Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Do you drive like a criminal and get low gas mileage like me? 17MPG  (Read 7970 times)

Offline NavyKnight

• Tech
Hello,

I was on the other solstice forum where all the little girls and grandma's go to pee, and everyone there is telling me that their GAS mileage is in the Mid 20's to 30 MPG.  I would like to hear from the GXP racers out there what type of average GAS mileage I would see on your car if you were to look right now.  I am assuming there are some medium mods done to your car including a tune and you drive like a criminal like me.  You also go to the track, drag race or go WOT at every freaking chance you get.  With this type of driving, a custom tune, Solo SR Exhaust and Solo High Flow CAT, I get 17 MPG after leaving it unreset for a month.  After I reset it, it hovers at around 14 MPG.  Anyone else have poor gas mileage like this and driving the GXP like how it was meant to be driven?

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
Re: Do you drive like a criminal and get low gas mileage like me? 17MPG
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2009, 12:13:08 PM »
Oh boy. 14MPG sounds familiar to me, my average is 13MPG because I drive most of the time in the evening and in the night when is no traffic and I do drive in the city, this is not because of the car, I hand it over to my girlfriend and he brought it back with 19 MPG driving in the same roads.
And in my good evenings I get even lower. See my mods in signature.
This is same when I go to drag races but there I generally forget to reset it, actually I don't reset it too often.
I got this car for fun and performance and not good MPG, if I wanted MPGer I went for a 1.5L diesel 90hp with 40 MPG not a 300hp gas car.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 12:18:58 PM by Kelu »
Dragula  ;) Opel GT  from Romania
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2009, 12:37:55 PM »
I'm stock, I drive it like I stole it, and I get 23-24.  :idk:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2012 Chevy Camaro 2SS RS LS3 TR6060.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon. 3.6, manual trans.

Ben L

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 12:45:39 PM »
No way I see 20+ in city driving.  14-17 in the city, at best, and sometimes less.    

Driving style -- Pushing up to 6 g on the tach between stop signs, then hard braking.  Well into boost maybe 1/3 of the entire elapsed driving time.  Conditions -- Hostile Wash DC city driving.  

In a couple of "high miler" experiments driving up to my parents in Pennsyltucky, I got up to 32 mpg, but in overdrive, barely feathering the throttle, and definitely DEFINITELY avoiding any boost.

Pretty good, I think.  Beats the single digit mpg I used to get in the blown 2003 Mach 1.

Offline NavyKnight

• Tech
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:02 PM »
Thank you Ben and Kelu for sharing your MPG.  Now I know it's not my broken car.  It seems as if everyone is so proud of their high MPG's, it just shows they drive like Nancies.  They're like "Hey look at me I get 30MPG in my turbo charged Solstice because I just drank my Metamucil to help with my spotting period!"  Take care.

Uranium, thanks for sharing, if you drove like you stole it, show me 17MPG  :  ) 

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »
Hey now, I don't drive my car slow. Ben, Goat and a few others can attest to that. :lol:
2005 Chevy Silverado Z71 Crew Cab, LM7 4L60E (What I traded my Kappa for. I regret nothing.)
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline Critterman

• Retired, thank you very much
  • Premium Member
  • General Manager
  • Baltimore/Washington Corridor
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »
I get 30 on the highway, 22-24 around town and 4 on the dragstrip.
GONE: (but not forgotten) 2006 Cool named BIXABEL (BISH-AH-BEL) Mayan for "Good Roads"

DDM
StageIII intercooled Supercharger, Wisco ceramic coated pistons, Carrillo rods, superTech valves and Springs
Ported and polished head
Exedy Stage II Clutch
big brake kit, slotted/drilled Rotors w/Porterfield pads & blue juice
Backbone, Probeam, Cross Strut Brace
Underhood, trunk, & door Lights
ZOK suspension

JPM
Center console, door inserts, & dash
Seat bolster & lumbar support

Focuztech Tri-Y Header & hi-flow cat
Solo Performance SQR-2
Norm's Rear facia
Heated Seats
Black Cat inserts

Offline NavyKnight

• Tech
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 02:19:05 PM »
Critter,

I would love to show 4MPG on my dash one day.  I would be so excited, I would even take a picture of it.  Hell,  I should just syphon the gas and see if I can get to 2MPG.  :  )

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 02:42:55 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A_0eyQl-Q

6.8 down to 6.6 MPG :D if I would sit more probably going to lower.
Arabas: take fotos, videos and keep all girls locked inside the house. Kelu's charm is irresistible !!!!

Ben L

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:58:09 PM »
Critter,

I would love to show 4MPG on my dash one day.  I would be so excited, I would even take a picture of it.  Hell,  I should just syphon the gas and see if I can get to 2MPG.  :  )

A brake-locked heel and toe three minute top of tach burnout should do it, eh?

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 02:59:24 PM »
I get 4 to 7 mpg at the drag strip, 20-24 when I drive it like I stole it.  32-36 when on the highway.

Offline kennysabarese

• "The Professor"
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • Make or take?
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
 I'm on the track today. And I'm at 10MPG :lol:

Normally driving around town and the highway where I don't try to conserve fuel, I get 22-24mpg
2007 Sky Redline - Wester's Tuned - GMPP sensors - RMR Roll Bar - Kirkey Seats
Schroth Harnesses - SSR Wheels - Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs - Complete Mod List
kennysabarese.com - Photos - Facebook - Twitter - RSS

lil goat

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 06:57:53 PM »
I'm averagimg about 21.4 right this minute, I have the 2 cycle oil in my gas and MEKP. It is up from a pretty consistent 19.8 before. I get in the 30's on the highway easy if I stay under 80, following Ben in the Cobra, I just watched the millage keep going down down down. U-238 the stock tune is leaner than any aftermarket tune I know of, so even driving like you do you get better millage.

Offline Uranium-238

• V8 power...Acquired!
  • Premium Member
  • Gearhead
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 07:00:03 PM »
Yes, I know. Trying to prove a point that you can drive like mad and still get great gas mileage with these cars. Just because we see mid 20 mpg doesn't mean we don't whip the ponies.
2021 Ram 2500 Cummins

Offline baconbits

• Premium Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 07:45:18 PM »
Kelu.. check under the car and see if there is a hole in the fuel tank... Geesh even my pathfinder gets 13 mpg in town

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 08:16:21 PM »
Guys, we (europeans) pay 5$ for a gallon, now we are talking :)

Offline davytudope

• Tech
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 08:23:59 PM »
I daily drive my car, autocross almost every weekend this year.  Plus I have hit the strip up about 5 times this year.  I have all the mods listed below.  And the only highway driving I do is to the track and back.  I average 27 mpg, and thats not what the overly optimistic dash readout says.  Thats from math at the pump.  I get my "fast" out of the way at the track.
2007 solstice gxp
TEAM FAIL RACING

Offline Deep-GXP

• BooYah!
  • Founding Member
  • Master Tech
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 04:18:52 PM »
I go from about 18mpg-22 mpg depending on how i drive :)
:dancing::dancing::dancing:

Offline GaryH

• Founding Member
  • Tech
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 09:17:33 PM »
36?  I'm guessing that is what is on the DIC.  Not miles driven divided by gallons used which is the only way to  be sure what your real MPG is.
I get 4 to 7 mpg at the drag strip, 20-24 when I drive it like I stole it.  32-36 when on the highway.
07 Sky
VIN  1745
Magnaflow Quad Tip exhaust
Tail of the Dragon 2008
Denver 2009
Ohio 2010
08 Sky DDM SC stage ll
Solo Mach exhaust

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 04:16:51 AM »
I did a reset two days ago, I didn't drive anything different than normal and in this morning I checked my mpg:

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

That's why I keep telling to everyone the foot is the only mod which affects MPG :)

Offline NavyKnight

• Tech
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:27 AM »
Kelu,  In your town, does everyone drive aggressively like you?  How strict are the cops with driving offenses?  Also what kind of racing events do you guys participate in?  Street racing?  Parking lot burn outs?  Have any crazy vids?  My impression of Romania just from videos and ignorant assumptions is that there are many rural areas and lots of space to drive around, it's always cloudy, the women are all HOT and the COPS are all corrupt?  Am I correct?

Offline GXPinKC

• Premium Member
  • Gearhead
  • GXPinKC
    • KappaPerformance.com
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2009, 08:27:21 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9A_0eyQl-Q

6.8 down to 6.6 MPG :D if I would sit more probably going to lower.

