Welcome Guest!!!

Thank you for visiting the GM Kappa Performance Forum. This forum is the only performance oriented forum for all GM Kappa Platform Enthusiasts.  We hope you will join and share your experiences.  Becoming a member is FREE! If you want to advertise on this forum, email KappaPerformance at yahoo.com.

Registration required to view the forum attachments. Below is a sample of the current top 25 topics.
Supporting Membership has many advantages.

More information on becoming a supporting member or vendor can be found on the sub forum; Site Help and Suggestions; thread - Supporting Members and Vendors.

Author Topic: Tips on installing new tulip panel...anyone got any helpful words of wisdom?  (Read 5787 times)

Offline scottydel

• Tech
Hey all,
I'm going to be installing a new tulip panel and was wondering if any one has done this...and if there are any potential pitfalls to avoid.

Looks like the weather stripping gaskets that overlap the edge of the tulip just rear of the doors are glued on???  I know these seals are very expensive so I am hesitant to do this project myself.  Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
Scott
'08 Brazen NA Loaded w/Premium, Preferred and Convenience Pkgs, Air, 5-speed, 6-disc Monsoon w/mp3, Chrome Wheels, Rear Spoiler, LSD, and Sport Metallic Pedals
Mods:
DDMWorks Stage II SuperCharged and Trifecta Tuned, DDMWorks Pro-beam, DDMWorks Race Backbone, DDMWorks Coil Cover, Solo Performance SQR-2 Exhaust, Norms Rear Diffuser, MRZ Performance Billet Engine Bay and Trunk Lid Covers, Kappashield, Lil' Chromies, Opel GT Antenna

Offline DeepBlueGXP

• KappaPerformance Site Owner
  • Administrator
  • Shop Foreman
  • Displaced Buffalo Bills Fan
    • Kappa Performance Forum
If you don't mine me asking, why?

The plastic panels behind the seats need to be removed to get to the screws and there are screw on the trunk side also.  The seals can be peeled back off the tulip only and reapplied with 3m double sided stick tape.  there are two gobs of glue from the factory underneath also.    I can't rem if there is anything else.   Call Joe at JPM Coachworks since he's done many of these. 

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
Hello Joe is right, we do this when we want to change the color. However we dont completely remove the outside weatherseals just the inside part leaving the outside edge undisturbed. Move the seats forward to remove the rear plastic panel behind the seats so you can get to the screws for the tulip panel. Have fun takes us about an hour. Thanks Norm

« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 10:47:57 PM by normsf »

Offline scottydel

• Tech
Thanks guys!

DeepblueGXP, I am replacing the tulip with a new one because the driver's side little trap door for the hinge is missing.  I tried to get ahold of just the door, but seems to be a very hard part to obtain.
I bought the whole tulip panel from ICS and it's just as well because the panel had a few chips around the opening almost like someone tried to pry the little hinge door open or something.  Any way the dealership I bought my Solstice from gave me the money to buy the part..I just need to install it.

Norm are you saying I can just take out the screws and pry the seal back to get the panel out without removing the seal???  I've got the whole panel and support bracket so should I remove it from the bracket and just replace the silver part.

I wish I knew how to post a pic and I'd show you the part I have ...here's a link to a Saturn Sky part like the one I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SATURN-SKY-TULIP-PANEL-ASSEMBLY-25993803-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3361300ee9QQitemZ220673871593QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

'08 Brazen NA Loaded w/Premium, Preferred and Convenience Pkgs, Air, 5-speed, 6-disc Monsoon w/mp3, Chrome Wheels, Rear Spoiler, LSD, and Sport Metallic Pedals
Mods:
DDMWorks Stage II SuperCharged and Trifecta Tuned, DDMWorks Pro-beam, DDMWorks Race Backbone, DDMWorks Coil Cover, Solo Performance SQR-2 Exhaust, Norms Rear Diffuser, MRZ Performance Billet Engine Bay and Trunk Lid Covers, Kappashield, Lil' Chromies, Opel GT Antenna

Offline normsf

• Vendor
  • Master Tech
  • Norms Fiberglass
    • Norms Fiberglass
Thanks guys!

Norm are you saying I can just take out the screws and pry the seal back to get the panel out without removing the seal???  I've got the whole panel and support bracket so should I remove it from the bracket and just replace the silver part.

Hello yes thats correct, move the seats forward, remove the large back plastic panel, carefully pry the weather strip up on the inside portion then reapply with double sided tape after your done, remove the screws, clips for the cables and lift out the tulip panel its not that hard. Thanks Norm