Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Diagnosing a Metal-Metal clang/clunk/bang Symphony :RESOLVED  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Diagnosing a Metal-Metal clang/clunk/bang Symphony :RESOLVED
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:43 PM »
Here's hopin' that's what it is OSUCherokee.   :cheers:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline OSUCherokee

• Apprentice/Gofer
Re: Diagnosing a Metal-Metal clang/clunk/bang Symphony :RESOLVED
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 10:24:18 AM »
I think I may have figured out the noise, but I'll need to use my sawzall to test out my theory. I am thinking that when I cut the exhaust pipe to fit the new cat and headers; the pipes were too close together. I had to really maneauver them to get them to go together so I could use the clamp/wrap. I believe the two pipes are hitting each other causing the noise. So, we'll see!

:banghead: :gaah:  :(

Yeah that wasn't it. After I cut the pipe, and re-installed the clamp/wrap it created an exhaust leak. Sounded horrendous. Got some exhaust wrap with the aluminum; that didn't work. Then got Tiger Patch and that worked fine. Noise is definitely still there. I think it has to be the exhaust beating and banging around underneath. I checked all nuts and bolts under the car. Word to the wise... check your sway bar bolts. One of my front passenger side bolts on my ZOK bars was very loose. Scary considering I tracked and hit the twisties this summer. Need to make a mental note to check those every now and then.

I think there just isn't enough space between the HF cat and the floorboard, as well as the pipe and the backbone brace. Surely I'm not the first person to run into this problem... Car runs great, minus the normal 3k RPM hiccups. Need to clean the throttle body and MAF sensor soon.