Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec Z1s Win Sportscar Magazine's Street Fighter Shootout  (Read 19787 times)

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
Re: Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec Z1s Win Sportscar Magazine's Street Fighter Shootout
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2009, 11:52:55 AM »
With the top down, yes!
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
Re: Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec Z1s Win Sportscar Magazine's Street Fighter Shootout
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2009, 12:33:52 PM »
They do, though usually not before my normal work day begins. Besides, a real snow like that is rare here. I drive to work well before sunup in the winter, so it's cold. Maybe not Washington cold, but cold.

I don't remember the exact temperature, but below something like 45F is too cold for summer tires to grip effectively.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
That's why I have all-season tires.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2009, 02:01:23 PM »
The canadian winter tires video clip said 5-7 degrees celsius is where all-season tires become too hard to adequately grip.  Between the celsius temps and the hockey puck vs sponge analogy, they lost me (as an American) :lol:

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2009, 02:31:08 PM »
So, you're telling me all season tires are not all season?
 :huh:

The stock summer tires had noticeably less grip in the cold, but they were still driveable. So, I'm not expecting issues with the Falkens. Really, I doubt i'd have many issues with Dunlops in the winter.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2009, 02:57:48 PM »
The canadian winter tires video clip said 5-7 degrees celsius is where all-season tires become too hard to adequately grip.  Between the celsius temps and the hockey puck vs sponge analogy, they lost me (as an American) :lol:

Right, so 45F is about 7C.

So, you're telling me all season tires are not all season?
 :huh:

The stock summer tires had noticeably less grip in the cold, but they were still driveable. So, I'm not expecting issues with the Falkens. Really, I doubt i'd have many issues with Dunlops in the winter.

Right. Watch the video... They are "compromise in all seasons".

Like I said, I had BRAND NEW Falkens last winter. Couldn't make it up the slight grade to my house. All of the enthusiasts drivers at work said if I had winter tires, I wouldn't have had an issue, and pointed me to this video.

There is NO WAY you should be running a summer tire in the winter. It's not safe and you're endangering yourself and others. Most people can "get away" with an all-season, but you have less control and they'll let go when you need it most.

I don't understand why so many people want to skimp out on the most important piece of safety equipment on your car. Tires are the only thing holding you to the road...
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec Z1s Win Sportscar Magazine's Street Fighter Shootou
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »
Maybe because we're sick of being fed BS info about tires? Like with dynos, it's not like there are any real standards set up to gauge a tire's performance. One company says one thing, another says the complete opposite.

Based on my experiences with the stock summer tires being used in the winter, I'm not worried about the Falkens. Even with single-digit temperatures they did fine, and I wasn't holding back. The were still far better than the all-weather tires my Civic had.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline LiquidPT

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • TechHead
    • LiquidPT's website
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2009, 05:33:37 PM »
Maybe because we're sick of being fed BS info about tires? Like with dynos, it's not like there are any real standards set up to gauge a tire's performance. One company says one thing, another says the complete opposite.

Based on my experiences with the stock summer tires being used in the winter, I'm not worried about the Falkens. Even with single-digit temperatures they did fine, and I wasn't holding back. The were still far better than the all-weather tires my Civic had.

True, there is a lot of variation within classes. OEM tires are usually not the best. But no rubber compound will perform excellently at that wide range of temperature conditions... and you've bought a high performance sports car, but choose to use a compromised tire. (The car I used em on was a PT Cruiser. I was going to get summer/winter tires, but knew I was going to buy the Sol Coupe, so figured the Falkens were good for a year) Doesn't make sense to me.
LiquidPT aka Matt
driving Black Sun

Offline Bosch

• Tech
« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2009, 07:43:25 PM »

Sorry dude you need if you do any kind of serious snow driving trust me, outfit it with winter rubber. We did the falken 912's last year the car sat for almost a week cause it couldn't get up the hill to the house. They fail when it gets around freezing. All it takes is that one day where you stuff it in a tree, another car or a snow drift.. Personally I would spend the 500-1000 on rubber than the couple grand you spend after an accident. Bodyshop time, rental costs, insurance increases, tickets and all that whatnot..

You spend 30grand at least on the car then refuse to outfit it with the gear it really needs to get through the harsh weather you put it through. Just like people who make a car fast or put big wheels on it but never upgrade the brakes.. You go fast you should stop fast and your tire has a lot to do with that.
LiquidPT has the Mysterious GXP Coupe, I drive the tool wagon the modded 03 PT GT Stage? yes its fast....

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2009, 07:51:12 PM »
Even with good tires and the optimal conditions for them you cannot and will not prevent an accident, as I proved earlier today Things like that only help. It's like with motorcycles, true safety is an illusion. You can be safer, but you'll never be safe.

I'll play things by ear, if the tires are that bad in the winter then once they're toast I'll go with straight-up summer and winter tires.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Bosch

• Tech
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2009, 08:02:19 PM »
Even with good tires and the optimal conditions for them you cannot and will not prevent an accident, as I proved earlier today Things like that only help. It's like with motorcycles, true safety is an illusion. You can be safer, but you'll never be safe.

I'll play things by ear, if the tires are that bad in the winter then once they're toast I'll go with straight-up summer and winter tires.

Sad you don't think your life or car is worth an extra set of tires.. No you can't prevent every accident but it would suck to be hit by someone like you.. Think of it the other way around. You have the winter rubber and you get nailed by someone who couldn't be bothered..
LiquidPT has the Mysterious GXP Coupe, I drive the tool wagon the modded 03 PT GT Stage? yes its fast....

