Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Your experiences with the DDM Pro-Beam?  (Read 12194 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
Re: Your experiences with the DDM Pro-Beam?
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2009, 10:50:04 AM »
BackBone Weights "I can't remember if it was Randy or Dave but they mentioned the stock was 5 lbs, the race version was 12 lbs (.378" thick) and the street version was 8 lbs (.250 thick)

Pro-beam:  Stock - 0, DDM - I believe it's about 3lbs.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 11:21:10 AM by DeepBlueGXP »

Offline 1KULSOL

• Founding Member
  • Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2009, 11:10:38 AM »
I can't remember if it was Randy or Dave but they mentioned the stock was 5 lbs, the race version was 12 lbs (.378" thick) and the street version was 8 lbs (.250 thick)
you are thinking of the backbone ... not the ProBeam  :D

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2009, 11:21:38 AM »
you are thinking of the backbone ... not the ProBeam  :D
Oops, corrected the post

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2009, 11:56:32 AM »
Actually the design was incorporated from talks with the GM engineers at one of the shows.  It is very simular to what is added to the ZOK (is that the right designation for the striped down race version of the Sol?)
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline RUTurbo

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »
Is this the GT exhaust.  The Pro Beam is installed.

Yup that's the GT thanks for the response, can't wait to do this and the back bone mod!
Keep Chopping!!!

lil goat

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2009, 07:23:04 PM »
From my talks with a friend and GM suspension engineer, he tells me that many of the suspension items were not done in order to keep costs down and also because this roadster they felt would be purchased mostly by those who would NOT be driving it in the manner that necessitated the extra 'stiffening'.  That is why you see the GMPP Suspension that was offered - they knew when this was brought to market what the car could and couldn't do on the track.  But, they also knew that many of the everyday drivers would not like nor appreciate the less than comfortable ride that extra stiffening provides.  While those of us who like to "drive hard" thru the twists and curves are willing to sacrifice some comfortably for better handling.

While that is exactly what I would expect an engineer to say, the backbone does not stiffen the car in the way that say stiffer springs or shocks would it fixes a design flaw, the car has a hinge in the middle from the factory, and you don't have to push it very hard to feel it, anyone can feel it just getting on an off ramp. It was a cost cutting measure pure and simple, and I understand that. I just wish Dave and the boys had figured it out sooner.

The Pro Beam does not decrease the ride quality either, it mainly helps reduce understeer another major weakness of the car.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
I think the ride has become even better with the backbone...that's just my opinion.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER