Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: PoPs version of battery change out  (Read 8571 times)

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
PoPs version of battery change out
« on: August 30, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »
Well, on Friday at 91870 +/- miles the battery on PoPs car decided to die. Use to a battery would give you some warning but nowadays they just goes poof. Took Mrs. PoPs her cell phone which she had left at home and when I got back in the car it went click and nuttin'. Managed to jump it off and drive it home. Got out this am and tackled the change out. Went pretty well for a non-gear head. Only one bolt offers a challenge but it wasn't that bad.

Here's the starting point. There are seven black screws size 7mm. Three on the top of the fender and four on the wheel well.

In addition there are three 10mm screws. Two underneath and the challenging one behind the door.

I'm not a gearhead so don't have all the fancy schmancy tools so I took a piece of Scotch tape and made a loop and stuck it to the end of a 10mm socket on a six inch 3/8 extension. Seated the socket over the bolt head and removed. Worked well on removal and installation.

Once the fender skirt is off you need to remove the bracket. The holes on the bracket are oversized so I marked the location prior to taking it off. If'n you don't the bracket will slide out of it's originial position and it could mean some additional line up time later. The bracket is held in place with two 10mm screws and a 10mm washer nut on the front brace.

With the bracket out of the way all you need is a 10mm socket to loosen the battery terminals and a 13 mm socket to take the hold down bracket off.

This is what you're working towards.

New battery installed.

One thing to watch out for is on the install. Make sure the majority of the wheel liner is in front of the fender. There is a notch in the fender well liner.

Said and done.

Overall took 1 1/2 hrs and that included the trip to O'Riellys to get a new battery. If'n I can do it then it should be a piece of cake fer all y'all professionals.
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline SolNut

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: PoPs version of battery change out
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:07:39 PM »
Nicely done POPS!!!   :thumbs:

Steve
 :drag:

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:30:09 PM »
Great post Pops

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 06:04:55 PM »
 Pops very detailed job Hope I don't have to do mine for another 80,000miles also .

Well done

:urock:
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »
The Super Start is an 84 month battery. Hopefully I will have that amount of time until the next one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:16:08 PM by Popsintx »
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline DaveOC

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
  • Running Wisconsin
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
Nice job Pops, well done.
Aggressive #000741

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 07:41:37 PM »
Next time instead of tape you can use a magnet.  Unless its an aluminum fastener.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:34:07 AM »
Just used what I had on hand.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 05:59:03 PM »
Been there done that even had to use bubble gum once.  Whatever gets the job done.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »
Funny you should mention that.....I thought about using gum. Whatever works.

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »
It's kind of a pain to clean it out of the socket.  I recommend you barrow your neighbors socket, let him clean the gum out next time he uses it maybe he won't remember loaning it to you.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
Gum removal is simple. Put the gum-encrusted socket in the freezer, and let it sit for a while.

Or, if the socket has a sufficient deposit of grease and crud, it may well peel off with ease.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Chemist

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 11:29:35 PM »
Well done, Pops!

I dare say this may be in my not-too-distant future.
I'd rather be driving! :D

Offline spartan

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 01:30:01 PM »
I reviewed this thread this morning before installing an Optima red top 25 in my Redline.  It was quite helpful.  On the Redline you can wiggle out the battery without having to take off the frame, and as long as the battery is not much larger put the new one in.  It took me probably 45 mins, which seems ridiculous, but I'm no engineer so can't comment on how they could have placed the battery in a more accessible place.  One recommendation I have is to make sure as you are putting the fender back on to hold it forward enough when putting the screws back in, and be careful when opening or shutting the door in the process.  I noticed my fender was pinching and adjusted for it, but I'm sure somebody is going to damage their door and/or fender in doing this, just to change a battery. 

I took the OEM battery and put it in my 5 year old VUE.

Offline Red_Sol07

• Apprentice/Gofer
  • Little Red Devil
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 05:48:45 PM »
New guy here. I was looking for a post that I was told could be found on this site that shows how to replace the battery without removing the fender. I was told that someone was able to do it by ONLY removing the plastic wheel wells. I think this would be allot easier. Just removing the screws and pulling back the wheel wells far enough to slip the battery through. You would have to turn the wheels all the way to one side. Not sure if it would be to the left or right? Anyone ever try this? Again, I'm new to this site, but not to the KAPPAS.

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2010, 07:24:43 PM »
I replaced one of my wheel wells, a lot of screws/clips (over 10), still think the fender is the easier solution.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:23 PM »
New guy here. I was looking for a post that I was told could be found on this site that shows how to replace the battery without removing the fender. I was told that someone was able to do it by ONLY removing the plastic wheel wells. I think this would be allot easier. Just removing the screws and pulling back the wheel wells far enough to slip the battery through. You would have to turn the wheels all the way to one side. Not sure if it would be to the left or right? Anyone ever try this? Again, I'm new to this site, but not to the KAPPAS.

I think you'd actually have to pull the wheel to do this. I don't think you're "sneaking" it out...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2010, 10:43:49 PM »
Hello Youre going to have to remove the fasteners on the front edge of the fender anyway so removing the wheel and folding the wheelwell by bending it enough to get the battery doesnt seem that difficult, once you jack the car on stands and have the front tire off. Cant be that hard! Youre not completly removing the wheelwell, just moving the back half out of the way. That way you dont have to remove the fender and disturb the side skirt. Thanks Norm

Offline Red_Sol07

• Apprentice/Gofer
  • Little Red Devil
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2010, 12:18:37 PM »
Hello Youre going to have to remove the fasteners on the front edge of the fender anyway so removing the wheel and folding the wheelwell by bending it enough to get the battery doesnt seem that difficult, once you jack the car on stands and have the front tire off. Cant be that hard! Youre not completly removing the wheelwell, just moving the back half out of the way. That way you dont have to remove the fender and disturb the side skirt. Thanks Norm

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, just wanted to see if someone had tried to do it or not.

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »
I just read this thread and it was very helpful. :)
Ride it like you mean it.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:21 PM »
If they are jacking the front corner make sure they don't crush the fender.   :worms:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline EarthNTX

• Upgraded Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Oh yeah! Thanks to this forum, I've learned LOTS about that problem. Before I had my oil changed, I went to a shop nearer to me and he said not to worry that they were not going to cause any damage and they would use a regular lift. I said NO. Had it done elsewhere where they know about the solstice's lift points.

:)
Ride it like you mean it.