Kelu, had to repost because my mileage has gone down the tubes since getting the Martin Tune at the Denver Meet.  I still have a picture of my DIC that my wife Carol took after we drove up to the 2nd Annual North American Solstice Meet 2007 in Nashville, Tennessee.  I have the picture saved with other shots on my computer.  As we pulled in the parking lot on June 20th 2007, for the Meet (we always arrive at Meets a day early) that went from June 21-June 24, 2007, of course it was the Summer Solstice, and my wife said, lets take a picture of the cumulative MPG on your DIC.  Well, we did and it read "ECON 28.9 MPG".  Well that included all the miles to date and it was a long drive from Olathe, Kansas to Nashville, Tennessee!  I was pretty proud of that, because we had just taken delivery on December 27, 2006!  Miss Red Eagle was still pretty virgin!

Times have changed with my new Tune.  Today, the mileage is 14,468 and ECON to date is 24.1 MPG.  I have never looked back!  It's more fun to do performance mods and put the peddle to the mettle!  I really don't give a "hoot" anymore about mileage.  Having safe fun is more important!  Thanks NavyKnight for starting this thread, and thanks Kelu (my buddie) for your posts.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:12:29 AM by GXPinKC »
Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-2006, Delivery: 12-27-2006 

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed, Ebony Leather seats w red accent stitching, Chrome Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals & Premium Headliner.

MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit.  Deal: $28,180. ($2,120 under MSRP).

DDM Race Backbone, Probeam, & Red Cross Bay Brace
JPM Leather Center Console
Windrestrictor
MRZ Performance Billet Caps
Beach Party FBC
Solo Mach Exhaust

Offline duckSol

• Founding Member
  • Master Tech
  • Onward through the fog
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
I'm averagimg about 21.4 right this minute, I have the 2 cycle oil in my gas and MEKP. It is up from a pretty consistent 19.8 before. I get in the 30's on the highway easy if I stay under 80, following Ben in the Cobra, I just watched the millage keep going down down down. U-238 the stock tune is leaner than any aftermarket tune I know of, so even driving like you do you get better millage.

MEKP  :huh:

if this iz what I think it is  :brnout:
2012 Summer SOLSTICE In The Land Of SKY

Offline Kelu

• Premium Member
  • Shop Foreman
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2009, 09:02:11 AM »
NavyKnight Yes, especially during the night I know many guys driving pretty aggressively, I don't like to show of and I do my hard drive when I'm alone and when is no too much traffic. Cops can't do too much, if they don't have a speed radar then I can drive as fast as I can, living here you get used where they park a speed radar car, we don't have moving cars radars. Also they must stop you with a official mobile measurement car which are pretty rare to contest you exhaust, gas emission or tinted windows but you can fix that next day.
I can get my backend loose even in front of the cops, I generally try to avoid such acts but once I was doing a turn at 4am in downtown and of course I did a drift long turn and I got pulled over, but they can't do too much, the cop verified my papers in details to get me with anything wrong and maximum what he could do is to fine me for silence disturber but I could always contest his fine in the court and most of the time you get the fine canceled.

Illegal drag racing is pretty known here but never heard someone convicted for that in the last 3-4 years since I'm in this world.

I'm living in Bucharest, 3 millions very crowded capital. Driving around country is a real adventure because of the status of the roads, romanian drivers and their type of driving.

My car club fellows pretty much do legal drag racing and there are some doing illegal also something like twice a week, there are also buddies pretty advanced in drift.
So you are not imagine too far from reality, there is not so much cloudy but is a lot of dust and dirt and smog and I get my car dirty after 12-24h maximum after I wash it, even if I don't drive it. And yes, girls are hot why do you think I didn't get married until now  :rofl:
Maybe you missed this topic which I did in purpose to share whan living in Romania means:
http://kappaperformance.com/forum/index.php?topic=2674.0

GXPinKC When I bought my car from germany and bring it to Romania I was doing 27MPG, since then when traveling I average 23MPG without going to high speeds. My normal clean driving has 14MPG. Hell with gas, I want fun.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 09:07:15 AM by Kelu »

Offline NavyKnight

• Tech
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »
Kelu,  I noticed in many you tube videos there are soo many luxury cars in Romania, but I heard it's a poor country.  Is it true that there are lots of luxury cars everywhere you look?