Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: How did the Kappa Performance Forum get started?  (Read 16627 times)

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
How did the Kappa Performance Forum get started?
« on: December 23, 2008, 10:39:29 PM »
You may have wondered how this forum came into existence.    I was a member of another forum (some of you know which one, I will not mention the name here, no one else either please.) and I was at the point of total disappointment on the support provided by the admin/owner or lets say, the lack there of...   It was becoming a lost cause.  I didn't enjoy the forum anymore as I was spending 3-4 hours a day tracking users.  During that time I had shared several PMs with key forum moderators/owners on a few other forums. 

November 2008

Based on their recommendations, I decided to setup my own site.  I spent about a week researching forum software and domain hosting.  Forums like Simple Machines Forum (SMF) software require SQL & PHP and a Linux Operating System server to host the site.  Since it is open-source software, there are tons of user created features available.   

December 11, 2008.   

I purchased several domains, (6 total) and a Linux host contract, that all redirect to and set the www.kappaperformance.com as the key site.  Since this was my first forum I've ever created.  It was a large learning curve.  What accelerated the site development is I knew what I wanted in a forum and had a vested interest in it. (hence the problem with admins that are profit makers, not car enthusiasts)  But, I didn't want another basic car forum.  My mission was to develop something different that supported all the cars built on the Kappa Frame.  Since we didn't have a dedicated performance forum, that became my key design feature.

December 12/13, 2008.  Kappa Performance Forum was born.  :woohoo: :woohoo:

I invited/drafted of a couple of experienced and reputable names in the Kappa Community to help design it.  The basic setup of the forum took another day or so and then sent invites to a few friends for functionality testing and leadership.    Once we were up and running with new leadership and about 10 users.   We started incorporating features that didn't exist on the "other" forums and features that were familiar to everyone.   More testing.  Wish List created.

December 18, 2008  Coming along fine.  :woohoo:

All the main boards were finished and we started a test site to experiment on the last final major upgrades since there were about 60 members on the board. 

December 20/21, 2008 New face lift to support vendors and Google adds

Fixed a couple of bugs in the theme :huh: and now we have a supporting members/vendor section among other features.

December 22, 2008

We started accepting supporting members and we have grown to over 80 members.  Only the first 100 have exclusive permissions and access to a Founding Members Board.  After a few days and the word of mouth plus a few obscure posts on other forums, we have grown to almost 100 members.  We are now ready for prime time announcement of the forum. 

I want to personally thank Aspenrose, MomsSol for the backroom development.  GXPinKC, Sly Bob, Spiky3480 and KYGXP for volunteering to moderate this fantastic community.  And all the new members and your suggestions.  Without you all, the forum wouldn't be what it is.   :thumbs: :woohoo: :thumbs:

Thanks
Joe

Kuddos to all!!! :thumbs:

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:59:34 PM
Subject: Starting a new forum

Hello,
I have a question I hope you might be able to help me with, since the KappaPerformance.com is a new forum. I am VERY active on a MonteCarlo forum that has SERIOUS technical difficulties, and is falling apart because of this and total lack of administration. Only one active moderator. Been 6 months since the one and only administrator has logged in.

SO, what does it take to start a new forum, such as the KappaPerformance forum? I am TOTALLY impressed with what has been done with this forum in such little time. Keep up the GREAT work!
Sincerely, and Merry Christmas,
Signed
XXXX
I left the email anonymous unless they want to declare themselves on this thread and I hope this answered your question, if not PM me.

Offline Fred

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
Re: How did the Kappa Performance Forum get started?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 10:43:19 PM »
All I got to say is :thumbs:
Pops' car is Cool, Black Leather. Everything but Onstar and pretty much stock. VIN 12228.

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 10:46:05 PM »
Thanks to Joe and others for their hard work..
Bacon in Canada :woohoo:

Offline Sol Asylum

• Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • THAT'S MISTER KAPPA ASSYLUM TO YOU!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
This is a top notch forum already.  You have done an outstanding job.  Thanks to everyone for all your hard work in making this happen.  I have a feeling that this forum will be alive a lot longer then that other one.  Like I said over there its the people that make a forum great.
2007 Aggressive GXP

Offline 2kwk4u

• not really THAT quick
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
    • '06 Solstice bits and pieces photo gallery
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 01:02:28 AM »
Way to go, Joe!  I've been hoping for this type of forum for a long time - but there's no way I would have pulled off starting my own.  It seems like we have a real core of like-minded gearheads.  Thanks for stepping up!

Offline Whip

• Global Moderator
  • Master Tech
  • Air Force Retired
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
With the leadership we have here at kappaperformance.com, this will become the best forum for our beloved kappa kars.  I'm thrilled to be a founding member, happy to see so many of the wonderful people I've met throughout the past year as members, and look forward to assisting any way I can to make this the premier forum for the Solstice/Sky/etc.