Offline Treeman

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
Sad you don't think your life or car is worth an extra set of tires.. No you can't prevent every accident but it would suck to be hit by someone like you.. Think of it the other way around. You have the winter rubber and you get nailed by someone who couldn't be bothered..

You know - I think this is being a bit harsh.  First of all, the guy banged up his car today.  Give him a break!  Secondly, all seasons are all I have ever had in MD - they work just fine.  If I live in MI or the CO mountains it would be different.  And there are plenty of MD folks on this forum who say they have driven the summer tires in cold weather here.
2009 Aggressive GXP
DDM Race Backbone, ProBeam, Coil Cover, Alignment, and Oil Catch Can
Solo Mach Shorty Exhaust
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2009, 08:58:44 PM »
And frankly, with all the nuts on the roads here in MD my tires are probably the least of my concerns. :cheers:
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
Re: Dunlop Dirreza Star Spec Z1s Win Sportscar Magazine's Street Fighter Shootou
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2009, 09:11:21 PM »
I read an article in Car & Driver and wanted to share it with you. I am personally going to replace my stock tires with the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's due to the excellent wet/dry performance and the value. Their benchmark for this test was the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/09q2/tire_test_nine_affordable_summer_tires_take_on_the_michelin_ps2-comparison_tests
Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:28 PM »
It's like with motorcycles, true safety is an illusion. You can be safer, but you'll never be safe.
A truer statement hasn't never been uttered.
I always say, it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when you put a motorcycle down.
I can always tell when someone hasn't wrecked a motorcycle.
It's easy
They either don't wear a helmet, or they wear a brain bucket.

I went over the handlebars at 60mph.  I landed on my chin and was PROPERLY wearing a full face helmet and full leather.
The helmet was destroyed......BUT.... It held good enough and my face wasn't destroyed. 
Anyone with no helmet or a brain bucket would have died. 
That incident made me retire for 3 years from motorcycles. 

Due to my Sky, I recently sold my motocycle and this time I'm no going back.  In PA, with the other drivers, it's just too dangerous.

lil goat

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »
I drive in the DC area all winter long on the stock tires, same area as U-238, I have had no issue's and the Falken's are much better tires. They are not meant for snow, neither are the stock tires. I drive my truck when it snow's. I have summer tires very good one's Bridgestone RE-01's and they suck below 45. I can drive them but I don't want to. I will change very soon. ANY tire is a compromise, and is best chosen for where you drive.

Ben L

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2009, 07:11:06 AM »

I know U-235 as a good driver and a person who thinks and studies a lot before he makes a decision.  If you listened to what he said you'd understand why he won't be a hazard to anyone in the snow and ice:  He doesn't drive the Sky in those conditions.

Accidents can happen to anyone, regardless of what tires they are on.  I don't know what motivated this cheap shot, but its out of line, so lighten up, Ms. Holier-than-Thou.

Ben L

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
I've read that the Direzza Star Spec is noisy, particularly after the first few thousand miles.  I'm trying to decide whether to care about that.  For those of you who have these tires, is this the kind of noise that would only be annoying if you drove a luxury car?  With the top down in our cars it's difficult to hear the radio at freeway speeds, much less the tires.  Are a couple of decibels of tire noise a big deal in our cars?

I am not the right person to ask.  My standards on in cabin noise are informed by the other cars I drive.  I have to wear earmuffs or a helmet in the Daytona.

With Dunlops, there is a little tire roar at freeway speeds.  Not particularly noticeable to me with the top up; what I hear is the Solo Mach Shorty exhaust, not the tires, and wind noise almost cancels it out with the top down.  Given the level of dry-performance, its not even a factor as far as I am concerned.

Offline RufusMacblorf

• Tech
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2009, 07:27:04 AM »
I am not the right person to ask.  My standards on in cabin noise are informed by the other cars I drive.  I have to wear earmuffs or a helmet in the Daytona.

With Dunlops, there is a little tire roar at freeway speeds.  Not particularly noticeable to me with the top up; what I hear is the Solo Mach Shorty exhaust, not the tires, and wind noise almost cancels it out with the top down.  Given the level of dry-performance, its not even a factor as far as I am concerned.

Thanks.  I've already ordered a set, so I'll learn first-hand pretty soon.

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2009, 09:07:41 AM »
I want you to know elff that I am in tears from the pain of restraining a wize reply to this statement!

It held good enough and my face wasn't destroyed.

But I have been there, done that, and still have the tshirt, because I was wearing leathers.

Okay, back to tires,  I don't have a winter set for the Solstice, instead I have a 4x4 I use  :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

lil goat

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:53 AM »
Dunlop is owned by Goodyear and Sumitomo, if the Dunlops were made in the US or Europe GoodYear made them, if in Japan or Asia Sumitomo made them. The Hankook's are partially owned by Michelin, so they are all intermingled.

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
After doing further research on this and seeing loads of positve reviews on the Star Specs
Having previously used Dunlops on my Mercedes and thinking they were great tires
and taking into account BenL's awesome racecar and His passion for the Dunlops,
I ordered a set of Star Specs today they will be installed tomorrow.

I was also amazed that they are not too expensive for the stock size. 

I'll post a review after the National's AutoX

Offline Ben L

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
I think you will not be disappointed. 

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
I got them too and so far are awesome. Feel great in the rain
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

Offline elff

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
I'm trying to decide if I want to do a Free AutoX this weekend on the dime of a Local Mini Dealership and drive their cars
or
break these bad boys in and pay $80
Decisions Decisions.

I'm actually giddy over these, I hit some powerslides with the stock rubber that almost got hairy.  Definitely need something stickier.