Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: DDMWorks - LNF Intercooler Stock Replacement  (Read 3880 times)

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
DDMWorks - LNF Intercooler Stock Replacement
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:45:11 PM »
There was many of your that were interested in our Mach II setup but also wanted something a little more bolt in, so we created the DDMWorks Bolt in intercooler for all the LNF powered Kappa's.

DDMworks 2.0L LNF Solstice/Sky/Opel GT intercooler
The best intercooler we can design for the LNF Kappa platform. This intercooler uses Extruded Core Technology to help create an intercooler that flows well and cools the incoming charge efficiently. With higher boost levels more heat is created by the turbo and this unit helps to cool that charge back dwon close to ambient to keep the engine running safe and cool.

Working with own of the leaders in cooling technology we have developed the DDMWorks LNF Kappa Intercooler. This massive intercooler uses extruded core technology to help make an inercooler that is very efficient at cooling the air and with 16 tubes gives a low pressure loss across the intercooler. The extruded core technology on this intercooler also help to allow more air to pass through the intercooler than similar size intercoolers of the bar and plate design. Using computed aided design and CFM modeling shows that normal bar and plate designs can lose up to 1/3 of the area of the distance between the plates to air turbulence. The air comes in and hits the flat front of the intercooler and has to roll through the intercooler, creating a loss of surface contact, and a loss of cooling. The extruded core technology on our intercooler has a rounded front which helps to manage the air smoothly through the intercooler, allowing more cooling air to pass through the intercooler at similar pressures. The more cooling air that passes through the intercooler, the more heat that can be taken away from the intake charge, which makes the intercooler more efficient. Also unique to our intercooler is a proprietary fin design on the small folded fins found between the main tubes. This design creates small fins on the fins, creating more area for the incoming cool air to contact and take away heat. These fins are uniquely soldered to the main tubes with a high silver content solder to further aid in the heat transfer between the extruded tubes and the fins. All of this adds up to a great intercooler upgrade able to take the demands of all but the most extreme 750hp+ builds. installation can be done by most owners, as no special tools are required to change the intercooler. Some minor trimming is required for fitment, the DDMworks Intercooler bolts into stock location, using stock brackets.

The intercooler is $950, and is scheduled to be ready for the Maryland Mod Meet 6

Link to the product on our website:

http://www.ddmworks.com/solstice/engine/lnf_intercooler.html
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949
Tech Support - 864-907-6004

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Stage 3 Supercharged 2.4L - 314whp - 93 octane
Rotrex Supercharged 2.4L - 303whp - 93 octane
2871 Hybrid turbo 2.0L - 371whp - 93 octane

Offline kwtoxman

• Master Tech
Re: DDMWorks - LNF Intercooler Stock Replacement
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 10:26:22 PM »
I'd love to know the dimensions of the IC and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Great stuff DDM!
:ca2:

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:38:38 PM »
I'd love to know the dimensions of the IC and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Great stuff DDM!

The intercooler core is - 27" x 8" x 3.375", thanks for asking forgot to put that up!
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 05:28:50 AM »
Hi Dave, congrats on your new products!!! as i can see all kappa owners here respect your innovative products as much as i do!!
i ' ll contact you soon to get some for me poor greek guy, far away from your interesting mod meets!

pls allow me 2 questions as far as the IC is concerned:
1. i couldn t help noticing that the price is higher than other competitive products. can you pls inform me on this, as my technical knowledge is limited.
2. i work in the IT business, so my experience comes from CPU coolers. in cpu coolers the most efficient products are made from copper. would an IC made out of copper be more efficient, i mean lowering the temp even more with benefits to the performance. would the cost of such an intercooler be extremely high, especially in comparison to the extra benefits it would deliver?

Thx in advance
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB

lil goat

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 07:43:51 AM »
Looks really good Dave, and what scares me is I actually understand the science behind what you said. I know who makes this intercooler for DDM, per there specs and I will say they also make the intercoolers for many of the Pro Drift teams. They are without a doubt one of the best if not the best incoooler manufacturer's there is. I am quite sure this is well worth the price, unlike another other companies product who charges $400 extra because of the name. I already have an upgraded intercooler, but still want to replace it with this one.

Offline Dave@DDMworks

• Vendor
  • Gearhead
    • DDMworks
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 04:00:17 PM »
Hi Dave, congrats on your new products!!! as i can see all kappa owners here respect your innovative products as much as i do!!
i ' ll contact you soon to get some for me poor greek guy, far away from your interesting mod meets!

pls allow me 2 questions as far as the IC is concerned:
1. i couldn t help noticing that the price is higher than other competitive products. can you pls inform me on this, as my technical knowledge is limited.
2. i work in the IT business, so my experience comes from CPU coolers. in cpu coolers the most efficient products are made from copper. would an IC made out of copper be more efficient, i mean lowering the temp even more with benefits to the performance. would the cost of such an intercooler be extremely high, especially in comparison to the extra benefits it would deliver?

Thx in advance

First I will answer the question about the copper intercooler, you are right in that copper is an excellent conductor of heat and it would conduct better than aluminum, but unlike your CPU cooler, the intercooler on your car has to hold up to all of the elements and a constant barrage of flying objects coming at it from the road. Also the intercooler would cost approx 3 times as much in raw materials, and we are not talking about just a little bit of copper, actually quite a bit of copper to do the whole intercooler. That is why you do not see copper intercoolers though.

As for why our intercooler is more than most of the others (HAHN, DEJON) is that when we decided to make this intercooler we set out to make the best intercooler we could, and we knew that would mean that it would be one of the more expensive ones out there (although we were happy to be able to offer the intercooler for less than the RPI). However like the old saying goes:

Cheap - Fast - Reliable = You can only pick 2

With that in mind we worked with the same company that makes our intercooler for the supercharger kits and came up with the LNF intercooler that we offer now. At first glance, most people will not be able to see all of the little differences between ours and the other intercoolers out there, but there are a lot of little differences that really add up to the performance of this unit and also the cost of the unit.

In the first post, it explains a little more about the differences of our intercooler vs. the others. If you have any questions about the differences, let me know and I would be happy to explain them some more.

Thanks!
Dave
Dave Michel
DDMWorks
Sales - 864-438-4949

WWW.DDMworks.com
Dave@DDMWorks.com

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »
Dave, thx a lot for your answer!
i appreciate you taking the time to explain these things to me.
it s great to gain knowledge from the best! :thumbs:
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB