Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Airbag bypass, anyone?  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Airbag bypass, anyone?
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:28:57 PM »
After four years of trouble with the passenger seat airbag sensor not recognizing my 105 lb. wife, I'm ready to take action...but, I need help.

What I envision is a bypass of the sensor with an on/off switch hard wired into the circuit.  What I need is a wiring diagram of the seat , or a picture of the sensor

and related wiring.

I know, I know..."why don't you feed her once in a while", etc....Won't help  :gaah: ...got to put in a switch.   Any help would be appreciated.
Deep, Ebony, Loaded...VIN 2124

DDM Supercharger #6 Stage II Intercooled
Magnaflow Dual Cat-back ... Valentine 1
FE3 sway bar ... Car. Cust. Rests and Pockets
Norm's Dual Rear Fascia ... Visor Decals
Walnut Burl Dash ... Dual Horns
Recessed Grills ... Debadged
Boost & A/F gauges ... KappaShield
DDM Pro-Beam and back brace
Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Listen to 'er why-ee-eye-ine..

Offline Carbon Sky

• Master Tech
Re: Airbag bypass, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:33:42 PM »
By any chance, have you asked your dealership to look into this?  I'm just worried about liability issues should there ever be an accident and your insurance tries to weasel their way out of covering you for whatever might be related to your modification.

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 04:20:18 PM »
By any chance, have you asked your dealership to look into this?  I'm just worried about liability issues should there ever be an accident and your insurance tries to weasel their way out of covering you for whatever might be related to your modification.

For obvious reasons my dealer will not "tamper" w/the airbag system.

My understanding is that the pass. airbag is always OFF until and unless the seat sensors detect a "properly seated" person

who matches at least the "fifth percentile" weight category (WHO data from the 1950s 0r '60s).

So, if the airbag is normally OFF, what I am looking for is a way to activate the sensors by "giving" them the resistance they

normally rely on weight to produce.

I won't be disabling anything...just enabling with certainty.

Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »
I have this problem with my wife who is 120 lbs. I know that some people that use aftermarket seats roll up the sensing pad that is in the seat bottom under the cover and tie it with zip ties so it is always on and put it under the seat somewhere.

At least then it'll always be on.

That however could raise other issues if you have small children in the seat or you sell the car in the future. I think I would be raising this issue with your dealer and maybe the the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if it can't be resolved.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:59:08 PM by Sly Bob »
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline Jackknife

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »
OK...been doing some research.  A guy on a BMW forum devised a "simple" device which "fools" the sensors by simulating passenger occupancy above the

weight threshold.  Nothing like that exists for Kappas.  And I'm no electrical engineer.

But, apparently that's what is needed.  It also needs to be easily unplug-able so the airbag is off for underweight passengers.

Solo Hi-Flo Cat

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:19:37 PM »
My understanding the sensor is located in the back of the bottom of the seat.  Talk to JPM and see if there is a way to move the sensor forward.  It should go on at 110.  Maybe you just need to press her back into the seat a little harder.  Use the supercharger :)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline Arabas

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 02:17:04 AM »
Hi Jackknife, i have the same issue with my 100lb fiancee. i went to the dealer several times, we found out this is not a problem and it occurs from time to time if the passenger is under 110lb.
the solution me and my fiancee found for ourselves is the following procedure.
she seats normally and if the ab does not recognise her, she puts her back against the top part (back) of the seat without the seat belt, then she seats at the really back part of the lower part seat pushing a little bit harder downwards (like increasing her weight). in adittion, she always seats with her bag on her laps and then she quickly buckles up. the ab is on and then leaves her bag down by her feet. this works for 99% of the cases. if it doesn t work, i turn off the engine and we try again. but as i said, reseating with an added pressure to the seat almost always solves the problem.
(sorry i don t know the terms in english. if something isn t clear, pls let me know so that i try to describe again)
DDM Works Backbone and probeam
H&R springs
SOLO HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Dejon Throttle Elbow
Dejon-AEM intake
Front Big Brake upgrade kit with Ferodo pads
Trifecta tune
Custom IC and pipes
LVKFCB