Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: 2 stroke oil in gas  (Read 20613 times)

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
Re: 2 stroke oil in gas
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »
I dunno, but I know many people swear by the stuff. We use it for just about everything on my dad's sailboat's engine. Fuel additive, oil additive, GP engine lubricant. I'm also told it makes for an excellent gun oil. (Along with Mobil 1.)
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

lil goat

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2009, 07:50:02 AM »
I have used Mystery Oil in the past never saw much advantage to it, it is just a light weight oil, I doubt it would hurt and it costs more than 2 cycle oil.  Never used it as gun oil, I can't imagine it would be all that great and I would never use Mobil 1 as gun oil way to heavy, well maybe on an old Colt 1911. I use Militec-1  for gun oil and in my engine. I was told to use Militec-1 by 3 different gunsmiths, one of whom works for Les Baer and is the production manager.
http://www.lesbaer.com/ Just in case you are curious as to who Les Baer is, his cheapest guns are over $2000 and all are hand made.

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »
I have used Mystery Oil in the past never saw much advantage to it, it is just a light weight oil, I doubt it would hurt and it costs more than 2 cycle oil.  Never used it as gun oil, I can't imagine it would be all that great and I would never use Mobil 1 as gun oil way to heavy, well maybe on an old Colt 1911. I use Militec-1  for gun oil and in my engine. I was told to use Militec-1 by 3 different gunsmiths, one of whom works for Les Baer and is the production manager.
http://www.lesbaer.com/ Just in case you are curious as to who Les Baer is, his cheapest guns are over $2000 and all are hand made.

Mobil 1 on a 1911? Not MY 1911 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bob Buxbaum
snaponbob AT comcast DOT net
2007 Redline, Revalved Konis, Crazy alignment
FE3 front and Z0K rear bars, owner installed pwr lock buttons
catless downpipe, SP custom exhaustWester's tune
racing springs and adjustable perches
DDM ProBeam & Tower brace, CCW 18x11 wheels for racing

lil goat

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »
Bob you ever shake a vintage 1911, ya know how they rattle cause they are so loose, a little Mobil 1 might help, but it's damn sure not going on any of my Kimbers, especially not the race gun, Gold Match II in .40 S&W, Ed Brown beavertail,  main spring and Mag well extension, Wilson Combat trigger and Hammer, reworked trigger for 2.5 lb pull all polished stainless custom rosewood grips, Wilson Combat mags. hmmm I think I need to go to the range next week been a while.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2009, 08:42:14 AM »
From a well-respected gun enthusiast, Father Frog:
http://frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

I've got one of those fancy german .45's, it sees hoppe's gun oil, though very sparingly. For my rifle, I won't take anything other than my Garand, which gets lubed with grease, in according to maintenance documentation from the time. All other surfaces get a light coat of oil to guard against rust.

I'm intrigued by the militec stuff, but not sure how much it would help me. The USP Compact already has a anti-corrosion coating, and only a few select areas need oil for any reason. The Garand is 50 years old, and parkerized.

As for the old 1911's rattling, well, that's a part of why they were so reliable. Once people starting making them with tighter tolerances things got interesting...
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

lil goat

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2009, 09:13:00 AM »
I did a test with my very tight Kimber and Militec-1 just for fun cause 2 of the gunsmiths used to work at the range where I shot. I followed the directions on the Militec-1 bottle and lubed my 1911 with Militec-1 and warmed the gun with a heat gun to help it absorb. I then shot 1500 rounds over a week or so and never cleaned the gun or lubed it, I had one jam and that was the mag not the gun. When I cleaned it I wiped the crud out with a rag, no solvent and it was spotless. The best thing about Militec-1 is you put it on warm the gun up, you can even just leave it in your trunk on a warm day and the WIPE IT OFF. They send it to the sand box for free to the troops because there is no oil film on the weapon the very fine sand does not stick to it. This stuff was invented to lube chain saws, and check this it's made in Waldorf MD.

He uses all kinds of stuff to remove crud including the Mobil 1, since I started with the Militec-1 cleaning is easy, I rarely use solvent on anything except my M-1A and even with it not that often, crud just wipes off, and yes it is in the crankcase of the GXP, my truck and my Harley.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:18:04 AM by lil goat »

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2009, 10:54:28 AM »
Bob you ever shake a vintage 1911, ya know how they rattle cause they are so loose, a little Mobil 1 might help, but it's damn sure not going on any of my Kimbers, especially not the race gun, Gold Match II in .40 S&W, Ed Brown beavertail,  main spring and Mag well extension, Wilson Combat trigger and Hammer, reworked trigger for 2.5 lb pull all polished stainless custom rosewood grips, Wilson Combat mags. hmmm I think I need to go to the range next week been a while.

Jim, I own one. I soot it. I take it apart and clean it. Thick oil doesn't fix worn engines, and Mobil 1 is NOT gun oil. A 1911 can rattle like a bucket of hammer hears, but the barrel has to just be tight to the frame. Thick oil won't fix that. Is THIS going to debated?
Bob Buxbaum

Ben L

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »
This is way off topic and starting to take a bad turn.  Do not feed the bears.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2009, 11:05:19 AM »
Hey c'mon, engines and firearms are semi-related. Both have to function reliably in high-heat high-stress environments. Mechanically they are quite similar as well.

:lol:
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Ben L

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2009, 11:30:05 AM »
Fair enough, but an unmistakeable bellicose tone is starting to creep in. . . .  Just sayin'

lil goat

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
Jim, I own one. I soot it. I take it apart and clean it. Thick oil doesn't fix worn engines, and Mobil 1 is NOT gun oil. A 1911 can rattle like a bucket of hammer hears, but the barrel has to just be tight to the frame. Thick oil won't fix that. Is THIS going to debated?
Bob I know quite a bit about 1911's I have 4, and have shot competitively with one of them and it was joke. I would not use Mobil 1 on any gun, lighten up dude.

Ben you are sanctioning another Mod, that should not ever need to happen, that is what PM's are for, as far as being off topic, that happens all the time in almost every thread on this forum and heavy handed moderation won't help it.

Ben L

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 12:36:05 PM »
Not quite a sanction; just a little suggested course correction before things get out of hand.  

Hardly heavy handed.

And its not the topic drift that concerns me.  But thanks for the tip.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 12:55:01 PM by Ben L »

Offline snaponbob

• Gearhead
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2009, 06:11:39 PM »
Fair enough, but an unmistakeable bellicose tone is starting to creep in. . . .  Just sayin'

The very FIRST time I have seen "bellicose" used in ANY context on ANY forum. Is that the Sam Irwin coming out of you !!!  ;)
Bob Buxbaum

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2009, 09:02:12 PM »
I for one would never put 2 stroke oil in my gas.  One question, and I direct this to lil goat.  What tests has GM done on doing this, as pertains to the Kappa's?  Have you ever heard one bit of information leak from GM concerning this?  Am I missing something here?   I have read the thread.  Just want to know what and if GM has commented on this topic?
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Ben L

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2009, 09:31:20 PM »
The very FIRST time I have seen "bellicose" used in ANY context on ANY forum. Is that the Sam Irwin coming out of you !!!  ;)

It is such a wonderful, precise word.

Offline HAMMER DOWN

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 07:14:33 AM »
I for one would never put 2 stroke oil in my gas.  One question, and I direct this to lil goat.  What tests has GM done on doing this, as pertains to the Kappa's?  Have you ever heard one bit of information leak from GM concerning this?  Am I missing something here?   I have read the thread.  Just want to know what and if GM has commented on this topic?

Not goat ;) ,but just remember necessity is the mother of invention. And most breakthroughs are accidents. They was going for "this" ,but came up with "that". Then they go WOW look what we can do with "that".  :)

You don't need "LETTERS" after your name to came up with the next great "thing". You just need the prove that it works.

Mike
Here's to many rides with the top down, wind in your hair & the  hammer down.  :drag: :brnout: :drive:

Offline perris

• Master Tech
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 07:52:13 AM »
Not goat ;) ,but just remember necessity is the mother of invention. And most breakthroughs are accidents. They was going for "this" ,but came up with "that". Then they go WOW look what we can do with "that".  :)

You don't need "LETTERS" after your name to came up with the next great "thing". You just need the prove that it works.

Mike

I'm with my brother in law, he built himself a babbling brook but wanted more water

we were running an extra pump and water source to the brook and playing with the hose when it fell out of his hands and loged into one of the bushes above his man made brook

bing, a rain forest and his new invention was born

now whenever anyone comes over he tells them he thought of this rain forest himself

but now YOU know the REST of the story

lil goat

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2009, 01:22:09 PM »
I spoke with someone who is far more car savvy than I over the weekend, yes I was at the Mod Meet, and was told that he has an older car than ran poorly at idle, he added the 2 cycle oil and it smoothed right out.