Joe, if you need another moderator or any other help, don't hesistate to let me know.  I'm happy to volunter my services.

Well done, my friend/s!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 09:04:18 AM by Whip »

2008 Brazen GXP, nicknamed FALCON because they fly at high speeds, change direction quickly, and dive at speeds that exceed 200 mph making them the fastest-moving creatures on earth.

MagnaFlow Cat Back Performance Exhaust
GMPP Stage II Tune
JPM custom console, seat belt loops, shifter & boot
Deepblue turn signal mod
Burl wood dash

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »
Thanks Joe for beginning from scratch this great forum.  You and your very expert facilitators must be commended on a stupendis job.  I salute you and yours for taking on such an ambitious undertaking.  The finished forum product will be tested with glee just as Christmas presents are opened on Christmas morning.  I have found, what makes a great forum, in part as well as whole are the members who are the life and blood of the forum.  Thanks for letting me in on the ground floor as a Global Moderator.  It will be a fun and consuming process of development for all of us. 

Most sincerely,
GXPinKC
Ron
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 09:44:59 AM »
I still think it should have been called "Joe's Garage"   :lol: :lol: Maybe we could call the DYI section that!  :huh:

Looks great so far, and just like your car I'm sure you will be constantly tinkering with it.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 01:26:33 PM »
Now that is a great idea Critterman :)

Offline SHEZOOMM

• Premium Member
  • Tech
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
What can I say that has not be already said...
We will be the best, We will be the best.....
Thanks Joe...

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 02:31:48 PM »
I still think it should have been called "Joe's Garage"   :lol: :lol: Maybe we could call the DYI section that!  :huh:

Looks great so far, and just like your car I'm sure you will be constantly tinkering with it.
I agree. Because Kappa technically includes the HHR.

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2008, 02:43:01 PM »
I agree. Because Kappa technically includes the HHR.

Kappa is the platform ... I think you might be confused with the Ecotech engine being the same.
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »
Joe

We've talked -- Here to help any way I can -- Already learning stuff!  :thumbs: Thanks also to MomsSol and Aspenrose -- they are a great tag team! :thumbs:  John is a smart man -- "DIY" SHOULD be "Joe's Garage"  :D

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2008, 03:21:52 PM »
It has been changed :D

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2008, 04:20:39 PM »
I do what I can
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline bluemangxp

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2008, 01:56:30 AM »
As a DIY nut ,I appreciate the tone that the forum has taken so far. I hope it continues.

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2008, 02:11:35 AM »
I love the fact that you changed the DIY to Joe's Garage...it adds a touch of you to the entire forum, and deservedly so!  It is already unique and full of useful information and good people.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Cheers

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2008, 05:18:49 PM »

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2008, 12:25:39 PM »
Kappa is the platform ... I think you might be confused with the Ecotech engine being the same.
No . . . it must be the Nomad built on the same platform. Anyway, don't like the name Kappa.

Offline Sly Bob

• Administrators
  • Shop Foreman
  • My new grandson
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
Kappa isn't the best of names is it Susan. It's a great name for this forum though 'cause it's better to call this place "KappaPerformance" than "Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky Redline and Opel GT Performance".

I don't know that there would be room across the top of the screen and can you imagine typing in the URL?   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just trying to do my part...

Mods: Lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with a Solo hi-flow cat!

Offline MomsSol

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2008, 02:42:25 PM »
Kappa isn't the best of names is it Susan. It's a great name for this forum though 'cause it's better to call this place "KappaPerformance" than "Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky Redline and Opel GT Performance".

I don't know that there would be room across the top of the screen and can you imagine typing in the URL?   :lol: :lol: :lol:
Could always make it an acronym SSGXPSSRLOGTPerformance.com or just SSOP.com .. oops left out the Daewoo ... SSODP.com
« Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 02:42:57 PM by MomsSol »
Just here to help a friend! :thumbs:
True Lady Gearhead :)
We'll Miss You PONTIAC! :cryin:

Offline Aspenrose

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2008, 02:57:51 PM »
No . . . it must be the Nomad built on the same platform. Anyway, don't like the name Kappa.

The second Nomad concept presented in 2004 was based on the GM Kappa platform, which never made it beyond that, CONCEPT.
Therefore, the Kappa platform was developed to provide the necessary structure for a two-seat, rear-wheel drive convertible. It features hydroformed rails and a tunnel structure similar to the Corvette architecture, and is designed for a short-long-arm suspension for the front and rear. It features rear wheel drive, longitudinal-mounted transmission and front-mid engine.

