Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: booster on board  (Read 6030 times)

Offline boomster

• Apprentice/Gofer
booster on board
« on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:08 AM »
Hey,

Found this board through solsticeforum.com in a post.  I live in Frederick MD and just bought a 2007 Solstice on the day the plant closed in July  :(   I actually bought it from a Ford dealership and I think I got a good deal on it since they didn't list half the options that were actually on the car.  So I don't think they knew what they really had.  The car is fully loaded with everything but Onstar and I don't have the chrome rims, but the polished aluminum upgrade. Monsoon system and everything else is there.  It's an automatic but need that since I drive in the Washington DC area.

It's the Deep color NA model. Really enjoying the car so far. It has a few minor issues that I'm wondering about though. It has this weird smell sometimes (like axle fluid smell).  I have read about the recall but my car doesn't seem to leak at all or make any noises when I turn sharp at slow speeds. I know the car does have the limited slip differential. 

The only other issue I sometimes have is the A/C cools well sometimes, but then it almost stops cooling for a few seconds every now and then.  And oddly enough I really don't need the A/C button pressed to get super cold air. I just press the circulate button and turn it to any speed and it feels like the A/C is on (even though I didn't press the A/C button).

Other then that I'm really enjoying the car. Handles like it's on tracks and got the power I need. Especially when using 93 octane. I seem to feel more power with that and get better gas mileage too.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 12:16:13 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Me
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 11:53:06 AM »
The only other issue I sometimes have is the A/C cools well sometimes, but then it almost stops cooling for a few seconds every now and then.  And oddly enough I really don't need the A/C button pressed to get super cold air. I just press the circulate button and turn it to any speed and it feels like the A/C is on (even though I didn't press the A/C button).
I don't know about the NA models, but I know on my Redline the AC will cut out at WOT. As to the circulate button, once all the ductwork in the car is cool, it seems to stay cool for a very long time.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:15 PM »
Welcome!  I live in Scaggsville but my daughter's soccer takes me out to Frederick area often.  Probably will see you around. 

I have an 09 but am aware that the early years had problems with leaking diffs.  Lots of info on the boards about that.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:07:12 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I have a meet the second weekend in Oct at my place, see link in my signature.

Take a look at your rear diff underneath and see if there is dirt collecting on it. 

For your AC issue, check this thread http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=2664.0
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 03:47:12 PM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 01:17:11 PM »
Welcome boomster from an Opel GT (sister of your Solstice) from Europe.
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:11 PM »
 Welcome 
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Welcome boomster to Kappa Performance.  Great bunch of people right there in Maryland.  Hope you are able to attend some of their meets.  You will definately be rewarded because they know what they are talking about and I have heard that they like to have fun as well.  Enjoy your Deep Solstice.
Ron
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Chemist

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 05:58:48 PM »
IIRC, going "recirculate" turns the A/C compressor on. Will check my manual later and edit if necessary.
I'd rather be driving! :D

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 07:55:44 PM »
I don't know about the NA models, but I know on my Redline the AC will cut out at WOT. As to the circulate button, once all the ductwork in the car is cool, it seems to stay cool for a very long time.
NAs definitely cut out at WOT ... IIRC it is 'control' that provides more power to the engine by disengaging the A/C compressor.  Once you lift off the accelerator the compressor kicks back in.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 09:43:14 PM »
Welcome, Boomster!  I live right down the road from you in New Market.  I'd crawl under the car and take a look around the differential to look for signs of leakage anywhere.  Send me a PM if you'd like to come over and I can take a look if you don't have the means/tools.

Offline G8TR

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:58:07 PM »
Welcome to the best Kappa forum on the net!  :cheers:

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:59:13 PM »
Welcome   " Boomster "     :ghug:    to Only the Best Kappa Forum this side of anywhere you can think of.

:brnout:enjoy your Ride
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:30:21 AM by 1 LIL NDN »
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 10:48:10 PM »
You.

Welcome

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:58:37 PM »
Welcome!  You will really find useful information here, and the people are awesome!!
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline boomster

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 10:59:53 AM »
Thanks guys for all the tips and links.  Going to try to reset the AC unit and see if that changes anything.  If not, then I'm guessing it's just turning off for WOT.  It never stays off for long.

I think it's odd that with the circulate button pressed it turns on the A/C automatically even though the AC button isn't pressed.

I'll try to get a good look at the differential. Someone on solticeforum.com said it could be a vent that needs to be moved, unfortunately I don't have the thread open right now to link it.

Looks like a good group of people here. It's great that we are so passionate about these cars. You can tell they did something right to have this loyality ;)

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »
My '06 (I've had two - both Deep - nice color choice, by the way!) pushed some gear lube out the vent tube.  If that's where it's coming from, it's not such a big deal.  It'll be running down the back of the differential like in this picture:

The vent is on top of the pumpkin.  You can see it in the mirror here:

If you've lost fluid, the way you check the level is to pull out the fill plug and make sure the fluid level is even with the bottom thread when the car is sitting level:

I just switched my fluid to synthetic a few weeks ago in my GXP.  I must not have had it exactly level when I filled it up, though, because it pushed the excess fluid out the vent tube, too.  That's what the vent tube is there for, though.

Now, if you have a leak at the pinion seal (where the driveshaft goes in) then you have problems...  You'll know right away when you check it out because the grease will be slung all over the underbody and exhaust pipes foreward of the differential instead of running down the back of the case.  And as much as it would suck to see that, it's better than the alternative way of finding out you have a pinion seal leak...  ;)

Offline boomster

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 07:33:20 AM »
Just wanted to say thank you for the post with the pictures (it really helped since while I'm mechanically inclined I haven't worked on cars that much).  I was able to take a look at it and saw it had been pushing out gear fluid by the vent tube.  You have solved my issue and I no longer smell it  :)

It also explains why it happened and why the smell was less and less as I was driving it... the dealership lubed, changed oil, etc while I was signing the papers for it and from the wax job they gave it I'm guessing they rushed at it all.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 04:40:52 PM »
Good news!  Sounds like the vent worked as designed, and you should probably have no issues from here on...  [knocks on wood]

The ONLY thing I'd wonder about at this point is slip additive.  Does the sticker in your glove box have option code (RPO code) "G80" on it?  If so, you have a limited slip differential.  If they just topped off the fluid, it's no big deal, but if they changed it, be sure they put the slip additive back in with the fresh fluid.

Offline boomster

• Apprentice/Gofer
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 05:39:58 PM »
I do have the LSD.  Was curious when I got the car and went to find out what all the codes meant and saw I have it.

I'm gonna car the dealership to find out. I believe they may have topped things off only but I'm going to check.

I cleaned off the area and checked the amount that was in there. It still seemed a little high so I took a little bit more out. Haven't smelt it since then :)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
I think it's odd that with the circulate button pressed it turns on the A/C automatically even though the AC button isn't pressed.

Yes, that is normal in our cars, come to think of it, my G6 GT does the same thing.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 12:09:26 PM »
I believe most late model cars do exactly the same thing to keep condensation down.  My wife's civic even turns on the ac light when you push recirc.  My 01 Frontier doesn't turn on the AC light but turns the AC on as well.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia