 PM »
 I was initially going to do this back in January.  I couldn't get my secret deal worked out...

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 01:27:52 PM »
The debate over the usefulness of the engine start button if you still need the key has raged on for years.  The truth is that it is just an inexpensive functional cosmetic mod.  Many cars with push button starts still require the key.

The digital guardog relay is a good alternative also but it is much more expensive (about 10 x the price).  Although it will start the car without the key, you will still need the key if you want to drive it.  This is because of the mechanical lock that disables the steering wheel when the key is removed. 

Offline KWhale

• Playing with my
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »
The debate over the usefulness of the engine start button if you still need the key has raged on for years.  The truth is that it is just an inexpensive functional cosmetic mod.

So, it would be sort of like the Windows Start Button...shiny and cool to look at, and actually will do something when pressed, but after about 5 uses, you're wondering why you would press it in the first place since there are easier ways to do the same things than using that darn button  :idk:

It really is a mod-to-own-taste preference though, so if having to have the key and press a start button is not going to annoy you over time, and the cool factor for you personally is high enough....DO IT!  Then post some pics  :)
The most Northern Senior Member on the map!!!
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?action=googlemap

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 06:46:29 PM »
The key stays in the steering column.  So this is the best route (even though it's 10x more than the poser errr  I mean Mustang solution.  The security RFID that is in you pocket enables the switch when you get in your car.

From the Gard Dawg Manual

Newer Vehicle (with a locking steering column or security “chip” keys)
As an ignition control system. Uses the Keyless Push Button Start to control all ignition
operation while leaving the existing locking steering column or manufacturer security key systems
in place.

Offline DickW

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 12:06:04 PM »
If the key stays in, then do you still get the alarm when you leave the door open?  How about the radio and accessories?
08 Cool Gxp, XM radio, Monsoon Package, 3M Clear bra. Vertical doors, Solo Mach and  3 inch Cat. GMPP turbo upgrade, DDM Race Backbone and Probeam

Offline Imaj

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 01:24:39 PM »
The debate over the usefulness of the engine start button if you still need the key has raged on for years.  The truth is that it is just an inexpensive functional cosmetic mod.  Many cars with push button starts still require the key.

The digital guardog relay is a good alternative also but it is much more expensive (about 10 x the price).  Although it will start the car without the key, you will still need the key if you want to drive it.  This is because of the mechanical lock that disables the steering wheel when the key is removed.  

This mod is 100% about the cool factor. I think it would be great just to see a red START button on the dash. I would love to see all my Lambo, BMW boys see the button and use it. :lol:

I will give it a try if someone can give me names and part numbers for everything that I will need.

Thanks!

Offline ImpalaSS407TT

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 02:09:02 PM »
Hey J, we tried, but they backed down... I guess we needed to make em an offer they couldnt refuse.

I was initially going to do this back in January.  I couldn't get my secret deal worked out...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:14:13 PM by ImpalaSS407TT »
2009.5 G8 GXP/(2011 Impala SS 1 0f 1) A6, Silver, Onyx & Red, Sunroof, 5% Tints, Custom Catless H Pipe CatBack with Flowmaster Super 40's, Wester's Garage Tune.

Alpine Amp:MRP-M500 & Alpine Sub Type R:SWR-1222D.

Holden/Chevy Impala SS conversion is almost done...

Turbo, Blower or Juice?!?!?!? We'll see...

2008 Nissan Armada LE: Loaded, Flowmaster Super 40's, Volant CAI, Timming Advance 3 Degrees.

1995 Chevy Impala SS 407 TwinTurbo. 1500BHP of pure Muscle by TBK Performance in Miami FL.
History:
2008 Solstice GXP Magnetic (Carbon Flash Metallic): **Sold*

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 02:44:26 PM »
ya, maybe asking for too much for too little.
Hey J, we tried, but they backed down... I guess we needed to make em an offer they couldnt refuse.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 08:51:28 PM »
I always kind of thought that it was odd that car manufacturers started to do this again.  My 1959 TR3A has a start button on it from the factory then again it also came from the factory with a manual starter in the boot too, you know a crank for when the Lucas electric starter called it a day.

At first your like this is kind of neat but eventually you think what a PIA to have to do two separate things to get it to start.