It has been stated by GM that the platform has only been designed to accommodate a single engine: the Ecotec Family II. It has also been stated by GM representatives that this platform was only designed to be left-hand drive. However, there are aftermarket tuners that have already accomplished non-trivial engine transplants in Solstices.

Since the Solstice, GM has designed another roadster that looks substantially different, but shares the same underlying Kappa platform: the Saturn Sky. The Saturn Sky was styled after the pattern of the Vauxhall VX Lightning design. There is a European version built off the same platform, essentially a turbo-engined Sky with Opel badging, under the name Opel GT.

Three other concept vehicles were built off the initial Kappa platform, and shown at the 2004 NAIAS: The Vauxhall VX Lightning, The Saturn Curve and Chevrolet Nomad. All three cars were received reasonably well, but were not nearly as embraced as the original Solstice Concept.

The original 2003 Vauxhall VX Lightning Concept is the same size as the original Solstice Concept, and pieced together in the same manner as the 2002 Solstice Concept, and had been shown in Europe several months earlier, before the Kappa platform had been finalized and named (debuting approximately mid-May 2003, for Vauxhall's Centenary celebration). The Vauxhall VX Lightning is the styling pattern after which the appearance of the Saturn Sky is based. When the Vauxhall VX was shown at the 2004 NAIAS, the Lightning part of the name was dropped and the vehicle referred to in the literature at the show as merely the "Vauxhall VX".

The Saturn Curve and the Chevrolet Nomad concept cars were built on "modified" versions of the Kappa platform, and exhibited 12 in longer wheelbases, and 2+2 seating.

Another concept car, built by Holden and called the Torana TT36, was rumored to have started as a Kappa-based car with a twin-turbocharged V6, but the modifications necessary to accommodate the engine, transmission, and general vehicle size made it necessary to refer to the platform as "based on architecture similar to the Kappa and the Corvette."
'06 NA -- Vin #6384 -- 106.5k miles
'08 GXP -- Vin #24073 --44k miles

Offline smartin

• Banned
  • Master Tech
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2008, 04:01:04 PM »

I don't know that there would be room across the top of the screen and can you imagine typing in the URL?   :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: Yea, you're probably right but once you have it bookmarked, you never have to type it again, Mel. :lol:

Offline spicy3480

• Solo Performance Sales
  • Vendor
  • Gearhead
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2008, 04:58:45 PM »
A great point about the bookmarking, but try and tell the website to someone in the correct order.  Now that's a challenge.
Steve Mariano
Solo Performance
516-655-9002 (7 days a week, until midnight EST)
goingsolo2@hotmail.com

2007 Mysterious Solstice GXP
INTRUDER

Offline Lucy'sDaddy

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
    • Lucy's cardomain page
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2008, 06:01:50 PM »
This is a GREAT forum you've started Joe! I am envious of your talent and abilities that you have demonstrated in bringing this NEW and IMPROVED Kappa car forum together, otherwise known as KappaPerformance.com.

I am the anonomious PM'er referred to in the 1st post of this thread. I have been VERY frustrated with the forum I've been on the most, and have just been informed that the one and only administrator is also the administrator over SIXTY other forums in AutoForumUniverse, and obviously has no interests in Monte Carlos AT ALL! The technical problems abound, and the membership has dwindled to only a few handfulls of members. Our "Monte Of The Year" contest only had 19 votes! PO-THETIC!

My main car, and my daily driver, is my '04 Monte Carlo Intimidator SS, with the L67 supercharger 3.8L engine. It WAS 240 hp stock, but is now about 315, and not much is original on the car, including the MONSTER stereo system. My screenname there is RocknSS04. Pushing 2000 posts.

Lucy, LadyT's '07 Agressive Solstice GXP was a FUN christmas present to her last Christmas, to relieve some of the miles being put on her '99 Silverado Sportside Z71. It now has just under 200K miles. I knew some of the modifications possible when I bought this car, but I didn't seriously think that with little mods, that it would EASILY surpass the L67 in performance. WHAT A FUN CAR!  AND, what a fun group of people! I've been to a couple of Monte Carlo meets, and they are just that, meets. The runs we've been to with Lucy, T2TRII and the Tail of the Dragon this summer (where the 4 hands up pic was taken!) were a BLAST! Makes me thing that 350 hp is A GOOD START for Lucy! REALLY wanting to do BTF's turbo wheel upgrade. You guys are GREAT! Makes me REAL glad we didn't get a Vette! They just "run" to the next coffee shop!

Thanks again for getting this forum up and running, and answering some basic questions about getting it started. This is to become the BEST forum on the web for Kappa Performance! I WILL be around! Bookmark went to the TOP of the list of many!

Wayne