Not sure why you would even ask what GM would say about this, who the F cares what they would say, I didn't ask them what they would say about anything else I have done to my car.

Just a clue, engineers try an make the best car they can, then the bean counters redo the entire car so it will be profitable. If the engineers had had there way the Solstice would have ended up costing $100,000 and been a hell of a car very few could afford, as it is it is a great car many can afford but damn sure isn't perfect.

Back on topic, the lubricity in gasoline has been removed to meet EPA specs the 2 cycle oil is adding that back with some detergent, basically you are making gas more like what it was when many of us were younger, it is not rocket science. It is pretty simple chemistry, as long as you don't pour in a quart there should be no ill effects, and even then it should not be a big deal.

Offline sol_man

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
  • Enjoying the cool summer
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2009, 07:18:24 AM »
 :agree:
We've done the same with lawn mowers for years.  The small amount of oil helps lubricate the top end and smooths things out.  I've used it in my cars in the past too.  When winter is approaching, rather than let it go bad in the garage, I put it in the car.
Sly with premium-auto-spoiler-pedals-onstar-xm-monsoon-crome wheels-a/c-headliner.
BSR Tune / GM Performance Exhaust / Xenon fog lights / K&N drop in / Debadged
Best 1/4 - 13.12 @ 102.6 / 60 foot 1.9 seconds
0-60 in 4.37 seconds

Offline spider

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2010, 04:36:42 PM »
 Wow, I can't  fit a lawnmower in my solstice. Nice thread guys. 

Offline Brazen17

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #70 on: November 30, 2010, 03:56:15 PM »
Anybody still doing this?   :worms:   :idk:
08 Brazen GXP.  GMPP tune + new IC!, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone and brace, rear Z0K sway bar, Eiback springs, debadged (mostly) and dechromed(mostly), black door handles, Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110 on 19" MODA1 wheels, color matching boomerang.

Offline efbrodiesr

• Tech
« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »
Be careful what you use as top oil lubricant.  Not all two stroke oils are the same.  In a high performance engine, if your going to use two stroke oil, use a high grade special formula oil for high performance two stroke outboard engines.  There are also special top oils designed for mixing with gasoline for four stroke high performance engines.  Most people that I know use Marvel Mystery Oil as a top oil lubricant because it does not leave deposits in the combustion chamber and helps keeps the fuel system in good working order.  Years ago I used Bartol  while others used STP top oil lubricant.  Today, I use Marvel Mystery Oil to winterize my 305 Jasper boat engine along with gas stabilizer.
Ernie

Offline 1LILNDN

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Me and the Chief
« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2010, 12:21:57 AM »
I have been using Pensky 2 stroke in my 2008 solstice over a year. June 2009 and was mixing it 1 oz to 5 Gal. Sunoco 93 or 94 if i could find it. I lost track of the mileage but was getting around 32 MPG. Exhaust tips went from Black to Gray. I started using Texeco and then Gulf and I think the fuel makes a differance also.
Mods
GMPPTune, seat belt loops, Magnaflow Exhaust, Turn signal Mod, K/N CAI, Sprint Booster, , Driveshaft tunnel Plate, New Wheels, 3rd lite cover-up, Painted Calibers & Decals, Cooler/Travel bag, ProBeam, Custom FuseBoxCover, Sound Deadening, PeddleCovers, Hidden license bracket, Center Console, DDM Tbolt clamp&IC pipes, WindRestrictor & Lightbar, WestersRaceTune, Hood & Trunk Lighting, "A" pillar & Gauges,HoosierGXP interrior lights,StunnerTag and Directional Mirrors,Hood&Body Graphics(Chief Pontiac) by Jack of Arts,dimming mirror w/temp&compass

Offline redlinedude

• Master Tech
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 09:50:31 PM »
I was wondering if anyone that has tried the 2 stroke oil in their gas have any updates or issues?
Drove My Redline home top down on 12/12/06
In 60 Degree weather In Akron, Ohio !!
Silver Pearl / Black Leather
5 Speed
Limited-Slip Differential
Chrome Wheels
6-Disc CD Monsoon
Stubby B Antenna
JPM Leather Console
Enjoying another cancer free day !!

Offline tazz

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
Don't know but I would not do it in a Forced induction vehicle.  A naturally aspirated vehicle yes but turbo or supercharged vehicle NO.  Think I asked Wester about this when this thread surfaced and he said something that it raised the chances of detonation because of the oil in the fuel all be it a very small amount of oil and the high compression these engines run.