I would be more impressed if they had a voice activated starter instead of a button.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline odiaz

• Tech
  • Deep GXP
    • Cherod/solstice
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 10:06:10 PM »
So, does anybody have the schematic for the wiring diagram? 

The only part needed would be an S2000 starter button

Part number 35881-S2A-911 (can be ordered from HandA-Accessories.com for $33.14 + s/h)  and a connector from a 3.5" floppy drive.

This is what it looks like.

Offline JPM

• JPMCoachworks.com
  • Vendor
  • Master Tech
    • JPM Coach Works
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 10:58:11 AM »
Everybody always wants to be like me :D

BTW, this might be a stylish alternative to having a key in the ignition all the time: http://www.saturnstyling.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=129_24_25&products_id=228

Offline Triuser

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2009, 04:39:41 PM »
Having just gotten my Solstice..... finally.....  I won't be doing this for a little while.  But, if I were to do this,  I think I would attempt to cover the key slot with something.  Either make a new column cover, or maybe get some leather done.  There are modules to replicate the passkey signal that can be easily obtained from the aftermarket alarm sector.  Then I think that I would also try out this little mod from the following link, or something similar.  The only issue I haven't worked out is the steering wheel lock.......  Then add some side scrolling red lights up front and install an AI that would call me Michael.   :lol:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/tutorial_info.php?tutorials_id=135

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 03:24:58 PM »
Actually, there are some Skys running around with racer lights on them, like KITT. Mine is one of them.  :lol:

Offline U4EA

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 07:29:45 AM »
  I'm buying a new hard top and a set of wheels for the coupe.
A NEW HARD TOP? A new mod project?
2007 Mysterious GXP Hard Loaded (all factory options avail. in 2007)
Trifecta Tune, GMPP Tune, GMPP CAI, Gm splash guards, Magnaflow 3" catback, DDM Race Backbone, "A" pillar gauge pod, Kapparoo pouch, Lil' Chromies, Gorgeous mirror, JPM center console & center grab handle, Windrestrictor V2 etched & lighted, Carolina Custom Upholstery door pockets, Kappakrap T2 decals, Custom front license plate relocation, Latin Venom Cooler, Fitted luggage, MBRP intercooler pipes, heat shield.

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:21 PM »
A NEW HARD TOP? A new mod project?
no, :( a replacement for the coupe, the last one was dropped accidentally and cracked the fiberglass.  It costs more to repair than to replace the components.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 09:05:07 AM »
Hey Joe,
Do you have to replace the frame as well, or can you just get the lid and mount it to your existing frame?
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 10:01:59 AM »
The frame is glued to the top, they only sell it that way.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 10:17:11 AM »
Hmmmm, not sure if I like this
Quote from: Saturn Styling
IMPORTANT: Now your vehicle can be started quickly and easily upon entry to the vehicle, even for thieves.

Sounds like you either need to carry a key[or at least the chip] and a remote to get into the car
or a remote and a remote
So it's really just a visual mod.

Offline ImpalaSS407TT

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2009, 10:19:03 AM »
Joe, what the F%#$^$%^K when did this happened? I told u to stop trying to put'em on the glass...  :dancing:

no, :( a replacement for the coupe, the last one was dropped accidentally and cracked the fiberglass.  It costs more to repair than to replace the components.
2009.5 G8 GXP/(2011 Impala SS 1 0f 1) A6, Silver, Onyx & Red, Sunroof, 5% Tints, Custom Catless H Pipe CatBack with Flowmaster Super 40's, Wester's Garage Tune.

Alpine Amp:MRP-M500 & Alpine Sub Type R:SWR-1222D.

Holden/Chevy Impala SS conversion is almost done...

Turbo, Blower or Juice?!?!?!? We'll see...

2008 Nissan Armada LE: Loaded, Flowmaster Super 40's, Volant CAI, Timming Advance 3 Degrees.

1995 Chevy Impala SS 407 TwinTurbo. 1500BHP of pure Muscle by TBK Performance in Miami FL.
History:
2008 Solstice GXP Magnetic (Carbon Flash Metallic): **Sold*

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 10:24:37 AM »
Hmmmm, not sure if I like this
Sounds like you either need to carry a key[or at least the chip] and a remote to get into the car
or a remote and a remote
So it's really just a visual mod.

It works off a key fob RFID, just like in your key, it's not any easier to steal than any other car that uses a key chip.